The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

if It says DOT you look absurd!

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 01:16 AM
Mr Haus
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't give a chit what anyone says....

If I could find this helmet I would wear it!!!

Old 04-28-2010, 01:22 AM
Desertram800
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've only been riding for a little bit now, but I already own three helmets. Well, 3 DOT helmets, and one novelty polo, but I've never worn it actually riding. I just can't bring myself to. I got a free DOT 1/2 with the bike, and it makes me look like I'm trying to squeeze 10lbs of s*&t into a 5lb sack. The other two are alright, but my Zox is way too long and makes me look like an olympic downhill speed skier! My other DOT 1/2 looks decent, but it doesn't quite bring out the sexy in me! Ha! I do like the look of the novelty helmets better, but I'll stick with the DOT helmets, as not only are they required by law, but being in the military, I have to have a DOT helmet to ride on base, and if I get into an accident without one, they won't cover medical. sigh.... I've been looking hard into carbon fiber polo helmets, but I can't bring myself to spend that much money not knowing if it'll make me look like a clown...

Old 04-28-2010, 01:55 AM
dogtownmax
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by babalu
been looking for a decent DOT helmet that doesn't look ridiculous. so far zero luck.

half helmet DOT i look like this guy:
3/4 and i look this guy:
full face and i look like this guy:
seriously what the hell, we can put a man on the man on the moon and harness the power of the atom but we can't make a protective helmet that isn't triple the size of your head?

i've had the ACC helmet, complete penishead/king of the mushrooms syndrome don't believe the hype (recalled and sent back anyway). got a fulmer v2 and i look like the great gazoo, FF scorpion and i'm buzz aldrin riding a s****y old evo sporty around.

i give up on looking cool and resign myself to the fact that if it says DOT you are going to look like an a$$ riding around.

yeah, because fashion is important... ya gotta "look the part"...

Old 04-28-2010, 04:03 AM
gus4440
Road Captain
Received 63 Likes on 25 Posts

Can anything look more ridiculas than wearing a half helmet and one of those "Trick or Treat" mask?

Old 04-28-2010, 04:16 AM
oldncrzy
Road Master

does this helmet make me look fat?

Old 04-28-2010, 04:27 AM
mtairy biker
Road Warrior

I don't get "How I look" last I checked I can't see my self rideing and I really don't give a f@ck how I look to others.

Old 04-28-2010, 04:36 AM
dc1450
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I wonder how I'd look in a wheel chair with a dribble cup?

Helmet laws and government intrusion suck but brain injuries suck more, use common sense.

Old 04-28-2010, 04:37 AM
DMas
Road Master

i believe people are being disingenuous here. you don't care at all about looks and believe that's superficial yet you ride a 20 K bike, chromed out, with 5 K in worthless mods which do nothing but change the look of your bike???

if you only cared about function you would all be wearing metric CE armored jackets and full face helmets. so let's stop pretending no one cares about looks. we would all wear sweatpants and sweatshirts all day long if people honestly didn't care about their appearance.
Speaking only for myself - I never wear sweats EVER! Seriously though, I don't wear a full face or 3/4 because I don't like the restricted field of vision and losing the ability to hear clearly. I wear a plain black half DOT so and because I live in a helmet law state I have to wear it so I wear it solely for function. The rest I wear for comfort and protection- I choose leather- is it perfect? No, but I like it and feels comfortable for me.

Yeah we all care about looks to varied degrees. While I don't care how my helmet looks I DO care about the look of my bike so you're right there. But I think there is a difference between one's personal appearance and making a bike your own style. In other words, I put chrome or cosmetic parts on to make the bike look good to me. I recently bought derby & inspection covers and could have bought plain chromed parts but bought covers with skulls cuz I liked the look. And after reading your original skid lid post, I totally misread it - I know what a skid lid is, just didn't read carefully.
And I have to say well thought out post. We may disagree but well put!

Old 04-28-2010, 05:10 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff W
I hardly think that we will ever be able to build a helmet with enough padding to protect a head and look cool...personally cool dont mean squat if your dead or a bed ridden vegi for 40 yrs. personally i prefer not looking cool and having at least a slim chance to not end up that way.
Been in the saddle over 48 yrs riding the way I have always enjoyed,on the edge,never with a helmet.My slim chance has always been the way I look at the road and the people out on it.Called defensive driving, and also important is knowing the machine I ride.A helmet from my point of view takes away all the enjoyment of riding a motorcycle.Not that there is anything wrong with those that choose to wear one.It has always amazed me why those that do choose to wear a helmet are so adament that those of us that don't should.

Old 04-28-2010, 05:11 AM
PPBART
Elite HDF Member
Received 144 Likes on 102 Posts

yeah i wear DOT helmets... as a young guy with young kids i can't just turn a blind eye to the fact that a DOT helmet greatly increases my chances of surviving an accident over a skid lid.
And as a not-so-young-guy, I have grandkids I hope to see grow up(!)

For me, protection and comfort are more important than the "cool" factor.

Quick Reply: if It says DOT you look absurd!