The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Gloat] Picked up daughter at school in sidecar today

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 04:15 PM
Just-a-Guy
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default [Gloat] Picked up daughter at school in sidecar today

Well, it was 40 degrees out (a heat wave), the sun was shining, and I'm home recovering from emergency surgery. (Life, box-o-chocolates, and all that.) Wife tells me my daughter asked if I could pick her up at school today. Rare treat for me. So I drag myself out, discover the warm sunshine...and a light bulb comes on upstairs. Hmmm.

Wife catches me rolling the rig out of the garage. "...Uh, are you sure you're up to that?" "*** it. I'm doin' it." Wanders off shaking her head.

So I pull up in front of the elementary school, with all the mommies in minivans (lots of nice mommies around here ). The sidelong glances and whispering start. Daughter emerges and sees me, comes running over, and I hand her her helmet. "You...you...you brought the sidecar?!!!" "Sure, ya ready?" "YES!!!!"

So we walk down the steps to where the rig is parked in front of the school, and the crowd starts to gather. You could hear the chatter. "Is that Clare's dad?" "Wow, that's cool." "That looks fun." "Hey, Clare, that's really cool!" "Clare, you're famous now!" Even the mommies get in on it, with one nice blonde asking me, "When are you gonna pick me up in that thing?" (All in good fun, of course.)

By the time we get her goggles and helmet on, and get her strapped in, there's a crowd of about 40 people in a big semi-circle around us. I hear someone say "Well, I want to stay and watch them go." Lots and lots of chatter. Crack the starter, engine roars to life (uh, sorry, yeah, the pipes are loud), the big clunk into first... and we rumble off down the road. I glance down at her in the sidecar...and a million dollars couldn't buy that smile. The kid is in pure heaven.

We stopped at the ice cream shop in town and got a couple of cones. Lo and behold, the owner brings out a picture of his Heritage. There's a Harley owner under every rock. He has to come out to see the bike. Stop at the wine store after that, and a whole crowd of people gather around us, all smiling and slapping me on the back.

Damm. I've said it before and I'll say it again. Sidecars are like banjos. You just can't be unhappy around one.

Gloat over.

Mark

Old 01-07-2010, 05:13 PM
SuburbanMom
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

What a perfect day!! Your daughter is absolutely gorgeous! Hope you have a shotgun for her teenage years......

Old 01-07-2010, 06:03 PM
judge jb
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thats a story you both will never forget... don't let her get too popular over this. you will have pay-back with the boys....{been there-done that}

Old 01-07-2010, 06:29 PM
realmccoy
Tourer

way to go dad thats so cool my boy can't wait till it warms up so i can pick him up from school

Old 01-07-2010, 06:41 PM
Terrific Pacific
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Right on, man.....
My son just turned 14, when I get the chance to pick him up from school on his bike it is so funny to watch him act like it is just ordinary.......maybe even a little boring. All the guys and girls gather around....... The payoff is when I don't pick him up on the bike for a while, he starts pointing out the good weather days and asking if I am going to pick him up on the bike....can I? Please?
A side car though....I could pick up my 9 year old daughter...like you...and be a hero...
Way to go....

Old 01-07-2010, 07:00 PM
GymRat523
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

very cool story, you just made some memories,

Old 01-07-2010, 09:31 PM
Roosterboots
"Utopian Overlord"

There's a Harley owner under every rock.

Story of the day. Quote of the month. Father of the Year.

Old 01-07-2010, 09:40 PM
lizdc
Elite HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by SuburbanMom
What a perfect day!! Your daughter is absolutely gorgeous! Hope you have a shotgun for her teenage years......
Ditto better buy two just in case

Old 01-08-2010, 12:03 AM
Devo6684
Road Captain

Classic! Brought a tear to eyes. ditto on Father of the Year!

Old 01-08-2010, 12:06 AM
performanceisthekey
Road Captain

Awesome story!

Quick Reply: [Gloat] Picked up daughter at school in sidecar today