The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does it have to be a black thing?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2009, 01:08 PM
BLKBAGGER
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by schumacher
I like brown leather. Wife years ago bought me a Structure brown leather bomber jacket. By far the best leather coat I've ever owned. Zipper went bad, and I haven't worn it in prob 3 or 4 years.
Now ya got me tempted to have the zipper fixed
I put off having a zipper replaced because I thought it would cost a fortune. I finally took it to a shoe repair guy and he did a great job with a high quality zipper. Cost me $20 I was so happy to have my jacket back I gave the guy a $10 tip.

Old 12-06-2009, 07:31 PM
Tripper
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by exemexer
Been lots of discussion about leather in one form or another on this forum. My question is about color. Most of the guys (and gals) I see who ride, when they wear leather it's black. Why not brown?
I have and wear both brown and black motorbike jackets. No biggie unless you want to sell, then brown jackets take longer to sell.

Old 12-06-2009, 07:47 PM
ranger56528
Extreme HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Black jacket Brown Durango boots.......

Old 12-09-2009, 01:39 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,030 Likes on 770 Posts

Originally Posted by schumacher
really? never heard that one
In the late 60's there was a Frank Zappa song called "Brown Shoes Don't Make It".
Maybe that's what you were thinking of.
I just got a brown bomber style Hein Gericke riding jacket off ebay for .25 on the dollar, so I couldn't help it. Love that jacket even though it doesn't match my boots. Don't know if I get strange looks cuz I don't pay attention to that.

Old 12-09-2009, 08:15 PM
faber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ranger56528
Black jacket Brown Durango boots.......
I wear Justins and Lariats--all brown.

My jackets are black, but I can't deal with the idea of black boots. Maybe if I were a line-dancin' urban cowboy

Old 12-09-2009, 09:27 PM
Tripper
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by faber
I wear Justins and Lariats--all brown.

My jackets are black, but I can't deal with the idea of black boots. Maybe if I were a line-dancin' urban cowboy
Oops, my line dancin' boots are brown, oh, woe is me.

Old 12-10-2009, 12:43 AM
DitchDog
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brown or Black, don't leave home without it.

I have always been a Leather Jacket junkie and am at least half way to handsome today thanks to well designed riding leathers that have saved me from skin grafts.

MC Jackets evolved from the WWII Flight Jackets and those were mostly some variation of Brown. Black was destined to become the favored color of the MC Jacket because Black hides the oil, grease and grime from the road. If you only have one Jacket, and you live in it, then Black will look better longer. And Black is B A D.

The money you can sink in to leather is insane but a worthwhile expense. I only buy American made Leathers. Heavy weight, bomb proof, rated to stop small arms fire, and built to last. Basic Black for most of the year but White perforated Leather for the Las Vegas summers.

I do like the Old School look of a Brown MC Jacket. Classic look and doesn't look like it's trying too hard. When I can afford a third Jacket I might go for Brown.

Wearing any protective jacket is more important than the color. Like they say, dress for the crash not for the ride.

Ride safe,
DitchDog

Old 12-10-2009, 01:14 AM
XLCR4GM
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I bought a Schott two tone (brown and tan) motorcycle jacket back in 1978 or so and it still holds up very well today. Great fit and very comfortable too! I have had a few people ask me about it as most people are used to seeing black jackets on motorcycle riders. I have other jackets that are black and I normally grab one of those without much thought about it. I agree with the idea that the black color hides a lot of road grime and oil and diesel exhaust and bugs and all kinds of other stuff that you end up with on you as you ride around enjoying the life of a motorcycle rider.

Old 12-10-2009, 07:52 AM
Wallaby
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just prefer Black over Brown, I suppose there is always white?

Old 12-11-2009, 11:16 AM
krusr
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They didn't have a brown cow in my size.

Krusr

Quick Reply: Does it have to be a black thing?