The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why the hate for riding clubs?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2010, 07:19 PM
lizdc
Elite HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by SauerKraut
Yeah I think we are on the same page. I'm not trying to be cool. I just want yo meet more people who like bikes.
You know lots of rides are organized on BON. And it is without joining anything. People just go. If you just want to meet people to ride with it migt be a place to start.

But be forewarned. I think I remember you mentioning being married. Make sure you make that clear. Lots of girls who don't ride but are single passengers looking for a new guy with an empty backseat. As long as you are clear you are not looking for that you should be fine. BON is like 50% facebook 50% match.com But there is a ton of rides, events, and bar nights in most areas people organize on BON.

Old 04-24-2010, 07:42 PM
SauerKraut
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll check it out. And don't worry when the wife's not with me I leave the solo saddle on. Never wanted to give anyone the wrong idea. What exactly does BON mean or stand for?

Old 04-25-2010, 06:08 AM
skootchnc
Grand HDF Member

Received 501 Likes on 259 Posts

BON= Bikerornot.com

HD sold over 200,000 bikes in 2009... odds are they had 300,000 opinions about rides, and clubs.
Don't worry about what other's think... look around, ask questions, if you can... participate in a few events before joining. See whether you want to be a member or not.

Another source could be "meetup.com" they often have groups that ride.... or at least they have groups that TALK about riding. Similar to BON.... they'll have riders, and folks just looking to climb on the back of ANY bike......

Some groups have participation clauses, some don't. Personally..... I never understood the folks that join a group, and never get off their duff, and actually participate. but then again.... it takes all kinds.

Old 04-25-2010, 06:24 AM
jaqmes
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

for me, I like to ride solo and enjoy the peeps I meet . met a lot of riding buddies that way.

Old 04-25-2010, 06:24 AM
masterblaster
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 258 Likes on 100 Posts

Liz you need to pay a visit to the Fla Crew, you will fit right in hehe.

I think it all revolves around rules, think a lot of us are former military, although we enjoyed our time there and realize rules are necessary sometimes, it builds an instinct against rules and being restricted or told what to do in any way. I hate standing lines also.

Then there are some of us who work in large corporations that are very much like the military and ride to clear away the pent up angst of dealing with the corporate world BS.

Then there is the rest of us who just dont like rules and never have, its just constricting, stifling, and overwhelmingly suffocating.

I happen to fall into all the above categories, I say fk em all and fk the world, just ride, leave me alone and get out of my way.

No Rules Just ride

Old 04-25-2010, 06:26 AM
JayStronghawk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 280 Likes on 215 Posts

I enjoy Group Rides as long as they ride safe .. but like the FL Crew Motto .. " No Rules Just Ride "

Old 04-25-2010, 06:29 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Ironhand
Why even worry what others think...ride the way you want to
Same here! Join a club decide for yourself.

Old 04-25-2010, 06:31 AM
Thundermug
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Why do you need to ride WITH someone? You're in SC, right? and married? Let the OL know you are going to the mountains during a weekend, withOUT her, and just ride....Enjoy yourself....Enjoy the twisties....Group riding in the mountains CAN be fun, BUT....all you end up doing is the slowest persons speed, AND holding up traffic.
I don't have anything against group rides, and have done them, but the group I ride with is for the most part and excellent group of riders. Sometimes they are too slow for me.

At least once per week I go on a 4-5 hour ride, just for the fun of it. I do some of it on the flattop (interstate) some on state highway and some on country roads. I get atleast 200 miles during that ride. By myself.

One of the things I do is put the earbuds in and turn on my MP3 player.
Music will definately help the scenery go by faster. You listen to it in the car, why not on the bike?

There is a difference between buying a bike because you like to ride, and buying a bike because you want to meet people.

Old 04-25-2010, 12:34 PM
scoteh
Club Member
Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

I like to go where I want and when I want. Group riding just isn't my style. Obviously, lots of people really like it, since I see so many groups on the big roads. But, I rarely see any groups on the little back roads that I like to get "lost" on.

Old 04-25-2010, 12:41 PM
The Guardian
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why join a group? Just get out to bike nights or something and find people to ride with. I met the people I ride with at the local v-twin shop and now we do bike nights and all.

Quick Reply: Why the hate for riding clubs?