The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about tipping...

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 05:36 PM
waterbuffalo750
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CheGuevara
I sorta have a pet peeve with this too. I understand tipping a restaurant waitress 15-20% on waiting my table, but why should I tip a bartender a dollar or two on a 4 dollar drink? that's more of a percentage than tipping a waitress who busts her butt to please me. All the bartender has to do is open the bottle and give it to me...

I definitely tip if the bar is full (Don't want them not to serve me again because I didn't tip)
for a bottle of beer, I can see that. If it is pitcher of beer, that takes a while to fill while I have other customers I could be helping. Or what if your lady(or you, I don't judge) is drinking mixed drinks all night, like sex on the beach or something that takes a while to make. Or you're doing shots like water moccasins or something.

Either way, my point was: why is a particular service worth a tip one place, but worth little or no tip somewhere else, for the same service?

Old 06-07-2010, 05:38 PM
waterbuffalo750
Intermediate

Originally Posted by waterbuffalo750
Either way, my point was: why is a particular service worth a tip one place, but worth little or no tip somewhere else, for the same service?
We also do childrens birthday parties. They will have a hundred bucks in pizza and soda. If you have a kids birthday party at a pizza place, of course you would tip for that. But not at a bowling alley?? Some do, but they are the vast minority.

Old 06-07-2010, 07:00 PM
CheGuevara
Cruiser

I also don't like getting hit up for tips on scuba boats or tours... I don't mind giving them a tip if I feel they explained something very well, but I hate how they give a 10 minute speech about tipping and then go one by one down the boat putting you on the spot and making you feel really guilty if you don't tip. I was recently in Thailand and the boat operator was very very very very annoying and nosey and I feel he didn't do a good job, but alas! at the end of the trip he went one by one as we got off the boat we were forced to walk past him and tip... Grrrrrr
other than that I really don't mind tipping for a good service on boats/tours, I just hate when they shove it down my throat...

Last edited by CheGuevara; 06-07-2010 at 07:02 PM.
Old 06-07-2010, 07:27 PM
capitalist_slave
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by toastman
no need to tip for that.

i used to deliver for a pizzeria for some cash and it's amazing how cheap some people are.

the situation you described tho, is fine. just pay, no tip required when you come in to pick up your food.

Old 06-07-2010, 07:33 PM
AshMac
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think working at a restaurant is difficult sometimes especially when it is busy. As a server you can often times find yourself overwhelmed with several tables who all need the same amount of attention but often find themselves waiting for that refill drink for an extra couple minutes. Some people bust their butts because they only make $3.25 an hour and the tips make up the majority of their wages. Having worked in a restaurant I usually tip 15% regardless of the service and if it's just absolutely horrible I leave at least a dollar out of pity. Bartenders though I usually tip a dollar a drink providing they give me 1 or 2 for free while i'm there.

Old 06-07-2010, 07:33 PM
dope_man_21
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by NSCoyote
i start at the total of the taxes *13%, and it goes up or down from there. if she is really hot and really good i leave a good tip usualy around 30% and a note with my number saying call me sometime for dinner and a movie
+1 you would not believe how many times this trick worked when I was a single man.
Now I start at 20% and the tip can and will go up or down depending on the service, attitude, looks, how much cleavage, and how busy the place is.

BTW, everyone knows you don't tip at fast food places!!!

Old 06-07-2010, 07:38 PM
Panasoffkee
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Double the tax unless she is hot and flirty then I'll give her my car !

Old 06-07-2010, 08:35 PM
Wanna Ride
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Thundermug
2 times in my life I have had waiters walk up and say "Hello ladies"...They didn't get a penny from me.
One of those places, the waiter recognized me a week later and told his friends I didn't tip. Funny thing is, my wife and I were going there every Sunday after church. After the 3rd week of lousy service, My wife and I had some girl who gave great service...I left her a 50% tip and I hung around...She went straight to those guys and rubbed it in their noses! Then I went to them and explained why they didn't get crap. Then I went to the manager. The following week it was YESSIR....I didn't go there anymore because we started going elsewhere. In less than a year that place was closed.

When I eat out and my glass is empty, I place it on the edge of the table...I expect it to be refilled within a couple of minutes. If I finish my meal and it is still empty I ask for the manager and complain...That is very UNsatsfactory service. They get No tip, and I tell the manager I will NOT be back.
If I have average service I give 15, If I get great service they get 20. If it sucks...they get nuthin from me.
I see you're from Jacksonville Beach. What's the name of that Mexican joint next to the concert place, on the corner(down at the beach)? I went in their for dinner about a month ago when I was in Jax on business. Worst service I've had in months. The next night, I ate at the bar in Sticky Fingers. The guy who was tending bar was the best waiter I've ever had, awesome service.

Old 06-07-2010, 08:59 PM
chromedome09
Road Master

no not on carry out . 15 to 20 % of food bill (before tax) easy to figure to since my phone has a tip calculator in it... all the cool stuff we have now days in our phones.

I also tip deliver people (not just food delivery, but fed ex ( if they are working hard on the delivery), the postman every once in while ( mostly around Christmas , ,oh crap I typed Christmas... I should have typed holidays)... and if I had a barber I'd tip him too, but I now shave my head so I don't.

Not only should you not tip at fast food ... they should give you a tip for eating that crap.

Old 06-07-2010, 09:07 PM
toastman
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Thundermug
2 times in my life I have had waiters walk up and say "Hello ladies"...They didn't get a penny from me.
One of those places, the waiter recognized me a week later and told his friends I didn't tip. Funny thing is, my wife and I were going there every Sunday after church. After the 3rd week of lousy service, My wife and I had some girl who gave great service...I left her a 50% tip and I hung around...She went straight to those guys and rubbed it in their noses! Then I went to them and explained why they didn't get crap. Then I went to the manager. The following week it was YESSIR....I didn't go there anymore because we started going elsewhere. In less than a year that place was closed.

When I eat out and my glass is empty, I place it on the edge of the table...I expect it to be refilled within a couple of minutes. If I finish my meal and it is still empty I ask for the manager and complain...That is very UNsatsfactory service. They get No tip, and I tell the manager I will NOT be back.
If I have average service I give 15, If I get great service they get 20. If it sucks...they get nuthin from me.
hey, hitler, when are you taking me out to dinner?

Quick Reply: Question about tipping...