The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

if It says DOT you look absurd!

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 05:27 PM
babalu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default if It says DOT you look absurd!

been looking for a decent DOT helmet that doesn't look ridiculous. so far zero luck.

half helmet DOT i look like this guy:

3/4 and i look this guy:

full face and i look like this guy:

seriously what the hell, we can put a man on the man on the moon and harness the power of the atom but we can't make a protective helmet that isn't triple the size of your head?

i've had the ACC helmet, complete penishead/king of the mushrooms syndrome don't believe the hype (recalled and sent back anyway). got a fulmer v2 and i look like the great gazoo, FF scorpion and i'm buzz aldrin riding a s****y old evo sporty around.

i give up on looking cool and resign myself to the fact that if it says DOT you are going to look like an a$$ riding around.

Last edited by babalu; 04-27-2010 at 05:30 PM.
Old 04-27-2010, 05:35 PM
tlb
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I like this one:

Old 04-27-2010, 05:40 PM
Jeff W
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I hardly think that we will ever be able to build a helmet with enough padding to protect a head and look cool...personally cool dont mean squat if your dead or a bed ridden vegi for 40 yrs. personally i prefer not looking cool and having at least a slim chance to not end up that way.

Old 04-27-2010, 05:44 PM
Jeff W
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Oh yeah, did i mention im still alive because of a helmet..FACT, if i had not had a good DOT helmet in my early days i would have died years ago, as it was i came out with a few broken bones, and one fist size rock imbedded in the very top of my helmet.
My daughter and 3 grandkids would not exist, my parents would have had to bury me rather than the other way around as its meant to be, i would have missed a lot of things...and i was headed down the road without a helmet to begin with that day,but i got back off the running bike, went and got it, put it on and lived more than another 10 minutes (why i felt i needed it that day i have noo clue), but i had a head on collision with another bike when the guy rounded a sharp corner on my side of the road and no place to go and no time to react.

Last edited by Jeff W; 04-27-2010 at 05:49 PM.
Old 04-27-2010, 05:50 PM
eisterd
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ssshhhh!! I told my wife hers looked good on her!

Old 04-27-2010, 05:54 PM
dennyo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,059 Likes on 633 Posts

Good Luck

Old 04-27-2010, 05:55 PM
JustDave71
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ACC got recalled? Wow...just read about it. crazy.

Last edited by JustDave71; 04-27-2010 at 05:58 PM.
Old 04-27-2010, 06:04 PM
tlb
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

What brand of helmet was it? I need to know who to blame for your posts. Just kidding, but there is nothing wrong with finding a helmet you like the look of and is functional.
Originally Posted by Jeff W
Oh yeah, did i mention im still alive because of a helmet..FACT, if i had not had a good DOT helmet in my early days i would have died years ago, as it was i came out with a few broken bones, and one fist size rock imbedded in the very top of my helmet.
My daughter and 3 grandkids would not exist, my parents would have had to bury me rather than the other way around as its meant to be, i would have missed a lot of things...and i was headed down the road without a helmet to begin with that day,but i got back off the running bike, went and got it, put it on and lived more than another 10 minutes (why i felt i needed it that day i have noo clue), but i had a head on collision with another bike when the guy rounded a sharp corner on my side of the road and no place to go and no time to react.

Old 04-27-2010, 06:13 PM
Whiskers
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 46 Posts

When its really your time to check out, it just doesn't matter how cool you looked a split second before it happened. I still wear one just in case....

Old 04-27-2010, 06:18 PM
LA VIC
Road Master
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

If you look like the little green man in a half helmet have you considered a full face or modular? There's a lot of slick looking gear on the market. I quit wearing half helmets years ago. Not because of the looks, but as I started riding farther and in more varied weather conditions It's not the best choice IMHO. Not to mention all crap that used to bounce off my face wearing the half helmet. If you do look at full face helmets the shield detent system is important. You'll want to be able to adjust the shield to get air circulation when it's hot outside.

Quick Reply: if It says DOT you look absurd!