The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley v Victory?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 07:16 AM
racerdj
Club Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I feel to skip shows that interested people attend is skipping a good marketing venue.

Old 12-01-2009, 07:22 AM
dope_man_21
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by schumacher
But they aren't metrics. They're more made in the USA that what you and I have in our garages.
They're more powerful, cost less, aren't based on 1923 technology, and hold their value just as well as a Harley.
Moco needs to get off of the fence before the fence collapses.
They are looking more and more like the GM of the past few years recently.

I hope you're reading this Willie G.
To hell with all of the purists that are now all on baggers that don't want change. They'll be dead soon anyways.
We want looks, technology, and something cutting edge. It's looking more and more like Victory is gonna steal a good chunk of yer customer base if you do nothing.
Would truly hate to see Harley become a footnote like GM or Chrysler.
Yes schumacher, I know that they are American made, but they are made to the same standards that a Honda is made to, none of which I am knocking, As I said they are nice looking bikes from 30 yards away, and if you don't know what you are looking at then I guess they could look good up close as well. As I said I have seen them (and worked on them) enough to know about some of the aspects of their build. They might be more powerful than a Harley, they might out run a Harley, but I seriously doubt that they will retain thie resale as a Harley does, I also doubt that they will still be in business in 100 years. I bought my Harley not out of brand loyality, but I bought mine for the simple fact that I like to ride, I have rode many metrics over my 20+ years riding I decided that I have seen and rode the rest it was time for the best. Anyone here that doesn't feel this way sould sale thier Harley and buy whatever they consider is the best (I doubt that there is fixing to be a slue of used Harleys on the market). In the end we ride because we like riding, not because of any brand loyality, resale value, power, torque, or dependability, we simply do it because we enjoy it, and physiatrist are so expensive.

Old 12-01-2009, 07:43 AM
fxdsegrl
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I got to tell you that my husband is true blue HD having ridden many since his first in 1977. He loves his current ride which is a 120" Jarz built Ultra..........but

last week we stopped by the Vic dealer to look at the new Cross Country...he really liked that bike and now we have the brochure sitting on the table at home. He says that if he considered one it would be for a second bike. I never thought I would hear that

Does that mean he is sort of brand loyal?

Old 12-01-2009, 07:47 AM
fevest
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a victory jackpot, 2007. Very nice bike. Wasn't real fond of the handling with the small front tire and huge rear tire, 250. All in all it was a very nice bike. My wife liked the harley so I swapped the victory for a corvette and bought a ultra.

Old 12-01-2009, 08:01 AM
fatbob123
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So really its all about branding etc - What I would like to know and I cant change a spark plug is - Is a Harley worth all the extra it costs - Build quality seemed to be good for what I saw at the show -

Anyway I wont be changing but if there had been a dealer in Dublin I may just have been tempted - but only just - It seems Triumph also now with the new cruiser will have a hell of a bike - build quality should be very good there -

Old 12-01-2009, 08:55 AM
tomt
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by joeschmoe
Guys you all must be cleaning a different Victory than the one I own...EVERY PIECE of CHROME is METAL on my Victory Vision. EVERY Victory I have seen has METAL CHROME...So I don't know what you all are talking about...The newer models (06 and up) have an awesome power plant and a STOCK motor has 92 HP and 102 Ftlbs of torque...
Yes they need a LITTLE tweaking but they are a SUPERB motorcycles and I would like to run against you TomT from red light to red light....My Vision would leave you sitting. Apparantely some of you have NOT RIDDEN a Victory as you say it feels like you are sitting on top...I disagree the Road Glide that I previously owned felt like you were sitting on top and on top of FURNACE at that. The Victory's sit you down in the saddle and just makes for a great day or longer ride!!!
I stand corrected. Some lights can be a 1/4 mile apart. But from a stand still, 0 to 60, I'm sorry my FXDX will win. Even if it is only by the thickness of my front tire. Victory's I road suck off the line but really come on strong on the top end. I'm only mentioning the speed part because the Victory tech is always rubbing my nose in it.

I had a SE Fat Boy next to me at a light. We took off and I blew him away about one bike length till 60 then he left me in his dust. Did it again at the next light and the same thing happened.

I don't want anyone thinking I'm bashing Victory's. They are really cool looking bikes. A lot of the newer models have black rubber coated turn signals instead of the chrome paint.

I do get to ride a lot of them including the Vision, because of my business. Comparing the Victory to mine. I prefer my Harley.

Note: I don't see Victory's costing less then Harley's. The new ones I've seen at the dealer are about the same price.

Old 12-01-2009, 09:01 AM
Wallaby
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My nearest Victory dealer is a LONG way away which pretty much rules them out for me if I was interested in them. I do agree with others, Victory is making bikes now that are becoming more desirable to some of todays riders, they are playing catch up to H-D no question, but in comparison, are still a small player on the field.

I do appreciate that Victory are forging new ground with their model design, like it or loathe it, the Victory Vision ain't no H-D clone, and I find it refreshing for a manufacturer to walk that path. It seem's it is all too safe for most manufacturers to go down the "clone" road to steal sales away from H-D.

Old 12-01-2009, 09:05 AM
SBRob
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,241 Likes on 1,678 Posts

I agree with schu...not dissin' HD, I'm real happy with my Street Bob and plan to keep it for a long time. But, down the road I'd like to get a bagger bike for longer overnight rides(and keep the Street Bob) and I'm seriousely looking at the Victory Cross Roads or the Cross Country bikes.

They both have more powerful engines, the bags have more storage capacity, better suspension travel with a 26 in. seat height, they are lighter and cost less than the HD touring bikes.

There's a local dealer 10 mi. from my house that sells 'em and this same dealer also has a HD dealership as well. They've been in business many years.

Just sayin'...HD's not the only game in town.

Old 12-01-2009, 09:10 AM
ConnMan
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The thing that turns me off about the Victorys are the jap switch gear and floppy plastic turn signals. I honestly think I'd buy a Kawasaki first. The quality of the Victorys just doesn't measure up in my book.

Old 12-01-2009, 09:26 AM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,121 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Originally Posted by qwispichkn
Yeah,..........That!

Quick Reply: Harley v Victory?