The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about tipping...

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 11:34 PM
CheGuevara
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by xxxflhrci
I tip 10-15% when I am waited on, but only leave a couple of bucks at a place like a buffet where I get my own food.

While I worked for tips for 4 years while in school, and the OL currently has a job that gets tips, I hate the practice and wish it would go away....Employers should pay employees a fair wage and not expect me to subsidize their paychecks. Yeah, I know the price of the food would have to go up a bit. So what? You are gonna pay anyway.

What I hate even more is a tip jar sitting by the cash register at places like mall snack bars, coffee shops, and so on.
I love the practice of tipping. Have you ever been to Europe? I used to live in a few different countries in Europe and I travel there frequently. I can't tell you how bad the service SUCKS and they don't give a flying crap about it either... They can treat you like crap too, because they know they are gonna get paid if they treat you like crap, if they suck in general, or whatever. My fiance is from Spain and she LOVES being waited on at restaurants here. She says they treat you like royalty here in USA compared to Europe. GRRRR it makes me so mad how they treat the clients there... Customer truly is king here... I really think quality of service would slip badly if tipping was already included...

Old 06-06-2010, 11:54 PM
Foodog
Elite HDF Member
Received 63 Likes on 37 Posts

I thought 20% was the current tipping amount if service was good.

Old 06-07-2010, 03:41 AM
trmac
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 75 Likes on 74 Posts

That's one of the good things about Japan - NO tipping and they bend over backwards to give great service. Regular service here beats the hell out of any I've ever seen in the States.

Old 06-07-2010, 07:35 AM
Tony P
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 350 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by CheGuevara
I love the practice of tipping. Have you ever been to Europe? I used to live in a few different countries in Europe and I travel there frequently. I can't tell you how bad the service SUCKS and they don't give a flying crap about it either... They can treat you like crap too, because they know they are gonna get paid if they treat you like crap, if they suck in general, or whatever. My fiance is from Spain and she LOVES being waited on at restaurants here. She says they treat you like royalty here in USA compared to Europe. GRRRR it makes me so mad how they treat the clients there... Customer truly is king here... I really think quality of service would slip badly if tipping was already included...
I was in Paris for a week and noticed the tip was included on the bill. So, I guess there's no incentive for them to offer better service. Fortunately, I didn't have a bad experience.

Old 06-07-2010, 08:08 AM
CheGuevara
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Tony P
I was in Paris for a week and noticed the tip was included on the bill. So, I guess there's no incentive for them to offer better service. Fortunately, I didn't have a bad experience.
you are honestly lucky!

I see you have rush 2.0" slip ons... Mine come today!!

Old 06-07-2010, 08:37 AM
Krazy8s
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 108 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by CheGuevara
Thats cause all waiting staff are on wages anyway, they don't rely on tips to eek out a living. Here in switzerland the service varys from generally quite good to utter rubbish at times, that said generally Tips arent expected anyway, so its no big if you don't tip.

My experience in other european countries has been varied, but safe to say that in the states service is usually better simply because the tips make a big difference to the take home of the service staff.

Old 06-07-2010, 08:53 AM
RumRunner
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I generally leave 20% at sit down places. I will tip at fast lane pickup a couple of bucks, more if they had to bring it out in the rain or snow. I also make sure I tip on what the cost of the food was, regardless of whether a gift certificate was used, or if there was any type of problem and the server took anything off the bill.

Old 06-07-2010, 09:05 AM
dFREDb
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Having been on both sides of this equation, I usually tip 20% on entire bill if the server has made a genuine effort. You have to really suck to get a bad tip from me, and if you do, it will be 25 cents. I even stack my plates and wipe the table down to help them out. Can't help it, it's a habit. I also hate tip jars, as this is an "in your face" way of making you feel bad if you don't drop something in. I don't play this game.

Old 06-07-2010, 09:25 AM
nilro
Road Captain

not sure if this video will embed correctly or not:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Z-qV9wVGb38&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Z-qV9wVGb38&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Old 06-07-2010, 09:26 AM
nilro
Road Captain

nope, it didn't. So, go to youtube and enter: "Reservoir Dogs Tipping Scene" That sums up my take on tipping.

Quick Reply: Question about tipping...