The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My first motorcycle R.I.P.

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 07:15 AM
2DEUCE2
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My first motorcycle R.I.P.

Well, I got a call from a buddy of mine yesterday letting me know that my old '78 Honda CB550K is now a pile of scrap metal. It was my first motorcyle ever and I sold it to my old bosses son who then sold it to his brother. A car cut in front of him in an intersection the other day and now he has a crushed leg and a broken arm, he is in a wheelchair for a while and it will be a long time before he walks normally again. He has always been a funny guy and he tells the story in a comical way which surprised the hell out of me, but hey, I'm just glad he's alive and in good spirits.

Anyways, I had been thinking of buying that bike back from him because it was my first bike and he was talking of upgrading. I was thinking it would be cool to hold on to it. Oh well, I will just have to let it live on through stories. Anyone here keep their first bike just cause?

Old 06-02-2010, 08:10 AM
carlgrover
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,266 Likes on 1,310 Posts

I kept my first street bike but sold all the dirt bikes I had previously. I've heard all my life, "boy I wish I would have kept that car/bike/truck", so I decided I wouldn't ever sell mine. It's still as fun to ride now as it ever was.

I wonder what kind of luck you would have trying to piece together a 78 Honda. Might be hard to find parts. I'm lucky I can get parts for my bike without any problem.

Old 06-02-2010, 08:31 AM
Coolbreeze
Road Master

A few years ago I was restoring those old bikes to pull together the finances to get my Harley. At first it seemed impossible to find the parts for them, but after a while you just know where to go to find them. Old (in the run for many years, not just a few) bike shops, salvage yards, craigslist, and even Ebay. I have to admit, it was very fun putting those things back in working order. The best one I did was a 1973 Kawasaki Z-1 900, man that thing was crazy! I bought it for $100 on craigslist, put about $500 more in it, and sold it 6 months later for $2,500. There are a few salvage places around here if you would like for me to inquire about parts. Come to think of it, this one shop run by a guy named Joe Taylor that used to race Ducati's back in the day had a CB 550 sitting in his storage barn. I can check if you like, or just give you his number. He has been retired for several years, but still tinkers. Hes also an ill tempered old codger, but hes cool once you get to know him.

Old 06-02-2010, 09:22 AM
2DEUCE2
Road Master

Originally Posted by Coolbreeze
A few years ago I was restoring those old bikes to pull together the finances to get my Harley. At first it seemed impossible to find the parts for them, but after a while you just know where to go to find them. Old (in the run for many years, not just a few) bike shops, salvage yards, craigslist, and even Ebay. I have to admit, it was very fun putting those things back in working order. The best one I did was a 1973 Kawasaki Z-1 900, man that thing was crazy! I bought it for $100 on craigslist, put about $500 more in it, and sold it 6 months later for $2,500. There are a few salvage places around here if you would like for me to inquire about parts. Come to think of it, this one shop run by a guy named Joe Taylor that used to race Ducati's back in the day had a CB 550 sitting in his storage barn. I can check if you like, or just give you his number. He has been retired for several years, but still tinkers. Hes also an ill tempered old codger, but hes cool once you get to know him.
Thanks, I appreciate the offer. I don't know if I would buy an old 550 and ship it across the states, but he might be a good resource for parts. I have found a bunch of 550's back here in my neck of the woods and have thought of getting another before as a rebuild project. I guess I was holding out hoping to get my old one back. I will probably end up with another one someday, they are a great bike and look real sweet done up like a cafe racer, but I only have a one car garage and I would have to pick one to get rid of to get another. I'll probably say goodbye to the '71 Kawasaki H1 Triple. Saying that it is a blast to ride is an understatement, but the two stroke engine lacks the get up and go torque that I love. Man, just talking about it is really making me want to put some wheels on this idea and go for it.

Old 06-02-2010, 10:37 AM
Coolbreeze
Road Master

Gotta love those old smokers! Lol!

Old 06-02-2010, 08:02 PM
chromedome09
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

couldn't keep mine (first street bike that is ).. I totaled it out in my first high speed,.. on pavement,... crash..back in 1976 on a Honda 450 .

Old 06-02-2010, 08:11 PM
JayStronghawk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 280 Likes on 215 Posts

All I have left on my first true purchased bike .. Loved that Sporty, Pic was taken in 1970 shortly after it was purchased ...

Old 06-02-2010, 11:08 PM
tjvrodrick
Club Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I gave mine tio my son and he still has it

Old 06-04-2010, 10:40 PM
IlDuce
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

i have my dads first harley. which is my first bike... does that count?

Old 06-06-2010, 01:26 PM
Steve Zodiac
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My first bike, a Triumph Tiger Cub, was stolen in 1974 about 3 months after I bought it for £5.