The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about tipping...

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 10:00 PM
CheGuevara
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about tipping...

I always tip when I'm at restaurants unless the service is very very bad (then I'll go down to around 10% unless they really do deserve nothing).

When I pick up food to go at restaurants (curb side take away, etc), I normally don't tip unless they run it out to the car, then I'll tip just a little)...

However, if I have to go into the restaurant to get the food to go, I normally don't tip at all...

I was curious if this is considered rude?

For example: sometimes I'll call in mexican food to go and when I go inside to pick it up, I won't leave a tip because there isn't really a service.

what do yall think?

Old 06-06-2010, 10:04 PM
toastman
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

no need to tip for that.

i used to deliver for a pizzeria for some cash and it's amazing how cheap some people are.

the situation you described tho, is fine. just pay, no tip required when you come in to pick up your food.

Old 06-06-2010, 10:08 PM
DinoVelvet
Outstanding HDF Member

my tips are directly related to the quality of the service....not the quality of the food (as that is not the waitress's fault but the cooks)

I start at 10% and the ball is totally in the servers hands as to the tip increasing or decreasing.

Old 06-06-2010, 10:14 PM
CheGuevara
Cruiser

okay cool, I had never questioned myself about it until I ordered some sushi to go at a nice sushi restaurant tonight and the waitress circled that gratuity was not included... so I sorta felt like a douche for not tipping...

Old 06-06-2010, 10:28 PM
IlDuce
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I normally double tax at restaurants... i dont tip for when i go in and pick food up... and i tip the delivery guy a few bucks

Old 06-06-2010, 10:33 PM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I tip 10-15% when I am waited on, but only leave a couple of bucks at a place like a buffet where I get my own food.

While I worked for tips for 4 years while in school, and the OL currently has a job that gets tips, I hate the practice and wish it would go away....Employers should pay employees a fair wage and not expect me to subsidize their paychecks. Yeah, I know the price of the food would have to go up a bit. So what? You are gonna pay anyway.

What I hate even more is a tip jar sitting by the cash register at places like mall snack bars, coffee shops, and so on.

Old 06-06-2010, 10:41 PM
frogg
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Waitress get 15% if excellent service and any flub up I start deducting from that.
Sometimes I have added to the 15%, but not very many.
Delivery Guys gets a couple Bucks.
Pick-up and Fast Food get Nada/Zero/Zilch. (Basically the same)

Old 06-06-2010, 10:54 PM
Jeff W
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I tip when i eat in, but not a fast food place, sorry McD's or Taco Bell just isn't a place to leave tips..

if the service is good from the person who takes care of me i give them a good tip, down from there depending on how well I'm treated..
Sometimes the Employer likes to dip their hands in the tips, so when i tip in a place that i know or think the employer takes a % of the tip, i tip the waitress personally and i make them put it in their pockets right then and i tell them to keep their mouth shut about it...i just don't trust some employers at all.

Old 06-06-2010, 11:09 PM
MATUCHI
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My wife has worked in the restaurant industry her entire adult life and leaves 20% on the entire tab. I read you tip on the cost of food and not the tax, but she tips on the grand total. I quit arguing about it many years ago and just go with the program.

Edit: that is for sit down dinners only.

Old 06-06-2010, 11:23 PM
Wanna Ride
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by frogg
Waitress get 15% if excellent service and any flub up I start deducting from that.
Sometimes I have added to the 15%, but not very many.
Delivery Guys gets a couple Bucks.
Pick-up and Fast Food get Nada/Zero/Zilch. (Basically the same)
Agreed.

Quick Reply: Question about tipping...