The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just Wondering

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2010 | 10:07 AM
Hollywood Ball
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SUNNYSIDE
Hey Hollywood Ball, I love the photo of you with the assault rifle. I'll bet the B.A.T.F. loves it too......DUH.
Thanks dude! I think its a pretty good picture of myself too.

Not sure what you're getting at with your ATF comment though. I'm a law abiding citizen and that assault rifle is perfectly legal for me to own, possess, and pose for pictures with...now if it was an assault rifle filled with moonshine, cigarettes, and fully auto TEC-9's...I could see where the ATF might have an interest, but it's just your run-of-the-mill assault rifle.

Old 04-14-2010 | 10:17 AM
flibuoy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Dmas I'll bet that back in late 70s, early 80s guys like me thought of you as a yuppie poser. I grew out of that.

I continue to be baffled by this type of discussion...the OP started out talking about the economy and ended up refusing to smile back at someone on a Harley because he had decided he wasn't worthy. My Harley, and the Harleys before it and the what nots before them never did make me a biker...what ever that is...they just make/made me somebody who owns and rides a motorcycle. This crowd is tough to please...if you don't wear enough leather and big boots you are a poser, if you wear too much you are a poser...sometimes I wonder if I am "pretending" to ride my bike, or "pretending" to work on it, clean it and be proud of the fact that I can ride. I am/am not a "badboy" and the Harley has nothing whatsoever to do with it. Somehow it is a badge of honor to be broke or in jail...I have been broke, might be again...never been to jail if you ignore my first marriage.

The concerns about the economy are very real....the rest calls for an examination and maybe meds. I have a couple shirts that have HD on them, I also have some that say I took part in regatta, gave blood, went to a school and stuff like that and you want to come to my house and dress me before you let me pull up to you at a light? My boots say Rockport and don't have thick soles or cleats, my sneaker are ****s...you feel that since this is America the second amendment protects my right to bear arms but nowhere does the Constitution allow me to chose what I wear when I ride. You, and others here, are a self appointed member of the poser police...do you get a discount at McDonald's? Back to the economy...while I appreciate the fact that you consider yourself a "working class hero" most of us have figured out that there isn't a medal for this, it is not a very small slice of our world, it is not an exclusive club it is "just doing what we have to do" no matter what your position in life is. Hopefully those you directly care for consider you their hero.

Try to enjoy your bike for whatever the reasons you place on the privilege, give the other guy the benefit of the doubt...he (or God forbid...she) is probably riding for the same reasons you are. Hopefully without the attitude. Impressing girls is way down the list...the last girl I ran across on the road...when my wife was not with me riding her HD...was on a VMax and she wasn't impressed. If I want to impress a girl with the fact that I can afford to spend many thousands of dollars I suggest a two week long cruise to islands, or new living room furniture to match the new bedroom furniture. That impresses them. There are lots of ways to impress people but I suspect riding a motorcycle is not even near the the top of the list. Actually it was back in your 70s early 80s that I found out what really impresses girls....and I was a slow learner...turns out it is a biological thing and you can't buy a quality one with or without a HD logo.

The OP was doing just fine until he said he was a hero and implied we are not. Me, for one will continue to flip the wave and maybe even smile and nod at every bike I pass. I'll continue to wear what I brung...ride when I feel like it wherever I feel like going. I'll continue to worry about the economy and the many good folks being hurt by it and continue to celebrate the victories and good fortune of those who are not. John

Old 04-14-2010 | 10:17 AM
1320go
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile changes

I agree with Sunny side,but your going to catch a lot of hell from people on this board.The reason being a lot of them are the people your talking about.We just have to live with it.I have gotten to know some of these guys and most of them are nice guys.I,m not sure we are seeing progress or just change. Dave the trool.

Old 04-14-2010 | 10:33 AM
flibuoy
Extreme HDF Member
Smile Hopefully the end of my rant

Just posted and clicked off and went back, noticing post #23 in this thread and for some reason felt the urge to add:

In 1972 a guy named Toffler wrote a book titled "Future Shock" describing changes coming in our world. One of his points was that in the future (remember 1972 ) illiteracy will be defined not as the inability to read and write, but the inability to change.

Others said earlier in the thread that not all change is progress and other valid observations. I, for one, still consider the inability to spell simple words a level of illiteracy. Not because you can't spell them, but because you chose to use them anyway. John

Old 04-14-2010 | 10:46 AM
Harley_Dude
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 102 Likes on 68 Posts

Somebodies gotta keep the market saturated with garage queens.

Old 04-14-2010 | 10:53 AM
mikel61101
Tourer

Originally Posted by SUNNYSIDE
Oh Boy, now I've stepped in it. I've angered the poseurs. I'd better put on my flame retardant suit.
First off if your going to attempt to anger the posers at least spell it right *******...

You know what makes me a biker? That fact I own a bike...

You know what makes me a poser? The fact I have a couple HD products that may or may not get worn thats not your fuc@ing call now is it...

You know what makes you an idiot? You come on here pretending your billy bad *** but you ride a bike 1yr newer than mine...

You know what makes you a tool? Your lack of respect for fellow riders...

I have found that most riders I've encountered are good guys with their own tastes, their own style, and most of them are similar in the fact they enjoy shootin the **** and ridin... If you got a problem with "posers" then I think you should break out the Panhead spend then next hour trying to get that thing started via the kick start and come back on here outta breath and relax... We are on this forum for social networking as someone may be having a problem fixing something or wanna go for a ride and in a matter of less than 24hrs they have multiple opinions about the problem and they will also have several new riding buddies to go for a spin with... If you want to be a loner fine I can respect that as I am not always in the mood to ride with others but keep that bullshit to yourself... Posers please <--- This is my personal poser certification...

Old 04-14-2010 | 11:08 AM
Zig Zag 2010
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I understand how you feel SunnySide. The times have changed a lot. Hell, I even have a new bike now.

I understand but I don't agree with you. There is enough room for everyone here. Just enjoy the ride and have a good laugh over the pirates.
Freedom, remember?

Old 04-14-2010 | 11:11 AM
GHOSTTRAIN
Novice

Image is everything to some guys. Dont get me wrong, i like to look good. I don't feel that just because you have all the new hd stuff that you are a poser. Man i wish everything that i put on said HD on it. The fact of the mater is that different strokes for different Folks.

As for the Red Neck Hill Billy persona decribed in this tread i'm not sure if i fit into to that class either. I work in a body shop for the state of maine. I dont mke tons of money. I am lucky that i still have a job as many out there don't. My wife is a nurse. She makes a hell of alot more than I do. For me i guess it isn't all about the money, The HD stuff, the newest bike, what have you. Its all about riding with good friends having a good time. Getting out on the open road and just being one with the bike. So if I see you at a stop light i'll wave and smile and if that makes you puke than man you have a long, miserable road ahead of you! Why worry about who is doing what around you, maybe a long look in the mirror is what you need to pay attention to.

Old 04-14-2010 | 11:24 AM
SUNNYSIDE
|
Intermediate

I've been riding Harleys since the 60's. If you felt I was defining myself as a "Real Biker" vs. everyone else then you took it the wrong way. What I find insultive is that the people that for years looked down their nose at me because I rode a Harley when Harleys weren't "Fashionable" are now the ones who bought and ride one because it became the "cool" thing to do to own and ride one. Now these same people want to "hang out" and ride with me? Disagree with me if you want, but it my book that makes you a phoney. It's not about being a "Real Biker" it's about being genuine. If you bought a motorcycle because you're into riding, great. The suit that looks down his nose when a working class guy walks by is the same guy in leathers in the bar on the week-ends who wants to bond with you because HE owns a Harley too. It's reality for me, it's role playing for him. He's not going to stop his BMW in the rain when he passes me broken down on the roadway.

Old 04-14-2010 | 11:31 AM
flibuoy
Extreme HDF Member

uh...uh....excuse me sunnyside. If it helps you to relax a little...and I am not speaking for all the posers, yuppies, wannabes like me on here....I don't want to hang out with you so no worries.

Riding doesn't make me angry. John

Quick Reply: Just Wondering