The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buncha crooks

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2010 | 11:44 PM
Other Sheep
Ultimate HDF Member

I use a local motorcycle salvage yard. He has the big books and gives me about 20% off the price listed in the book. He mounts my tires and balances them for less than $20 each if I bring them in.

I'm not stupid. The local harley dealer wanted more than twice what the indy charges for the same thing.

Time to go shopping instead of just paying premium prices at dealers that don't care.

Old 07-21-2010 | 06:03 AM
skootchnc
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force

Originally Posted by VTL nut
But who should I blame given less than a year ago the service writer told me "oem are substandard, but our replacements are much better" and now @ 2.5 K less the "better replacement" needs replacing?
Its the dis honest bullshit that gets me. Be straight with me, and tell me the moco puts really soft compound tires on for safety, and repeat sales, and I can make an informed choice to go to a different brand. But don't stand there and tell me the 2nd time around will be better while in fact it is worse.
As was said above, if he wanted to point it out, cool, but don't use scare tactics to try and cram something down my throat. As you can see from the attached pic, it has Sturgis and then some left in it. I don't have a tread depth guage, but c'mon..............
Generally....Dealerships sell OEM, or OEM replacement tires. That limits YOUR choices. Get informed about tires There are plenty of good tires, that perform better than OEM. There are tires that out last OEM.

I brought my bike into a local dealership for the annual inspection. Service writer told me "the bike needs a rear tire... you've worn the center tread clear off"
I had a (fairly) new Dunlop Elite-3. There IS NO "center tread". I didn't argue, or get huffy. I said "never mind" and went to a local indy, who I knew was familar with E-3's.

Start asking questions at your model's forum.... lots of folks are "upgrading" their tires... Plenty of great choices. I like the wear and grip of the Elite-3's.... Others like the grip of the AVON.

Old 07-21-2010 | 06:21 AM
alkay191
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by skootchnc
Generally....Dealerships sell OEM, or OEM replacement tires. That limits YOUR choices. Get informed about tires There are plenty of good tires, that perform better than OEM. There are tires that out last OEM.

I brought my bike into a local dealership for the annual inspection. Service writer told me "the bike needs a rear tire... you've worn the center tread clear off"
I had a (fairly) new Dunlop Elite-3. There IS NO "center tread".

You dealer employs industry trained professionals. wouln't you expect them to know that?
If you HAVE to educate yourself to know more than your service advisor why do you need him?

Old 07-21-2010 | 10:07 AM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member

I got 12k out of my rear and the front looks like it will go past 20k.
Looking at the pics you posted I'd say you could get another 2000 miles on that tire. Your plan is 1300 miles to Sturgis and back + some riding while you are there and you'll probably be ready for a new tire, it may make it until the end of riding season.
Be watching for the winter deals.

Old 07-21-2010 | 10:14 AM
cromagnon
Grand HDF Member

Maybe if you complain they will give you 10% off a T-shirt. You will still drop 23 bucks. What a bunch of rip-offs.

Old 07-21-2010 | 10:27 AM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member

I gauge my own tires so I know the wear. My dealer has never pulled that kind of crap on me. I have changed my own tires before. I have had my dealer do my tire change outs. I have had an independent change tires out for me. It is all relative. I can save money doing it myself but it is hot dirty work. I can save money getting my independent to do it but it still cost me money. I can get the dealer to do it and it comes with dealer backing if I have a problem. Motorcycle tires are expensive and don't last for crap is the bottom line. We give up durability for traction. I would rather bitch about the weather then tires because I deal with weather everyday but tires only a few times a year.

Old 07-21-2010 | 11:52 AM
TKrustyK
Advanced

Originally Posted by cbz1200n
20K, what are you using, a wooden wheel for a tire? That is such an exception to the rule it just skews what is the norm. Same goes with those who 12+ k out of an SE 180.
CB
Yup, very small crowd indeed! I just replaced my OEMs at 17,500 miles.

Old 07-21-2010 | 01:44 PM
Lord_Rahl
Tourer

my favorite is. "you need new brakes your current ones are at about 50%" ... i'll need new brakes at 20% thanks mister.

Old 07-21-2010 | 02:02 PM
scoteh
Club Member

You can only be burned if you allow someone to burn you. Repeat as necessary. You always have the ability to say, "No, thanks" and take your business elsewhere.

BTW, I got 24K out of my stock front and could have gotten more, but I had a big ride coming so I changed it out.

Old 07-21-2010 | 02:23 PM
RoadKingRon1
Outstanding HDF Member

Believe it or not I have a little over 33K on my front. On my 3rd rear....

Quick Reply: Buncha crooks