The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buncha crooks

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2010 | 06:43 PM
skootchnc
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force

Originally Posted by alkay191
You dealer employs industry trained professionals. wouln't you expect them to know that?
If you HAVE to educate yourself to know more than your service advisor why do you need him?
Do I expect them to be knowledgeable about the tread pattern of every tire made, and sold in this country? NO... I do expect them to know about the tires they sell.

But I made the effort to research tires on my own. I asked questions, and listened to the replies. Which is my point to the OP. He needs to ask around to get better tire for his use.

Although, if I got almost one year out of a rear tire..... I'd be a happy camper.

2 rear tires and 1 front tire each year get's "pricey".....but then I could make them last longerr, I suppose.... if I just stop riding the bike

Old 07-21-2010 | 09:37 PM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member

Thought I would add this. I was in my dealer today to replace a broken hd oil pressure gauge. We found out it is not available unless I order the whole kit. Dealer has an Arlen Ness custom gauge set up for twin cam. My oil pressure gauge on my Twin cam will work on my Evo which has the defective gauge. Dealer lets me have the Arlen Ness gauge at his cost since he can't get me a replacement. I thought that was above and beyond.

Old 07-22-2010 | 11:58 AM
scoteh
Club Member

Originally Posted by oldairboater
Thought I would add this. I was in my dealer today to replace a broken hd oil pressure gauge. We found out it is not available unless I order the whole kit. Dealer has an Arlen Ness custom gauge set up for twin cam. My oil pressure gauge on my Twin cam will work on my Evo which has the defective gauge. Dealer lets me have the Arlen Ness gauge at his cost since he can't get me a replacement. I thought that was above and beyond.
It's nice to hear something positive once in a while. Thanks, JB!

Old 07-22-2010 | 06:54 PM
drifter27011
Tourer

I have not had any problems with my dealer and they have always treated me fair.
But for tires I buy online and have an Indy shop change them for me.

Old 07-22-2010 | 09:03 PM
bjewell
Seasoned HDF Member

You balk at replacing a tire with 5K on it?? Hell my friend, I'm lucky to get three on my Hayabusa. That tire is the only thing between you and reincarnation and your wife to boot...

I think the guy was doing you a favor...

Old 07-24-2010 | 08:10 AM
Classic Eagle
Road Warrior

I had a rear flat in the Smokeys in '09 and had to be towed to the dealer in Pigeon Forge. While there, the service tech came and told me that I needed a new front as well. I had reservations about that and questioned him. He took me into the shop and pointed out the small cracks between the treads and a couple on the sidewalls. These were Avon Venom's and had nearly 12,000 miles on them. Needless to say, I bought 2 tires that day. Im glad he took the time to check it out and his honesty with me on that subject.

Old 07-24-2010 | 09:35 AM
motocriz
Cruiser

I have only worked with one Harley dealer and I have had no bad experiences. Perhaps I am lucky that they are near. In the past year or two many dealerships have gone under. This guy has not only survived, but purchased two other struggling dealerships. I guess it pays to care about your customers. I am sure they are not the cheapest, but they deliver what is promised. They also know me by name even though I purchased my bike through a private sale.

Whenever I spend money at that dealer I know that I am helping pay for employees that are "American Made"...unlike some of the parts, shirts, etc....so...I don't mind so much.

As for the tire thing. Well, unfortunately, this country has sunk to level of being the most litigious in the world. I am sure Harley has a "standard" they set in regards to many things (such as tire wear). At a certain wear level their people have to recommend a tire change. If customer says no, then they have to document the recommendation.

This is not unique to Harley. If they don't make that recommendation (and document it) there are too many people that will immediatley point the blame if that rear tire blows out. Lawsuits and other BS. They will make the legal claim that they had the bike in for a front tire change and the service department should have recommended a rear tire change. They take it to court and they win.

Old 07-24-2010 | 10:28 AM
sniper77
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Classic Eagle
I had a rear flat in the Smokeys in '09 and had to be towed to the dealer in Pigeon Forge. While there, the service tech came and told me that I needed a new front as well. I had reservations about that and questioned him. He took me into the shop and pointed out the small cracks between the treads and a couple on the sidewalls. These were Avon Venom's and had nearly 12,000 miles on them. Needless to say, I bought 2 tires that day. Im glad he took the time to check it out and his honesty with me on that subject.
I hate to tell ya but Avon tires crack way before their useful life is over.