The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley v Victory?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 05:29 AM
dope_man_21
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I have seen a couple of the Victory bikes at my local indy, and from 30 yards away they look like great machines, and they run great, but the problem that I have with them is once you get up close you see the same things that you see with your common everyday metric, all of the plastic parts and plastic chrome. If you wanna build a cheap bike sell it at a cheap price. I paid more than 90% of the rest of the people riding motorcycles today (metrics included) for my bike, but I have real American Steel and chrome plating over that, not over plastic.

Old 12-01-2009, 05:32 AM
Coaster
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I think they make nice looking bikes but if you like to wrench I just don't think you can beat a Harley. There are countless after market parts for Harleys and I also like the way HDs are put together. Just has more of a nuts and bolts feel then any other bike. Other then that Vics are alright in my book.

Old 12-01-2009, 05:36 AM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by dope_man_21
I have seen a couple of the Victory bikes at my local indy, and from 30 yards away they look like great machines, and they run great, but the problem that I have with them is once you get up close you see the same things that you see with your common everyday metric, all of the plastic parts and plastic chrome. If you wanna build a cheap bike sell it at a cheap price. I paid more than 90% of the rest of the people riding motorcycles today (metrics included) for my bike, but I have real American Steel and chrome plating over that, not over plastic.
But they aren't metrics. They're more made in the USA that what you and I have in our garages.
They're more powerful, cost less, aren't based on 1923 technology, and hold their value just as well as a Harley.
Moco needs to get off of the fence before the fence collapses.
They are looking more and more like the GM of the past few years recently.

I hope you're reading this Willie G.
To hell with all of the purists that are now all on baggers that don't want change. They'll be dead soon anyways.
We want looks, technology, and something cutting edge. It's looking more and more like Victory is gonna steal a good chunk of yer customer base if you do nothing.
Would truly hate to see Harley become a footnote like GM or Chrysler.

Last edited by schumacher; 12-01-2009 at 05:51 AM.
Old 12-01-2009, 06:15 AM
tomt
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I don't like them. I detail them for a dealer in the area. So I get to ride most of the models. They sound like a truck riding down the road. And when you turn the throttle the exhaust sounds like your cracking a whip.
The engine just sounds like it's out of tune. The Arlen Ness models look cool with the wide tires and custom paint, but they just don't feel good in the saddle. It's like riding on top of the bike not in it.

The tech hates Harley's. He is always bragging about how fast Victory's are. (I just listen because, you know, the customer is always right.) Well, I don't think so. My stock FXDX off the line feels like it has more torque then the Victory. I don't care about top end speed. 0 to 60 is how I judge how fast a vehicle is. Back in the day it was stop light to stop light street racing. 1/4 mile runs, at the track, well that's a different story. Who gets to take their bike to a track anytime they feel like drag racing. A stock Victory might win at the track but on the street, light to light. I don't think so.

This is only my opinion. What ever wets your whistle I always say.

Old 12-01-2009, 06:16 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,945 Likes on 3,558 Posts

Originally Posted by schumacher
But they aren't metrics. They're more made in the USA that what you and I have in our garages.
They're more powerful, cost less, aren't based on 1923 technology, and hold their value just as well as a Harley.
Moco needs to get off of the fence before the fence collapses.
They are looking more and more like the GM of the past few years recently.

I hope you're reading this Willie G.
To hell with all of the purists that are now all on baggers that don't want change. They'll be dead soon anyways.
We want looks, technology, and something cutting edge. It's looking more and more like Victory is gonna steal a good chunk of yer customer base if you do nothing.
Would truly hate to see Harley become a footnote like GM or Chrysler.
I have to second that comment....BTW i drive Fords...

Old 12-01-2009, 06:30 AM
reynoldss
Cruiser
Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by tomt
I don't like them. I detail them for a dealer in the area. So I get to ride most of the models. They sound like a truck riding down the road. And when you turn the throttle the exhaust sounds like your cracking a whip.
The engine just sounds like it's out of tune. The Arlen Ness models look cool with the wide tires and custom paint, but they just don't feel good in the saddle. It's like riding on top of the bike not in it.

The tech hates Harley's. He is always bragging about how fast Victory's are. (I just listen because, you know, the customer is always right.) Well, I don't think so. My stock FXDX off the line feels like it has more torque then the Victory. I don't care about top end speed. 0 to 60 is how I judge how fast a vehicle is. Back in the day it was stop light to stop light street racing. 1/4 mile runs, at the track, well that's a different story. Who gets to take their bike to a track anytime they feel like drag racing. A stock Victory might win at the track but on the street, light to light. I don't think so.

This is only my opinion. What ever wets your whistle I always say.

Same thing I found. They still have a way to go IMHO.

Old 12-01-2009, 06:34 AM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by reynoldss
Same thing I found. They still have a way to go IMHO.
agreed, but my point is.....it's not gonna take them long to catch up

Old 12-01-2009, 06:34 AM
tomt
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by dope_man_21
Your right dope_man. Your lucky the plastic chrome on these bikes last a year. I get bikes that's been on the road only one season with the plastic chrome pealing off the turn signals.

When cleaning these bikes I use to forget that the chrome wasn't real. Can't use chrome products on them. Just wash and wipe dry, with a little wax you use for clear coat. And please don't rub to hard or you will see chrome on your rag.

Old 12-01-2009, 06:57 AM
Haulen Ass
Former Sponsor
Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

I've been able to work with a couple 8 Ball bikes and they are nice bikes, and their American made as well. Built well and sorta Factory customized. They also cost a bit more. I think they have their own culture like Harley riders have.

Old 12-01-2009, 07:09 AM
joeschmoe
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tomt
Your right dope_man. Your lucky the plastic chrome on these bikes last a year. I get bikes that's been on the road only one season with the plastic chrome pealing off the turn signals.

When cleaning these bikes I use to forget that the chrome wasn't real. Can't use chrome products on them. Just wash and wipe dry, with a little wax you use for clear coat. And please don't rub to hard or you will see chrome on your rag.
Guys you all must be cleaning a different Victory than the one I own...EVERY PIECE of CHROME is METAL on my Victory Vision. EVERY Victory I have seen has METAL CHROME...So I don't know what you all are talking about...The newer models (06 and up) have an awesome power plant and a STOCK motor has 92 HP and 102 Ftlbs of torque...
Yes they need a LITTLE tweaking but they are a SUPERB motorcycles and I would like to run against you TomT from red light to red light....My Vision would leave you sitting. Apparantely some of you have NOT RIDDEN a Victory as you say it feels like you are sitting on top...I disagree the Road Glide that I previously owned felt like you were sitting on top and on top of FURNACE at that. The Victory's sit you down in the saddle and just makes for a great day or longer ride!!!!

I agree with Schumacher, the Cross Roads in BLACK is on my list to own I just need a BIGGER garage.

To each there own but Harley needs to wake up or like said above they will go the way of GM or Chrysler....And yes Victory is MORE AMERICAN made than Harley with more power, more bling, for LESS MONEY!

Last edited by joeschmoe; 12-01-2009 at 07:11 AM.

Quick Reply: Harley v Victory?