The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just Wondering

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2010 | 09:27 AM
shopewell
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

First off, sorry to hear that your going through some tuff times. The worst thing that happened to me and my company is that we've been on a wage increase freeze for the past year and a half. At least I still have a job.

To address the last paragraph of your post, this whole song and dance gets a little old. You know what, I'm not an aspiring 1%er looking to be a drug mule supplying meth to little kids. I don't spend every night drinking in some dive trying to pick fights. I don't drive a big jacked up pick-em-up truck.

On the flip side, I'm definitely not a yuppy. I work for a living busting my a#$ and putting it on the line. I live in a nice but modest home. My girlfriend works as well to help pay bills. I got a little money in the bank and an actual retirement plan (although it's not what it was a couple years ago). I'm not an "outlaw" (I'd loose my job if I was) but I do have some "firsts", "bests", and "onlys" associated with my name in my industry.

So, if I have to drink skunky beer every night and own a big pick-em-up truck to ride a Harley you can have the bike back and I'll go get a Triumph. Wait, scratch that: you can keep your "good old days" and I'll keep the bike.

Old 04-14-2010 | 09:34 AM
Hollywood Ball
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You were doing alright until you go to your "i'm a real biker and everyone else is a poser RUB" paragraph.

Get real dude.

Old 04-14-2010 | 09:37 AM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,132 Likes on 1,030 Posts

The thing that I really miss the most is the small mom and pop Harley-Davidson dealerships. Everyone of those was different, inside and out. Now, if ya have been in one dealership, ya have pretty much seen them all.

Old 04-14-2010 | 09:45 AM
TequilaJohn
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hollywood Ball
You were doing alright until you go to your "i'm a real biker and everyone else is a poser RUB" paragraph.

Get real dude.
No chit! Cracks my **** up to see these threads lead in with the premise of being concerned about something...only to morph into yet another "real biker" thread.

Old 04-14-2010 | 09:46 AM
SUNNYSIDE
|
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just Wondering

Hey Hollywood Ball, I love the photo of you with the assault rifle. I'll bet the B.A.T.F. loves it too......DUH.

Old 04-14-2010 | 09:54 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by SUNNYSIDE

It seems that the Harley crowd these days is overpopulated with R.U.B.s or Poseurs or week-end bar hoppers or whatever you want to call them. Harleys were once viewed as "Outlaw" motorcycles and weren't ridden by "clean cuts." I never thought I'd see the day when Harleys became Yuppie status symbols ridden by 3 piece suits hoping to impress chicks with their newly acquired "Bad Boy" image. Just saying. I have ridden 2 wheels all my life, but these days in "Harley World" I feel like a stranger in a strange land. Anyone else? I'm sorry, but when one of these dorks pulls up beside me at a light and flashes me a toothy grin decked out in his Harley Boutique attire I want to puke.

But Hey.....That's just my opinion. Yours too?
My opinion is that I started out of high school learning a trade...then put myself through college at night over a period of 7 years which qualified me for a white collar job...10 years later I opened my own company and now enjoy the fruits of my labor. This last year has been very difficult financially and I am not embarrassed to say so. I am also not going to apologize to the likes of you for being successful....so if you don't like the idea that Harley Davidson will sell me a motorcycle...tough **** bro.

Last edited by GeorgiaGirl; 04-14-2010 at 12:55 PM. Reason: No name calling!
Old 04-14-2010 | 09:56 AM
bentryder
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,487 Likes on 2,216 Posts

Originally Posted by will2002
The thing that I really miss the most is the small mom and pop Harley-Davidson dealerships. Everyone of those was different, inside and out. Now, if ya have been in one dealership, ya have pretty much seen them all.

I agree....miss the smaller mom and pop dealerships also...

Old 04-14-2010 | 10:02 AM
SUNNYSIDE
|
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh Boy, now I've stepped in it. I've angered the poseurs. I'd better put on my flame retardant suit.

Old 04-14-2010 | 10:04 AM
TwiggyAZ
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It seems that the Harley crowd these days is overpopulated with R.U.B.s or Poseurs or week-end bar hoppers or whatever you want to call them. Harleys were once viewed as "Outlaw" motorcycles and weren't ridden by "clean cuts." I never thought I'd see the day when Harleys became Yuppie status symbols ridden by 3 piece suits hoping to impress chicks with their newly acquired "Bad Boy" image. Just saying. I have ridden 2 wheels all my life, but these days in "Harley World" I feel like a stranger in a strange land. Anyone else? I'm sorry, but when one of these dorks pulls up beside me at a light and flashes me a toothy grin decked out in his Harley Boutique attire I want to puke.

But Hey.....That's just my opinion. Yours too?
No. I don't know what it is about people that want to stay in the past. I don't know why people like this just leave everyone else alone, exist in your own world with your own kind, and stop insulting everyone else. EVERYONE has the right to their wants and needs here, and that's what they have persued and that's what they like...leave them alone. Does everyone bug you because you can't get out of "old-school"? I don't think so. I don't know why "old-school" is so angry that progress has happened and people are able to aquire a Harley in these days and whether they ride it one day a year or 365 days, and wash it every day, is THEIR business, just like you wanting to stay "old school" is YOUR business.

I've ridden since high school. And yes, everyone put together old bikes then, and were considered the "bad" people of the community. But I never did it to be a black sheep, I did it because it was FUN. Period. And today it is fun to ride a beautiful new HD, and ride with good friends, just as I did then. For years I was engulfed with the MC lifestyle, rock and roll, party 24/7, look bad ***....bla bla bla bla bla. It was a blast, and guess what, today is just as much fun, on a shinny new bike with new friends, new places to ride, more money to spend.....progress, I love it.

As long as everyone is loving what they are doing...what is the big deal??? I don't get it...never will...it is what it is....LET IT BE.

Old 04-14-2010 | 10:05 AM
tas_todd
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 793 Likes on 386 Posts

I've been on "forced vacation" for five weeks now. I'm just about outta vacation hours and if nothing comes in this week, I'll be officially laid off. Fortunatially everything we have is paid off except the house and her truck. I could go on the road (engineering field) but wifey wants me to wait till after summer if I do that due to the kids. I'm all for that since she makes more than me and we're in good shape money wise.

I know alot of folks that are not in the same financial boat as we are and I feel for them. It tok me a lllooonnnggg time to get here.

I'll be glad when things turn around...I'm getting tired of being around the house all the time. I stay busy in my shop w/ projects etc... but still.

Quick Reply: Just Wondering