The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bothered by Easy Rider

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 07:56 PM
Roosterboots
"Utopian Overlord"
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bothered by Easy Rider

I saw it in 1969. Forty years later, I suffer from persistent panic attacks. There's just NO WAY that Wyatt and Billy could have driven across New Mexico on those two bikes. Consider this:

1. They sold a battery-load of coke to Phil Specter.
2. They rolled up the cash and stuffed it into a plastic hose;
3. They capped the hose and made it airtight.
4. They stuffed the hose into the Captain America's gas tank.
5. Captain America's tank held 2.2 gallons. Assuming no reserve, the 74ci Panhead might give them a range of 80-90 miles.

What bothers me is the amount of fuel displaced by the money hose. The hose was about an inch across. For each foot of hose Wyatt crammed into his gas tank eats up 0.04 gallons. I don't have a copy of the movie, but I remember the hose being at least two feet long. With that in his tank, Wyatt could only go about 70 miles before running dry.

The hose might have been longer/wider. The point is, the road they were on would have sections where you wouldn't see a gas station for a hundred miles (or more). Excuse me for bein' a spoiler, but I just can't see this road trip happenin'.

I think it's pure fiction.

Old 01-05-2010, 08:02 PM
Nightking
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

And to think all these years I thought it was true. Dammit!

Old 01-05-2010, 08:02 PM
captaincaveman
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Roosterboots
no way. definitely a true story. You prolly don't believe the Wild Hogs whooped up on the Del Fuegos either do ya

Old 01-05-2010, 08:03 PM
chromedome09
Road Master

no .... say it isn't so.. I'm crushed to think that hollywood would put out a fiction motorcycle movie.

If Easyride may not be real........ Oh god say it isn't so.. could that mean that S.O.A. might not be real too ?

Old 01-05-2010, 08:04 PM
gearjamster
Advanced

Sorry dude but it was just a movie

Old 01-05-2010, 08:06 PM
krusty1
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Roosterboots
I saw it in 1969. Forty years later, I suffer from persistent panic attacks. There's just NO WAY that Wyatt and Billy could have driven across New Mexico on those two bikes. Consider this:

1. They sold a battery-load of coke to Phil Specter.
2. They rolled up the cash and stuffed it into a plastic hose;
3. They capped the hose and made it airtight.
4. They stuffed the hose into the Captain America's gas tank.
5. Captain America's tank held 2.2 gallons. Assuming no reserve, the 74ci Panhead might give them a range of 80-90 miles.

What bothers me is the amount of fuel displaced by the money hose. The hose was about an inch across. For each foot of hose Wyatt crammed into his gas tank eats up 0.04 gallons. I don't have a copy of the movie, but I remember the hose being at least two feet long. With that in his tank, Wyatt could only go about 70 miles before running dry.

The hose might have been longer/wider. The point is, the road they were on would have sections where you wouldn't see a gas station for a hundred miles (or more). Excuse me for bein' a spoiler, but I just can't see this road trip happenin'.

You must have known at the time that it was pure fiction.....Phil Specter looked relatively normal. That was well before his girl friend shootin phase....before he started wearing Don King hair.

The worst thing about the whole movie is the hippy commune scene....very creepy. To this day, hippies give me panic attacks. They might make you sing, weave shitty ponchos, or make you eat healthy vegetables.

Last edited by krusty1; 01-05-2010 at 08:08 PM.
Old 01-05-2010, 08:10 PM
carlgrover
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,265 Likes on 1,309 Posts

Don't you remember the scene where they stopped for gas and the hippie hitchhiker paid for it? No worries. Besides, it was a very little known fact that Captain America and Chuck Norris were friends. That panhead was too scared to run out of gas.

Old 01-06-2010, 05:30 AM
RutRoo
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I think this was before interstates were complete and you were forced to ride backroads.. there were lots of gas stations in that time period.. You can see the skeletons of them all along the back roads.. Butt, I believe that there was a chase vehicle that was never shown..That 's because someone took an awful lot pictures.. I sure that vehicle had extra gas if it was ever needed..

Old 01-06-2010, 05:33 AM
xFreebirdx
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

You ruined the whole movie for me.

Old 01-06-2010, 06:01 AM
OldEnuf2NoBtr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,844 Likes on 1,084 Posts

Psst, They had one Bigazz fueler in front of the Scoots and refueled on the fly. That's why Hopper and Fonda were always squinting. And to this day it's still the reason Nicholson and especially Hopper are still seriously messed up.

Quick Reply: Bothered by Easy Rider