The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just Wondering

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2010 | 08:11 AM
SUNNYSIDE
|
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just Wondering

I was wondering if anyone has noticed the same thing. Job loss in the U.S. due to the economy is staggering, and yet it seems that a lot of folks are hesitant to talk about it openly and honestly as though admitting they have fallen victim to these hard times might be viewed as failure on their part (which it is not.) I'm happy for anyone that has managed (so far) to escape harm from the current conditions in the job market. I understand that pride is a factor and no one likes to admit they are struggling financially, but hey, it is what it is. For my own curiosity I'd like to pose a question to the folks on here that are still working for a living.

Have you lost your job?

Were you able to find another one to replace it before it hurt you or your family?

Have you had to sell some of your cherished possessions?

If your Harley is financed, have you worried about losing it because you may not be able to make your payments?

Are you worried or scared that you might lose your current job due to layoff or the business you work for or own might go under?

I'm in these shoes myself. I'm just a working class hero.

It seems that the Harley crowd these days is overpopulated with R.U.B.s or Poseurs or week-end bar hoppers or whatever you want to call them. Harleys were once viewed as "Outlaw" motorcycles and weren't ridden by "clean cuts." I never thought I'd see the day when Harleys became Yuppie status symbols ridden by 3 piece suits hoping to impress chicks with their newly acquired "Bad Boy" image. Just saying. I have ridden 2 wheels all my life, but these days in "Harley World" I feel like a stranger in a strange land. Anyone else? I'm sorry, but when one of these dorks pulls up beside me at a light and flashes me a toothy grin decked out in his Harley Boutique attire I want to puke.

But Hey.....That's just my opinion. Yours too?

Old 04-14-2010 | 08:23 AM
beerguz
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ya I sorta get what your saying. I commute with my bike, and see all sort's out there. I don,t really feel the need to wave at every other harley out there, or hang with every other rider. I like just riding with eyes forward.

Old 04-14-2010 | 08:31 AM
mcrider1
Road Warrior
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

I didn't know you were supposed to be a poor low life to own a Harley? I always hear people on here say that guys only ride metrics because they can't afford a HD. Does that make all HD riders elitist? I thought HD was about "freedom"? I guess rich guys shouldn't be allowed to have that "freedom".
And, I think a rich guy can impress chicks as well or better with his wallet than his bike?

Old 04-14-2010 | 08:33 AM
Glyder
Road Captain

With he amount of new bike posts you see here every week it would make you think moneys growin on trees and everybodys buying Limiteds.

Old 04-14-2010 | 08:33 AM
jimmie d wad
Tourer

got laid off june 18 last year.did a part time bike mechanic gig.just enough so i could still collect my full unemployment.even working part time i never got to ride. which sucked.week after sturgis i got a job offer in oil seed crushing.$3 an hour less and it really doesnt pay the bills.but im working dys and get to see my family.the wife also works at the same place.when i got laid off she went back part time to a bar she used to manage.shes had to pick up more hours.but all our bills are still getting paid.

Old 04-14-2010 | 08:40 AM
RHPAW
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 15,219 Likes on 6,733 Posts

I know what you mean.......but you should see the smokin' deal I got on a genuine Willie G ski mask.

That stupid clerk at the liquor store will never recognize me now.

Last edited by RHPAW; 04-14-2010 at 08:44 AM.
Old 04-14-2010 | 08:42 AM
Nikon D700
Cruiser

Originally Posted by SUNNYSIDE
I was wondering if anyone has noticed the same thing. Job loss in the U.S. due to the economy is staggering, and yet it seems that a lot of folks are hesitant to talk about it openly and honestly as though admitting they have fallen victim to these hard times might be viewed as failure on their part (which it is not.) I'm happy for anyone that has managed (so far) to escape harm from the current conditions in the job market. I understand that pride is a factor and no one likes to admit they are struggling financially, but hey, it is what it is. For my own curiosity I'd like to pose a question to the folks on here that are still working for a living.

Have you lost your job?

Were you able to find another one to replace it before it hurt you or your family?

Have you had to sell some of your cherished possessions?

If your Harley is financed, have you worried about losing it because you may not be able to make your payments?

Are you worried or scared that you might lose your current job due to layoff or the business you work for or own might go under?

I'm in these shoes myself. I'm just a working class hero.

It seems that the Harley crowd these days is overpopulated with R.U.B.s or Poseurs or week-end bar hoppers or whatever you want to call them. Harleys were once viewed as "Outlaw" motorcycles and weren't ridden by "clean cuts." I never thought I'd see the day when Harleys became Yuppie status symbols ridden by 3 piece suits hoping to impress chicks with their newly acquired "Bad Boy" image. Just saying. I have ridden 2 wheels all my life, but these days in "Harley World" I feel like a stranger in a strange land. Anyone else? I'm sorry, but when one of these dorks pulls up beside me at a light and flashes me a toothy grin decked out in his Harley Boutique attire I want to puke.

Hey you were doing fine until you started bashing everyone riding a Harley that isn't the mirror image of you. Depending on what jacket I am wearing that day, I might make you want to puke. I have both a Harley jacket that is the FXRG brand for when it is cold out and then I have my favorite jacket which gets a lot more wear and shows it, for when it might only get cool out. I don't wear the HD jeans, boots or whatever else they sell but my chaps are HD. Now I bought the HD chaps because they looked to be a better quality than the others that I looked at, not because they were HD. As far as the "Bad boy" image....well I guess that is a state of mind for whoever it concerns. I'm no "bad boy" but, I don't wear a three piece suit either.....how is it that you can tell the difference when your riding down the road?

You asked if others opinions were the same as yours, well I guess mine isn't. I just glad that I can ride and think that most others are happy about the same thing. I certainly have a lot more to worry about than what others are wearing or if they are trying to impress some chick.

Old 04-14-2010 | 09:03 AM
Fuzzman
Road Captain

I wear a HD jacket when I ride, and boots. Got the best deal on them, sorry if I make you wanna puke. I didn't know that I'm supposed to buy the scoot and thats it. I didn't get the memo that said after the bike, anything else I buy that has HD on it is a sin! I work in the food industry, I drive a forklift around and throw bags all day long. I don't make enough to pay the bills, so my wife works also. Loved HD since I was a little kid, and finally can afford one. And I G**DA** well deserve one! Ya mcrider1 I thought it was about freedom and the ride too.

Old 04-14-2010 | 09:05 AM
DMas
Road Master

Originally Posted by SUNNYSIDE
Just saying. I have ridden 2 wheels all my life, but these days in "Harley World" I feel like a stranger in a strange land. Anyone else? I'm sorry, but when one of these dorks pulls up beside me at a light and flashes me a toothy grin decked out in his Harley Boutique attire I want to puke.

It IS a lot different. I rode back in the late 70's/early 80's and used to hang with a biker crowd. Got away from riding for a long time and when I came back to it, I hardly recognized the 'Harley World' I had known. I was in an HD dealer on Saturday to get a part and my son & I were the only ones not wearing any HD gear. Don't really give a crap what anybody does, but it sure is differn't than it used to be.

Old 04-14-2010 | 09:15 AM
Blargh
Road Captain

everything is different than it used to be

Quick Reply: Just Wondering