The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buncha crooks

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2010 | 01:06 PM
parts eeter
Outstanding HDF Member
Default Thats why

Thats why when I got my HD and the time came to change tires I bought a jack, and I change my own tires with Motion Pro 6 inch spoons and bead protectors. Harbor Freight sells a balancer with HD adapters. It will pay for itself the first change considering HD charges like 160 bux to change tires!!! I have been changing my own tires since I started riding street bikes at 17 yrs old. Considering the amount of tires i burnt up riding sportbikes I couldnt tell you how much I have saved.

Old 07-18-2010 | 01:49 PM
NoLongerAmember
Banned

Originally Posted by VTL nut
I said "WHAT", you sob's sold me that rear less than a year ago, told me the o.e.m. were less than par, and said I would get many more miles out of the replacement (same make and model). Well, I had about 7500 miles on the original, I now have 12500 on it, so you do the math.......
5 K on it and he has me sign a slip of paper saying "you have been warned".
As far as wear it is the opposite, you will alway get more mileage out of the OEM tires than you will from the exact same tire you buy retail. They simply have a harder compound than the retail versions. My OEM k591 went 11K my k591 replacement went 7K. You won't get the same from the front and please don't tell me you put that piece of crap D401 back on.
CB

Old 07-18-2010 | 02:40 PM
asm481
Road Master

I looked at your tire pic. That is when I get the gauge out and start saving pennies for a new shoe.

Old 07-18-2010 | 02:56 PM
kk6pg
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by asm481
I looked at your tire pic. That is when I get the gauge out and start saving pennies for a new shoe.
I'm with you. That tire has hit the 50% mark, and any responsible shop will tell you it needs to be replaced. I'd say its about time for new rubber too

Old 07-18-2010 | 05:06 PM
jaxdwg
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by VTL nut
But who should I blame given less than a year ago the service writer told me "oem are substandard, but our replacements are much better" and now @ 2.5 K less the "better replacement" needs replacing?
Its the dis honest bullshit that gets me. Be straight with me, and tell me the moco puts really soft compound tires on for safety, and repeat sales, and I can make an informed choice to go to a different brand. But don't stand there and tell me the 2nd time around will be better while in fact it is worse.
As was said above, if he wanted to point it out, cool, but don't use scare tactics to try and cram something down my throat. As you can see from the attached pic, it has Sturgis and then some left in it. I don't have a tread depth guage, but c'mon..............
They just shut the door behind me which is cool for there are about 5 other dealers within 1/2 - 2 hours of me so.......
The tire in the pic looks like there is plenty of tread left. Don't get upset, just tell him no thanks and go on. Some guys use the hi pressure or scare tactics but you have to know your bike well enough not to get sucked in to that stuff, but I would go see the boss and let him know what you think of that garbage.

Last edited by jaxdwg; 07-18-2010 at 05:15 PM. Reason: not enough info
Old 07-18-2010 | 08:22 PM
PKellyMc
Outstanding HDF Member
From: PacNW; Beacon of Conservatism in a Sea of Liberals.......AZ Snowbird; Just another Conservative

When I took my Wide Glide in for the 1000-mi service ($411...ack!), during the money/findings session, the service writer told me "We recommend you think about a new front tire; you're down to 4/32" and we recommend replacement at 3/32". I looked at him and said "You know I'm here for my ONE-thousand mile check-up, don't you?" Realizing how ridiculous he sounded, he quickly went on to the other notes on the service sheet.

I went home and logged in to the Dunlop website. That model tire starts life with only 5/32" of tread, and I thought to myself, "that guy wanted me to chuck 60% of my tire life?!?" I've come to the sad, cynical conclusion that, like our local police who used to operate under "To Protect and Serve", most dealerships are now operating primarily under the NEW paradigm, "To Generate Revenue".

Last edited by PKellyMc; 07-18-2010 at 08:24 PM.
Old 07-18-2010 | 08:56 PM
Topspin
Road Warrior

I find that the Indys are getting just as bad. Seems like everyone wants to drive a Lexus these days. Damn hard to find a good trustworthy, honest, hard working mechanic. I'm still looking!

Old 07-18-2010 | 09:22 PM
confederate
Most Wanted

It's garbage like that that drives customers away to other manufactures, not to mention all the chinese parts on these cycles. About 4 weeks ago, I had a dealer insist that I had to extend my wiring and get new cables to put on some 4 inch risers. I did it myself and no new cables or extended wiring was needed. There is a reason they are called stealers. I love Harley's, always have, but I will never buy another new one. I will buy used or buy a Victory.

Old 07-18-2010 | 11:48 PM
GPHDXLC
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by confederate
It's garbage like that that drives customers away to other manufactures, not to mention all the chinese parts on these cycles. About 4 weeks ago, I had a dealer insist that I had to extend my wiring and get new cables to put on some 4 inch risers. I did it myself and no new cables or extended wiring was needed. There is a reason they are called stealers. I love Harley's, always have, but I will never buy another new one. I will buy used or buy a Victory.
Hey, If you get the chance stop by a Polaris Dealer and take a good look at there prices for parts. I have a friend with a Vegas and he took me in to show me. Makes a Harley Dealer look like a discount store. Now on top of that Polaris is building a new parts factory in Mexico. I bet there prices don't go down though. I don't know about the service department on the bikes but I know there Snowmobile service sucks. Ive been there and seen it.

Old 07-19-2010 | 02:47 AM
sniper77
Outstanding HDF Member

I'm still wanting to know how much tread is left on that back tire?

If you don't have a gauge use a penny and stick Honest Abe's head in the tread and take a camera phone pic and post it so we can measure for you.

Quick Reply: Buncha crooks