The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just Wondering

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2010 | 11:33 AM
Dixie Dreg
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by KBFXDLI
My opinion is that I started out of high school learning a trade...then put myself through college at night over a period of 7 years which qualified me for a white collar job...10 years later I opened my own company and now enjoy the fruits of my labor. This last year has been very difficult financially and I am not embarrassed to say so. I am also not going to apologize to the likes of you for being successful....so if you don't like the idea that Harley Davidson will sell me a motorcycle...tough **** bro.
+1, if it is all about freedom then why not embrace it with an open mind. It is a small-minded person that does the compare and contrast thing with other bikers. I love motorcycles, please let me know the financial cut-off point at which you should not be able to ride a Harley Davidson, I may be over the limit.

Last edited by GeorgiaGirl; 04-14-2010 at 12:55 PM.
Old 04-14-2010 | 11:37 AM
eddie62
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Harleys are status symbol to some people, and a way of life for some. Either way I just ride for me, and I don't judge

Old 04-14-2010 | 11:51 AM
Nikon D700
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SUNNYSIDE
I've been riding Harleys since the 60's. If you felt I was defining myself as a "Real Biker" vs. everyone else then you took it the wrong way. What I find insultive is that the people that for years looked down their nose at me because I rode a Harley when Harleys weren't "Fashionable" are now the ones who bought and ride one because it became the "cool" thing to do to own and ride one. Now these same people want to "hang out" and ride with me? Disagree with me if you want, but it my book that makes you a phoney. It's not about being a "Real Biker" it's about being genuine. If you bought a motorcycle because you're into riding, great. The suit that looks down his nose when a working class guy walks by is the same guy in leathers in the bar on the week-ends who wants to bond with you because HE owns a Harley too. It's reality for me, it's role playing for him. He's not going to stop his BMW in the rain when he passes me broken down on the roadway.
Sunnyside, I too have been riding a long time. The first bike I bought was a 78 sportster. After being without a bike for sometime I finally bought a 2005 wideglide. Not because it was cool but, because it was what I liked. I worked long and hard and did in the end have to wear a suit to work. Not that I wanted to but because it was required.....damn administration......they didn't think blue jeans fit the dress code for the position I held. After giving 25 years to my career, I had a serious heart attack. 100% blockage in the vein they (the doctors) call the widow maker. I happened to be drinking a few beers in the garage with some friends after going for a ride, when I had the heart attack. Well, I was told how lucky I was to still be alive and was instructed to find something else to do for a living. Lucky for me I can draw a pension. After the heart attack, my list of things that make me mad got way shorter. I could care less what others think of me for what I wear or the mode of transportation I use.

As far as the guy who owns a Harley and drives past you in the rain when your broke down, well I drive a BMW and have stopped several times to offer help to bikers that may have needed a hand. I don't judge them for how they are dressed or what they may be riding. I just try to treat people the way I would like to be treated. Believe you me, almost dying from having a heart attack really puts things into perspective for a person. I am just happy to still be here and putting more miles on my bike. I always try to treat people with the same respect that they give me and if they don't well then I just blow it off. Life is too short to worry about what others are doing.

Just a thought for what it's worth. Have a good ride and a smooth road!

Old 04-14-2010 | 11:58 AM
poppa steve
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ride because it's fun. But I know how sunnyside feels. When I started riding way back in 05 people looked down their nose at me for riding a metric. Now they kook down their nose at me for riding a Harley. Just can't get a break. I have to go put on my pirate outfit and go ride. Later LOL.

Old 04-14-2010 | 11:59 AM
wyndnface
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,056 Posts

Originally Posted by Hollywood Ball
You were doing alright until you go to your "i'm a real biker and everyone else is a poser RUB" paragraph.

Get real dude.
YEP get real!!!!

"Never assume, for it makes an *** out of U and ME." -

Another poser thread?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bGv6Ijf1aU

TEAMSTER

Old 04-14-2010 | 12:38 PM
TwiggyAZ
Banned

I've been riding Harleys since the 60's. If you felt I was defining myself as a "Real Biker" vs. everyone else then you took it the wrong way. What I find insultive is that the people that for years looked down their nose at me because I rode a Harley when Harleys weren't "Fashionable" are now the ones who bought and ride one because it became the "cool" thing to do to own and ride one. Now these same people want to "hang out" and ride with me? Disagree with me if you want, but it my book that makes you a phoney. It's not about being a "Real Biker" it's about being genuine. If you bought a motorcycle because you're into riding, great. The suit that looks down his nose when a working class guy walks by is the same guy in leathers in the bar on the week-ends who wants to bond with you because HE owns a Harley too. It's reality for me, it's role playing for him. He's not going to stop his BMW in the rain when he passes me broken down on the roadway.

I think this is all imagined self prophecy. How do you know people were looking down on you. It sounds like you couldn't go 2 minutes of your day without somone insulting you for riding a Harley! Maybe you made it what it was! No one ever looked down on me, or my friends, in the 60s, 70s, 80's...everyone was pretty nice and basically the same.

I honestly don't think there is a huge class out there looking down on others. For the most part we are all in the same boat. The difference comes with extreme wealth, and there may be a few here with that and good for them, deserved.

I think if you try to get to know the people that you think looked down on you, you would find they are pretty genuine, and nice people, with pretty much the same wants and needs as yourself.

But if it makes you feel better, I aint stoppin for no stinkin BMW on the side of the road while ridin my scoot!! That'll teach em!!

Old 04-14-2010 | 12:44 PM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 339 Likes on 195 Posts

It seems that the Harley crowd these days is overpopulated with R.U.B.s or Poseurs or week-end bar hoppers or whatever you want to call them. Harleys were once viewed as "Outlaw" motorcycles and weren't ridden by "clean cuts." I never thought I'd see the day when Harleys became Yuppie status symbols ridden by 3 piece suits hoping to impress chicks with their newly acquired "Bad Boy" image. Just saying. I have ridden 2 wheels all my life, but these days in "Harley World" I feel like a stranger in a strange land. Anyone else? I'm sorry, but when one of these dorks pulls up beside me at a light and flashes me a toothy grin decked out in his Harley Boutique attire I want to puke.
But Hey.....That's just my opinion. Yours too?
You just noticing this? The Harley crowd started going that direction 15-20 years ago.

The only time I ever heard of Harley's being called a bad boys bike was in Harley commercials.
In the 70's the old guys would only ride bikes made in countries that were our allies during WWII.
Harleys were popular with them. Indian had been gone for 20 years.

Last edited by piasspj; 04-14-2010 at 03:55 PM.
Old 04-14-2010 | 12:48 PM
XL50#674
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

So far the company I work for is doing real well so far so good for my job. Like was said you had a good post till you bashed other riders. Yes HD's use to be known as the "Bad Boy Bike" but times have changed and HD has alot to do with that. I mean look how much the bikes cost now so you have to have money or a large payment with good credit to get a new one. To me HD's are now like BMW's and car's like that-it's more of a high class symbol. Yes there are still the bad boys out there on there old ratty bikes, but for the most part HD riders are middle to upper class fokes that just want to have a good time and ride a nice bike. Tell you what-if you don't want to wave or talk to a "RUB" then don't, but don't hate on them for doing well form them selfs.

Old 04-14-2010 | 01:07 PM
FLS2FLH
Tourer

Interesting read, this thread is... Got me thinking about the 'yesterday' vs. 'today' world of motorcycling - and specifically HD - and clothes...

There was no such thing as Motoclothes back in the 70's when I started riding. But, what if there were! Many guys who rode a HD back then had the orange and silver winged logo sewn on to the lower back of their jacket. That jacket was typically a crappy ill-fitting (until you wore it for a year) rock hard excuse for something that was specifically made for riding. Fast forward - if the same guys were to have at their disposal a quality jacket w/HD logos today - and it happened to come from the HD company - dontcha think some of them would be wearing them? I remember paying $100 for my first bike jacket in the late 70's. In todays cash, probably close to what the HD jackets go for... and the HD jacket quality blows my old jacket away.

MAybe, just maybe - in some cases the 'poser' is the one with the common sense... (and the collection of old faded Polaroids to prove where he came from).

Old 04-14-2010 | 01:10 PM
TequilaJohn
Outstanding HDF Member

Oh Boy, now I've stepped in it. I've angered the poseurs. I'd better put on my flame retardant suit.
Naw...just your retard suit will suffice.

Quick Reply: Just Wondering