The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley v Victory?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 10:29 AM
jimmything
Stellar HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by brutalbrad
I was looking into Victories.. I don't think they cost less. They seem to all be around $20,000.
buddy bought a arlen Ness Jackpot. He got them down to 18k from 23k. That's still pricey.

Old 12-01-2009, 10:29 AM
94fatboy
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by zeus33
You might as well look at the gold wing too. It has a lot of features, good power, on and on....

Personally I bought the Harley for the name and image. If you're looking for power, features, handling, or pretty much anything else you'd go with another brand.
That is the saddest statement I have read in quite sometime...

Old 12-01-2009, 10:32 AM
brutalbrad
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by schumacher
But they aren't metrics. They're more made in the USA that what you and I have in our garages.
They're more powerful, cost less, aren't based on 1923 technology, and hold their value just as well as a Harley.
Moco needs to get off of the fence before the fence collapses.
They are looking more and more like the GM of the past few years recently.

I hope you're reading this Willie G.
To hell with all of the purists that are now all on baggers that don't want change. They'll be dead soon anyways.
We want looks, technology, and something cutting edge. It's looking more and more like Victory is gonna steal a good chunk of yer customer base if you do nothing.
Would truly hate to see Harley become a footnote like GM or Chrysler.
I was looking into Victories.. I don't think they cost less. They seem to all be around $20,000.

Old 12-01-2009, 10:40 AM
rcaddell
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Cost is on par with HD. I like some of their bikes, dislike others. I would have given them serious consideration if there was a dealer close to me. Not that I don't enjoy working on my own bike, but if it is a brand new bike, i want to make use of my warranty.

Old 12-01-2009, 10:45 AM
brutalbrad
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Here is a pretty cool fixed up Victory

Attached Thumbnails Harley v Victory?-victory.jpg  
Old 12-01-2009, 10:53 AM
GrimmRider
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yep, a lot better looking than anything Harley makes at the moment
That is a matter of taste. Personally I find the whole Victory line-up to be very Yamaha-ish looking.

Old 12-01-2009, 10:58 AM
BJB
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

There is a Victory dealer a mile and a half from my place in East Bethel & when I was looking they were the 1st place I went. They are mostly made in in Minnesota and here there actually is a strong dealer network. I had Triumphs and Nortons before and considered a new Triumph but loved the look and the way a FXDF handled. I'm not a big fan of the raked front / small front tire chopper look so a Fat Bob was the H-D model is settled on. I will be adding a True -Track this winter. I like curves.
There is a difference on the fit and finish. The styling of the Victoy also seems like they are the spawn of an air compressor mating with a space ship...Just too "swoopy."
Resale seems to be an issue.
I looked on line at their out of MN dealer availability and it is not even close to H-D.
None the less I would consider haveing a Kingpin bagger if $$ and garage space was no issue.
The local Victory dealer also sells Kawis... Sitting on one felt like I was on a wash tub.

Old 12-01-2009, 11:19 AM
jurob
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i could see me on a cross country. seems a little pricey though. price is not much less than a street glide, but the biggest issue for me is the aftermarket. harley's aftermarket is incredible.

Old 12-01-2009, 11:25 AM
jskwarek
Road Master

I always like to read posts like this on both HD and Vic forums, you start to see the true colors of both sets of riders.

I own both started on Metric cruisers liked them, but was never happy because they were not HD's, when I could finally afford a HD I bought a Road King and turned it into a full on custom. Since then I have bought a Road Glide and a V-Rod because they were the ugly step children of the HD world and I wanted to build another custom more suitable for over the road riding.

Recently I got rid of the Road Glide because everywhere I looked I would see them and I started feeling like a sheep. Don't get me wrong I love HD it is in my blood, but it seems to be over the past 5 - 10 years they have turned into this giant money making machine that wants to get everyone on their machines and now everyone is starting to look the same.

I have always been Victory curious so I started doing some research and went and test rode a Vision. I instantly loved it, handles good and lots of creature comforts like electric windshield, heat seats / grips ect, but doesn't have the dead soul of the Gold Wing. Plus how many have you seen on the road??? I bought one and started tearing into it right away, replaced the exhaust with a 2 into 1 setup got a tuner and an intake plate. Working on a paint and body styling now...

I do have a few complaints... This bike runs extremely hot about the same as the 09 / 10 HD baggers, I am getting used to it, but riding in traffic sucks. Also the Victory dealer network sucks at best even the good dealers are often forced to do stupid things by corporate so they have a lot of growing up to do before they can come close to competing with HD.

Also there is little to no aftermarket support that I have found, this may or may not be a big deal to you and it isn't to me as I enjoy making my own parts. But if you are riding an HD because you can ride down to the local dealer on a nice Saturday morning and pick up a new piece of chrome and have it bolted on then this may not be the bike for you. I even had to make my own lay down license plate frame. I think eventually it will get there, but right now it is all about supply and demand.

As always just my two bits...

Jeff

Old 12-01-2009, 11:35 AM
REVL33
Tourer

One of the Victory Cross series bikes is on my list to own before I die.

i dont like baggers but i really like that bike .

Quick Reply: Harley v Victory?