The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

if It says DOT you look absurd!

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 06:18 PM
exemexer
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The ONLY reason I wear one is for protection - even if I'm not 100% happy with the way it looks. I've seen plenty I like better than mine but they don't provide enough protection. Just gotta select the least offensive one out of the DOT bunch.

Old 04-27-2010, 06:36 PM
babalu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

yeah i wear DOT helmets now, i don't need to run into a P.I.T.A. leo who impounds my bike or something for wearing a skid lid. not to mention although i don't agree with the nanny govn't forcing us to wear them, that doesn't negate the legitimate testing that goes into certifying these helmets DOT and SNELL approved. as a young guy with young kids i can't just turn a blind eye to the fact that a DOT helmet greatly increases my chances of surviving an accident over a skid lid.

BUT... that doesn't change the fact that every single DOT helmet on the market today makes you look like a jackass.

Old 04-27-2010, 06:38 PM
Trailfndr
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Well...I suppose I'll look like an ***, cause I will wear a DOT helmet. Its my head, and I need to keep it intact to take care of my wife and kids.

Old 04-27-2010, 06:41 PM
mtinner
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sometime it depends on how much you look like a jackass before you put on the helmet.

Old 04-27-2010, 06:43 PM
FlamedFXR
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,689 Likes on 705 Posts

If im not mistaken. DOT requires 1 inch of styrofoam. No way to hide that. I dont see that changing anytime soon.

Old 04-27-2010, 06:46 PM
DMas
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by babalu
yeah i wear DOT helmets now, i don't need to run into a P.I.T.A. leo who impounds my bike or something for wearing a skid lid. not to mention although i don't agree with the nanny govn't forcing us to wear them, that doesn't negate the legitimate testing that goes into certifying these helmets DOT and SNELL approved. as a young guy with young kids i can't just turn a blind eye to the fact that a DOT helmet greatly increases my chances of surviving an accident over a skid lid.

BUT... that doesn't change the fact that every single DOT helmet on the market today makes you look like a jackass.
Dunno I have a DOT Skid Lid... don't give a crap about it looks like, though.

Old 04-27-2010, 06:46 PM
KnightWRX
Road Captain

I always thought full faces are the most cool looking helmets out there. I wear a half because I enjoy feeling the breeze on my face for now. Maybe someday I'll get a FF for that cool look instead, but I'm not that superficial yet.

Old 04-27-2010, 06:51 PM
babalu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DMas
Dunno I have a DOT Skid Lid... don't give a crap about it looks like, though.
you have a DOT half helmet not a skid lid. skid lid is terminology used to describe non-dot half helmet beanies that offer no protection. if you happened to skid on the ground it would save you from getting your skin taken off but little else (hence the name 'skid lid).

Old 04-27-2010, 06:53 PM
DMas
Road Master

you have a DOT half helmet not a skid lid. skid lid is terminology used to describe non-dot half helmet beanies that offer no protection. if you happened to skid on the ground it would save you from getting your skin taken off but little else (hence the name 'skid lid).
sorry, thought you meant the brand.

Old 04-27-2010, 06:55 PM
golfblues
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,540 Likes on 932 Posts

Sorry
http://www.jafrum.com/Shop-By-Brand/...s/SkidLidBlack

Quick Reply: if It says DOT you look absurd!