The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

You ever get that feeling that a bike crash is how you will die?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 09:42 PM
lrays280z
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default You ever get that feeling that a bike crash is how you will die?

Just been thinking about all the threads recently about how many bikers are getting killed on their bikes....I do know that the statistics are much higher for a fatality while riding than being in a cage. Also nowadays there's more cars, cell phones, text messaging, everyone's in a hurry and road rage is becoming more and more of a problem. Is this part of the "thrill" on why we just love to ride? And....I'm not talking about young kids that think they're invinceable and reckless...I'm talking about what I would think would be the majority on this board...mature, 30 and up and relatively safety conscious bikers. I always tell my wife that I love her (as she doesn't ride), cause I'm old enough (41) to realize that my next ride may very well be my last.....I know this is not going to be a topic that a lot of us like to think about....but I know it's something that most of us have thought about but still just love the thrill of having our faces in the wind. What are your thoughts?

Old 03-16-2010, 10:16 PM
Sanders
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I made it past 40, so I figure I'm on borrowed time, anyway.

I reckon I never give my death much thought - laughed in the Grim Reaper's face too many times to care.

Old 03-16-2010, 10:30 PM
krusty1
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It would be a hell of a lot better than wasting away in some nursing home.

Old 03-16-2010, 11:00 PM
murd
Road Warrior

I'd be lying if I said this doesn't bother me. Everyone around me seems to take some pleasure in reminding me about the latest bike fatality. Most often a younger person has lost their life on a crotch rocket, but when a Harley rider go down, I take notice.

My wife was not so on board when I brought my Deluxe home, she was afraid for me. Now she wants her own and I am afraid for her.

Each time I go out I ride the safest I can. Although I have no control of the situation that may come out of nowhere and take me, my wife or both of us out. I make sure I'm on my game. I've said it in previous threads, but I imagine riding my bike like flying a plane, except without any auto pilot.

I figure, I could die in a plane crash, crossing the street, in the bath tub or at my desk in the office.

Something deep compels me to ride. I don't over think it and I most certainly don't ride with fear. Fear will take you out.

...and as goofy as this sound, I like the saying... "Screw it, lets ride"

Old 03-16-2010, 11:32 PM
toastman
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

after living a full life, i'd much rather go out on my bike than in a hospital.

Old 03-17-2010, 12:51 AM
Other Sheep
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

No. I've never had that feeling.

Old 03-17-2010, 01:12 AM
hyPerhog
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yes.. i always think its going to be some big road debri or something from a vehicle.. even if a bolt hits your head while doing 60 you will be knocked the eff out and its all over then......

Old 03-17-2010, 01:37 AM
EricD10563
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 73 Likes on 40 Posts

No, but I think that one day I will stop riding, but I have a few years ago before I get there.

Old 03-17-2010, 01:50 AM
JohnnyBravo
Road Master

yea, about once a month when some fool waits until i am fifty feet from him and pulls out

Old 03-17-2010, 01:58 AM
XLCR4GM
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

If I thought that I would die while out riding my motorcycle, I may not go out riding that day. What I have thought about is when (what age) will I decide to stop riding my motorcycles. My dad passed away at about 80 years old and he had about 5 motorcycles in his garage at that time including a Ninja 1000 that had about $5,000 in engine work done to it so that it would blow away the XS11 bikes that were just coming out at the time. That bike was clocked at 160 MPH and it was his favorite bike out of all of them. I personally know people in their 70s that have fallen down while just walking around their homes and broken their pelvic bones. I can’t imagine what kind of damage you would do to yourself if you had any kind of mishap while out riding on a motorcycle and accidents happen all of the time.

Quick Reply: You ever get that feeling that a bike crash is how you will die?