The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why did you buy a HD instead of a metric

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 11:58 PM
4JAYS
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would you rather a bic lighter or a Zippo?

Bics are disposable.

Old 12-12-2009, 07:58 AM
Steeltoe
Cruiser

Because I COULD............finally afford one!!!!

Old 12-12-2009, 08:13 AM
bikermama
Road Captain

I've wanted a harley for as long as I can remember, there's no comparision, as far as I'm concerned their the BEST!!!!!

Old 12-12-2009, 11:29 AM
jandlcars
Extreme HDF Member

in Sep 68 i was a wana be 1% er bought a 46 HD from SF Vice Pres of HA taged with a few 1 was in my way kept me from joining
Metric was not cool and small no british vibrators eather
still ride HD's

Old 12-12-2009, 01:10 PM
fastjoe
Road Warrior
Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Two reasons:

1. My dad had a Harley when I was a kid, and him taking me for rides on it is one of my favorite childhood memories.

2. The intervention of a friend. The first motorcycle I had owned was a 90 model Kawasaki Ninja 600 I bought used in the late 90's. I found out fast that sport bikes are not for me. I have a bad back and the leaned over riding position gets uncomfortable for me pretty quickly. I only kept it a couple months, and resold it. In 02 I decided to try riding again. I had went by the Kawasaki dealer and looked at a new Vulcan 800. I liked it because I could afford it and it looked a lot like a Harley. At the time I only had one friend that rode, so when I saw him I told him that I was thinking about buying the Vulcan. He said, "Why don't you get a Harley?" Well I had heard the myth that all Harley's cost $20,000 dollars, so I replied that I couldn't afford one. He asked what I could afford payment wise, and I told him. He then told me that I could easily get on a Sportster for that if my credit was decent. At the time it was, so I went to the dealer the next day "just to look". It was pouring down raining outside, no way was I going to buy that day and ride a brand new bike home in the rain. Well to make a long story a little shorter, I drove my pickup home with the dealerships delivery vehicle behind me with my new Sportster inside. I'm on my third Harley now, a 95 Wide Glide I bought used, and couldn't be happier. If finances permit my next bike will probably be another Harley.

p.s. The two buddies that I ride with most both ride metrics. When we go to Hooters or some other fine dining establishment, the waitress almost always asks what we ride. I proudly, but not smuggly reply that I ride a Harley, while my friends both lower their heads a bit and admit they ride a Yamaha and Kawasaki respectively. Recently, I've stopped speaking up first, because I don't want it to seem that I'm bragging. Now one of my buddies usually speaks up first and says "he rides a Harley, I just ride a Yamaha."

There are only two kinds of motorcycles, Harleys and everything else. That isn't meant to put down other makes, it's just a fact.

Old 12-12-2009, 01:39 PM
fastjoe
Road Warrior
Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by 1lowsporty
Let the bashing of me begin! I have owned 11 Harleys,last one before my current was a 2002 Screamin Eagle RoadKing. I also at the same time had a 2002 Honda Shadow Sabre and up until recently the bike in the photo. A VTX 1800 which I customized as you can see in the pic. The reason for the Hondas. While I had the RoadKing I wanted a bar hopper I could ride to work. That produced the Shadow Sabre. Almost the same dimensions as a Fatboy-bought used with 1,400 miles for 5 grand. Bike was extremely low maintenance and fast! Solved the problem of me parking the 35 grand I spent on the Roadking parking downtown where my office is and worrying if the bike would be there when I got out of work. Sold the Sabre-for $5500 two years later: ) and picked up the VTX for $5800.00-got to love eBay sometimes! If you never have ridden a VTX 1800-you have to once in your life. The bike is sick fast!! Owning Harleys there are some quick bikes out there. But a VTX1800 will beat any stock Harley in a race all day long,period!!!-I feel the bashing already!! The bike has such a broad torque and horsepower range that hitting 60 in second gear is no problem. I had the one in the picture up to 157 MPH verified by stop watch timing on a track. At that speed the bike was rock solid. I sold that bike for $8 grand. Are Hondas good bikes,yes. Can you pick them up cheap,yes. They are a bike,just like a Harley. I ride what I want to ride because I enjoy riding,which is the whole point of being on two wheels.

I certainly won't argue with you that you can pick up nice used metrics cheap. And, if you like your VTX that's all that matters. However, your post reminds me of a guy named Thomas I used to work with. He had a VTX1800, and always bragged that no Harley could outrun his bike. I didn't hang out with him outside of work, but one day another guy I worked with that rode said that he and Thomas were going riding the next day. He asked if I wanted to join them. Well I got along with that guy well, so I said yes. The next day while we were riding we stopped at a red light and a V-Rod came pulling up in the lane beside us. Thomas had aftermarket pipes on his VTX and started reving his engine. The guy on the V-Rod looked over and Thomas said "let's see what it's got." Well when the light changed that guy on the V-Rod showed him what it had. Let me put it this way, that VTX was Not the first bike to make it to the next stoplight, and it was a good quarter mile between them. I never let Thomas live that down.

Last edited by fastjoe; 12-12-2009 at 01:50 PM.
Old 12-12-2009, 01:43 PM
SportsterBob
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I got an HD because I wanted one. If I wanted to ride a rocket-ship, I'd have a garage full of them. It was a matter of choice!!!!

Old 12-12-2009, 01:52 PM
ChoptXLC
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

I actually started out on a metric (Honda 600RR). It was my first bike that I purchased 2 years ago, about 2 months ago I purchased a Harley and sold off the metric. I felt way more at home on the HD, felt like it was me. The bike is now in pieces sitting in my garage on a new motorcycle jack. I plan on giving it a whole new look over the winter. Ive already purchased a lot of new parts and have a bunch more parts getting powdercoated right now. Needless to say, I cant wait to get on the bike come spring.

Old 12-12-2009, 02:39 PM
CWDoc115
Outstanding HDF Member

Fell in lust with the EG from first glance, and the feeling never went away. Finally, when the time, money & everything else was just right, I paid cash for it and have never looked back.

Old 12-12-2009, 09:33 PM
ohcysp
Cruiser

So I could one up everyone else in my family. Now I get to listen to them tell me about when they are going to get a Harley...but I already got mine.

Quick Reply: Why did you buy a HD instead of a metric