The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What happened to helping fellow riders out?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 12:52 PM
TerryFXST
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I've had a few situations where by the time I saw somebody on the side of the road it was too late for me to move over and onto the shoulder. On the interstate you usually have to have a pretty substantial lead time in order to make a safe stop. In those situations I would have been 1/2 a mile or more up the road before I could have safely gotten to the shoulder.

Old 08-06-2010, 11:57 AM
WESeib
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Classic Eagle
I personally dont belive in the "I always stop" story.
I'm sorry you don't believe me.

Granted, I've only been riding for about two and a half years.

However, there has not been one time that I have seen a bike on the side of the road that I haven't stopped. I'm not saying I am very useful, but, at the very least I can offer a cell phone.

When I say, not once, I mean that.
If they are on the side of the road and I see them, I stop.

I'll turn around at the next exit and come back around if I am not able to stop in time safely.
I'm never in such a hurry that I can't help someone who might need it.

Old 08-06-2010, 03:03 PM
chuckw2
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 384 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by TerryFXST
I've had a few situations where by the time I saw somebody on the side of the road it was too late for me to move over and onto the shoulder. On the interstate you usually have to have a pretty substantial lead time in order to make a safe stop. In those situations I would have been 1/2 a mile or more up the road before I could have safely gotten to the shoulder.
+1. coming down the backway from Big Bear one day. Two lane road doing about 75 with traffic behind me and no safe place to pull over let alone turn around we passed a guy and his Harley in a small turnout. Didn't notice him till we were right there. He was on the call box. Felt sorta bad about not stopping but would have felt worse had I made a dangerous manuever to stop and gotten my wife and myself hurt.

Did stop last weekend for a group standing next to an EG on the side of the road in the mountains. They were waiting for someone to come pick up the bike. Their dad was coming up to a family reunion and blacked out, went off the road and hit his head on a rock and backflipped through a barb wire fence. H elived and was already gone. We talked for a bit and moved on.