The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What model do MC Members Ride Most?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 03:38 PM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by CRF
hard question.... different MCs have differnent preferences and it differs depending on what part of the country you are in. West coast HA tend towards dynas and baggers but different clubs ride softails or whatever.......

the softail bashing you hear comes from many people being tired of the RUB invasion. For whatever reason these guys gravitate overwhelmingly to softails; tend to know next to nothing about harleys but spout off about the superiority of their bikes, their chaps, their fingerless gloves etc etc etc..... I dont think most people have anything against softails per se but its the people who ride them that have tainted them.

Plus - what better bike for a poser to ride that a bike that is itself posing as something it isn't (a hardtail)?
perfect response.... Also I think local HOG members and bike nighters will give others chit about the bike they ride over any 1%er I know. Really only a poser with low self esteem issues give someone chit about their choice of Harley....Kinda like a mental midget ford vs chevy debater.... someone too dumb to be able to spell.... like someone that might spell voila....wa-la. Me I like all Harley models, some more than others... and it is true... the posers jump at the most popular bike(softail).... and it is ironic as well that the softail is actually a bike designed to look like it has no rear suspension(hardtail)....thus the bike is actually a poser itself...LOL.... I'm not bashing softails cause I dig a lot of em... Just pointing out the obvious and making a snappy comeback to those that dissed the Dyna earlier....

Old 06-16-2010, 04:04 PM
bjewell
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 348 Likes on 134 Posts

Yeah, When my then old lady worked at the Haight-Ashbury Free Clinic in 1968, Sonny came over on his sportster once to pick up a friend who had gotten hurt. It was all choppers then, peanut tanks the works.

FXRs came around and they were replaced by Electra Glide Standards. Back in the day Baggers were routinely stripped (chopped) to get rid of the excess. Course those were panheads or AMF pans and shovels and 1200cc didn't give you a lot of stonk.

I still have a hard time seeing the Members riding baggers cause of what I saw growing up but I'm 65 and that was a long time ago...

Oh yeah, Softails... Seems you can't give those suckers away in norCal. It's baggers all the way and the Street Glide leads the pack followed by Road Glides and then grandpa's chuckwagon. Dynas lurk in the back by the Sportsters and there is rumored to be a VROD in the basement... -L- Just kidding it's in the Men's Room. But baggers must outsell all Softail models three to one in these parts. For myself I like FXSTs. And I prefer gray motors, putting me in a real minority...

Last edited by bjewell; 06-16-2010 at 04:09 PM.
Old 10-18-2011, 06:27 PM
Dumptruck
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm a patch holder in a none 1% club, I ride a road king. In our chapter mostly baggers and a couple soft-tails and one triumph. I think it has to do with the distance we have to ride to other chapters and the horrible weather we usually have that pushes our members to the baggers. Our urban chapters is a mix of all models including sportsters and even a couple v-rods.
Dumptruck J.F.F.J

Old 10-18-2011, 06:40 PM
XKnight
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Most of the real bikers around here are usually seen on these.

Old 10-18-2011, 07:59 PM
warrconn
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

When I was a kid in Minnesota and other parts of the midwest in the 60s, most clubbers rode stripped FLHs, choppers, hot rod Sporties and a few Brits. In the late 60s into the 70s, choppers ruled, no doubt. When I lived in the Bay Area in the late 80s to 2000, the FXR was king...mostly stock in appearance, but with a serious mill and very cool paint job. Digger style swingarms, too. Choppers were still around but were smaller in numbers and more conservative in execution.

I live in northern MN now, and the HA had their annual run here a couple of years back. I saw a fair amount of FXRs, but mostly stock (looking) baggers. I'm guessing that today's M/Cs are more into covering trouble-free miles than "showin' the citizens some class" on a chopper.

Old 10-18-2011, 08:13 PM
babalu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm going to do cams and go with an S&S carb this winter and if that doesn't give a little snot to this bike it's getting sold. I don't need a rice rocket but this thing is slow as ****, I regret the softail a bit I'll be honest, a bagger will be even slower and I don't need to take a months worth of luggage with me everyday. Hopefully some upgrades to the engine can wake this bike up because I love the bike aside from its dogshit slowness.

Old 10-18-2011, 08:26 PM
sm0kediver
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AThousandHurricanes
Also remember most club members put on TONS of miles. I met a guy the other day with over 50K miles on an 09. it was a bagger! Now 50k in a few months on a dyna? There is probably a special piece of flash for that!
Throwing up my WTF sign here..

1. 09 was two years ago, not a few months

2. I can do 500 mile days on my Dyna, and it's not any kind of feat. It's just a comfortable bike.

Old 10-18-2011, 09:04 PM
Coolbreeze
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Shaved Ice
I have never heard as much Softail bashing by the 'biker' community as on this forum. My exposure to the MC lifestyle is limited by region as well a professional and family requirements. I attend some non-Harley sponsored event several times a year. I am not a big fan of HOG events. Anyway, I thought I would start a thread to ask what types on bikes MCs from around the country prefer. While Dynas are preferred here, it is only by a slight margin. I have never heard any real bashing of any other particular model besides VRODs. Is there any basis to this bashing or have some people been watching too much Sons of Anarchy?
Don't really give two s**ts, I love my Heritage.

Old 10-18-2011, 09:16 PM
ColoHarleyGirl
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

[QUOTE=NSCoyote;6850632]dontcha know "Real hardcore" bikers only ride vespa's LOL

WOW!! I AM a real hardcore biker! Who knew

Old 10-18-2011, 09:24 PM
Druid
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Around my parts, the more outlawish MCs don't seem to care about models, but more about color. If the bike isn't black, I guess they don't think they look bad-*** enough. I've seen a handful of blue bikes, and a red one Once, but as long as it's black and you grow a disgusting looking beard you too can join a Chicago area MC!

Quick Reply: What model do MC Members Ride Most?