The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buncha crooks

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2010 | 05:26 AM
dope_man_21
Ultimate HDF Member

My stock dunlop lasted 6800 miles, the replacement only lasted maybe 5000 miles, I changed brands (and I was told beforehand that the replacement for the stock tire would not last as long) I went with a Pirelli tire and it now has over 7500 miles on it and is showing little to no wear.

Old 07-19-2010 | 06:43 AM
Maclugie
Road Master

Well said Grendel4. I lasted about 5 months in the "corporate world" after I retired from the military. Those meetings do occur and they occur often. It is an extremely competitive business and the big boys do have a boss and that is the stockholders of the MoCo. People put everything they have into these businesses. Not defending dishonest business practices but many use their homes as a line of credit to make expenses. The business fails - they lose their home. The MoCo puts a lot of tech into everything on their bikes. Rarely do you hear a biker went down due to a failed part. I would have replaced that tire bro.

Old 07-19-2010 | 06:54 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member

I like my dealer and i feel they treat me pretty good but i have never let them change 1 of my tires...Unless it's an emergency and i am on a trip i won't. I buy my tires online and let the Indy do it.

Old 07-20-2010 | 04:21 PM
VTL nut
|
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by sniper77
I'm still wanting to know how much tread is left on that back tire?

If you don't have a gauge use a penny and stick Honest Abe's head in the tread and take a camera phone pic and post it so we can measure for you.
I am not disputing the "subjective" statement of it needing replacement, its just the line of **** they fed me less than a year ago to sell me this one.

As said earlier, I thought Harley stood for something (and I don't confuse their customers with their company), for some of the shadiest lookin peeps on some of the gnarliest lookin bikes I have seen, have been some of the coolest people I have met out and about.

I am sturgis bound on this one (641 miles 1 way) with confidence, and later this season I will buy a different brand and have a different dealer mount and balance it for me.

Attached Thumbnails Buncha crooks-p1010147.jpg  
Old 07-20-2010 | 05:17 PM
asm481
Road Master

I just reread your original post. You are/were getting a new front tire installed at 12.5k. That is a bit short. I get closer to 20 on my front. I am not saying you do burn outs but I do know the area you live. Some of the best roads you can find for a scooter. Not the dragon but you know what I mean. Is it possible you got more comfortable with your bike and drove a bit more aggressive? As far as different tires there are many, some softer and some harder. Just seems you are being a bit short with a dealer then you should be on this one. Whatever you do, be safe.

Old 07-20-2010 | 05:36 PM
sniper77
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by VTL nut
I am not disputing the "subjective" statement of it needing replacement, its just the line of **** they fed me less than a year ago to sell me this one.

As said earlier, I thought Harley stood for something (and I don't confuse their customers with their company), for some of the shadiest lookin peeps on some of the gnarliest lookin bikes I have seen, have been some of the coolest people I have met out and about.

I am sturgis bound on this one (641 miles 1 way) with confidence, and later this season I will buy a different brand and have a different dealer mount and balance it for me.

That's understandable but, from looking at the head of old Abe sticking out of your tread I would say you are at roughly 3/32" of tread left.

Now, if you were in my shop and had talked about a trip to Sturgis or anywhere of 12 - 1300 miles I would suggest you get a tire or just keep a close watch on this one and be prepared for the worst.

I know you're just ranting and I won't stop you but in the dealers defense he was covering his *** with both his boss and keeping you off the side of the road a long way from home.

Old 07-20-2010 | 05:57 PM
NoLongerAmember
Banned

Originally Posted by asm481
I just reread your original post. You are/were getting a new front tire installed at 12.5k. That is a bit short. I get closer to 20 on my front. I am not saying you do burn outs but I do know the area you live. Some of the best roads you can find for a scooter. Not the dragon but you know what I mean. Is it possible you got more comfortable with your bike and drove a bit more aggressive? As far as different tires there are many, some softer and some harder. Just seems you are being a bit short with a dealer then you should be on this one. Whatever you do, be safe.
20K, what are you using, a wooden wheel for a tire? That is such an exception to the rule it just skews what is the norm. Same goes with those who 12+ k out of an SE 180.
CB

Old 07-20-2010 | 07:18 PM
Stryker1
Advanced
Default prima donnas

Let's all face it...Harley Davidson Motor Company and all the respective dealerships are a total bunch of PRIMA DONNAS!!!

The company acts as if we are so lucky to have them in our meaningless little lives.

HD is becoming one of the worst run and most mismanaged companies out there.

HD needs to get over themselves and understand who the customer is.

Generally speaking the company treats their customer's like **** with poor service and careless attitude.

Somehow they have managed to create an image that continues to thrive and attract the masses no matter how bad the company management and service is.

Maybe that is the problem...they're more interested in selling and "image" than selling a bike.

Going into a dealer anymore is like walking into a god damn department store. It's all about maximizing your customer base...old school bikers, new school bikers, businessmen, wannabe badasses, women, kids...HD bandannas, HD jackets, HD bracelets, HD wallet chains, HD shower curtains, HD pool tables, HD clocks, HD toe rings, HD shot glasses, HD straw hats, HD, button downs, HD slippers, HD coasters...blah blah blah...jesus christ!!! can you guys just focus on the god damn bikes!!!!

I think people like getting dressed up in their costumes more than the actual experience of the ride...maybe this is what HD has cashed-in on?

SORRY...just had to vent. I wonder if anybody else feels like I do...

Originally Posted by VTL nut
I know its been said a million times, but, the god damn stealers must be really gettin hungry.
Or is it that peeps who ride Harley's are made of money?
I went up to one of my local dealers yesterday to get a new front tire installed prior to Sturgis (12.5 K miles @ wear bars). After having my bike in the shop about 5 minutes the service writer comes out and says, "you need a new rear tire as well".
I said "WHAT", you sob's sold me that rear less than a year ago, told me the o.e.m. were less than par, and said I would get many more miles out of the replacement (same make and model). Well, I had about 7500 miles on the original, I now have 12500 on it, so you do the math.......
5 K on it and he has me sign a slip of paper saying "you have been warned". We stood and argued the merits of propper inflation, riding style, etc....I fully understand the science behind tires.
To which I finally said "do the front, and stick a new rear one in your ***"...and signed his slip of paper.
I keep it proplerly inflated, my wife goes about a buck and 1/2, and rides with me only on an ocasional weekend. We are in the country and all of riding is spent on back roads, etc....It is wearing beautifully which is a testiment to care and riding style.
I was talking to a couple of "old tymers" there who ride baggers, and they said "let us hook you up with XXXXX, cause that ain't right".
Well, Mr. XXXXX comes over, and says the typical **** I would expect, including the service writers get a little sell happy, but he did manage to calm me down.
I guess the point I am at right now is, I beleive the moco has Dunlop make **** for tires so they can generate revenue, the dealers will try and sell ice cubes to eskimo's, and given the lack of integrity and honesty, my end of summer new rear tire will be a Pirelli, or Michelin, or somethin........and it ain't gonna be bought at a stealer.

Old 07-20-2010 | 08:38 PM
alkay191
Ultimate HDF Member

Back in the day, as they say, I spent a lot of $$$ in harley shops. That was in the day when local dealers knew you by name, knew what you rode and treated you as friend.
Unfortunetly the mo-co became corporate and changed. I understand that thats what they need to do to survive, but I (we) don't have to care or support them. I bought my last new bike in '95 and since then I spent only $25 at a dealer on a duplicate keys for my used FXD. I only support local indy shops that care wheather you'll come back or not.
I won't shed a tear when mo-co goes under. F 'em. That will just create room for Victory, Buell and anyone else with vision and guts to step in. I just hope they learn from mo-co mistakes and treat the customers beter.

Old 07-20-2010 | 09:28 PM
SURFOR Chop
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Stryker1
Let's all face it...Harley Davidson Motor Company and all the respective dealerships are a total bunch of PRIMA DONNAS!!!

The company acts as if we are so lucky to have them in our meaningless little lives.

HD is becoming one of the worst run and most mismanaged companies out there.

HD needs to get over themselves and understand who the customer is.

Generally speaking the company treats their customer's like **** with poor service and careless attitude.

Somehow they have managed to create an image that continues to thrive and attract the masses no matter how bad the company management and service is.

Maybe that is the problem...they're more interested in selling and "image" than selling a bike.

Going into a dealer anymore is like walking into a god damn department store. It's all about maximizing your customer base...old school bikers, new school bikers, businessmen, wannabe badasses, women, kids...HD bandannas, HD jackets, HD bracelets, HD wallet chains, HD shower curtains, HD pool tables, HD clocks, HD toe rings, HD shot glasses, HD straw hats, HD, button downs, HD slippers, HD coasters...blah blah blah...jesus christ!!! can you guys just focus on the god damn bikes!!!!

I think people like getting dressed up in their costumes more than the actual experience of the ride...maybe this is what HD has cashed-in on?

SORRY...just had to vent. I wonder if anybody else feels like I do...
+1 ... I know a couple of dealers okay ... one in the PAC NW and one in VA .... They are / have some good people ... also have a couple of 'dicks' work for them ... don't know if they aren't onboard with the head shed at their local dealership or if the top uses them to carry out the MoCo mandates (bad cop) to their customer service (good cop) face ....

I find it depends on who you work with and your approach ... when going to a dealership I don't know I generally expect the worst and hope for the best ....

Unless I'm in a bind, I do my homework before going to the dealership and decide what my bottom line is ... either get a deal, spend my bottom line, walk away or ... if its not a lot of money pay retail or what they're asking ....

I know what you're saying about department store ... not knocking those who like to wear the regalia/pirate costume ... but, all the trivia and paraphenalia is over the top ... I guess one of the reasons I'm not really into a lot of Willie G doo-dads on my bike ....

I hold the brand in high esteem, notwithstanding, and would really hate to see the MoCo go out of business; but, I think it is imperative for them to revisit the business model ....

R/
'Chop

Quick Reply: Buncha crooks