The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fly by wire throttle.

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2010 | 06:02 AM
bobu
|
Stage II
Question Fly by wire throttle.

I have ridden the newer fly by wire throttle Harleys and found the throttle to be unresponsive. There is no "feel" in the throttle and a slight hesitation in response. It was very prevailant in the 08's but have been told that Harley fixed in in the 09's and later. With the current issues that Toyota has I was wondering if any of the owners of 08 or later bikes with the fly by wire throttle have had problems, issues or querks? I heard one ower say that if he revved his bike up to a high rpm and then turned off the ignition switch(not the engine cut off) when he restarted the bike it would rev up to that rpm and then settle back down to idle.

Old 02-07-2010 | 06:08 AM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member

I haven't had the hesitation issue with mine but mine is an 09. When I first got the bike I noticed it feeling different. After the first week I never gave it a second thought.

Old 02-07-2010 | 10:01 AM
IndyClassic
Outstanding HDF Member

08 and no problems or hesitation, at least not from the throttle. Do I notice the bike is more responsive since changing pipes, Stage 1 and PCV? definitely....but that I am pretty sure that is waking up the 96 some, not the TBW.

As to the revving and losing it's "place", not sure but then I am not sure why someone would turn off while holding the rev or not letting engine fall back down to idle from a high rev either. Maybe they were trying to make it fail?

Old 02-07-2010 | 10:11 AM
scoteh
Club Member

Originally Posted by bobu
I have ridden the newer fly by wire throttle Harleys and found the throttle to be unresponsive. There is no "feel" in the throttle and a slight hesitation in response. It was very prevailant in the 08's but have been told that Harley fixed in in the 09's and later. With the current issues that Toyota has I was wondering if any of the owners of 08 or later bikes with the fly by wire throttle have had problems, issues or querks? I heard one ower say that if he revved his bike up to a high rpm and then turned off the ignition switch(not the engine cut off) when he restarted the bike it would rev up to that rpm and then settle back down to idle.
No one I know has had any problem whatsoever, me included, with the TBW. Why someone would rev a bike to a high rpm and then switch the bike off is beyond me. That's just plain not smart (OK, stupid!). And, you found the newer bikes to be unresponsive compared to what?

Old 02-07-2010 | 10:52 AM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member

The throttle on my '08 never felt unresponsive since I bought it in Aug of '07.

The issue with the Toyota throttle is mechanical in nature, not electronic. There are millions of vehicles from many manufacturers (including Toyota) on the roads with electronic throttle control. Have been for many years.

Old 02-07-2010 | 02:22 PM
honestbob
Elite HDF Member

My 08 FLHT feels just as responsive as my 98 Evo cable throttle did. I just tried reving the engine and cutting switch, The bike started normal.

Old 02-08-2010 | 09:14 PM
Old Bones
Road Master

No problem with my 08.

Old 02-09-2010 | 01:44 PM
Steve Zodiac
Road Master

In Britain Toyota Prius drivers are being told not to drive their cars because if they have an accident knowing their cars are unsafe they could face criminal prosecution.

The brake problem on the Prius is caused by a software fault causing a clash between the anti-lock brake system (ABS) and regenerative braking.

If you are slowing down with the brake pedal pressed and you hit a rough surface, or ice with one of the wheels the brakes completely release for a couple of seconds. It is enough to send you freely rolling forward about four to six feet before they re-apply.

Toyota are saying that is not unsafe. I personally believe differently and so do a lot of people. I certainly don't want to be riding my bike in front of one.

Last edited by Steve Zodiac; 02-09-2010 at 01:47 PM.
Old 02-09-2010 | 02:04 PM
zeus33
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Naw that's baloney. Even if there were a cable it would still be electonic, hence the "E" in EFI.

Maybe you're used to the old carberator engines, where you're actually pulling up an mechanical plunger on a spring when you twist the gasser. Those days are long gone.

Old 02-11-2010 | 05:12 PM
Zap
Club Member

Originally Posted by bobu
I did read in a manual somewhere, and granted I'm not sure which one, as all my equipment is electronic, not to turn off switch at speed or decel. Turnoff at idle. For what it's worth, might want to read the manual.

Quick Reply: Fly by wire throttle.