The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley v Victory?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 07:06 PM
100inchhammer
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tomt
I don't like them. I detail them for a dealer in the area. So I get to ride most of the models. They sound like a truck riding down the road. And when you turn the throttle the exhaust sounds like your cracking a whip.
The engine just sounds like it's out of tune. The Arlen Ness models look cool with the wide tires and custom paint, but they just don't feel good in the saddle. It's like riding on top of the bike not in it.

The tech hates Harley's. He is always bragging about how fast Victory's are. (I just listen because, you know, the customer is always right.) Well, I don't think so. My stock FXDX off the line feels like it has more torque then the Victory. I don't care about top end speed. 0 to 60 is how I judge how fast a vehicle is. Back in the day it was stop light to stop light street racing. 1/4 mile runs, at the track, well that's a different story. Who gets to take their bike to a track anytime they feel like drag racing. A stock Victory might win at the track but on the street, light to light. I don't think so.

This is only my opinion. What ever wets your whistle I always say.
I own a 05 Hammer, ridden everything from a V92C to a Vision. They are great machines period! My Hammer has over 500 passes at the strip, I also race in the AMRA, so if you attend one, look me up, there is only 4 or 5 of us racing Vics. These bikes are practically bulletproof, I'm a 275# rider, launching 1.68-1.73 60fts with ET's from 11.84 to 12.26 and I have yet to do anything except change the oil and sch'd maintenance (plugs, belt tension, brakes, etc...). I have litterally hammered my Hammer and it is 100% mechanically sound at 28k miles.

Yes they do have an industrial sound to them. It is the mechanics of the primary that give them the noise, mainly the TQ compensator, which reduces the pulses from each cylinder firing. The noises are only prominent during idle, once the clutch is engaged and power is applied the noises all go away.

The bikes come with a horrible sound from the factory with the stock exhaust...really muffled and have a stock RWHP of 76 and RWTQ of 95. Add a Stage I exhaust (Sounds awesome, not loud at all.) and an aftermarket air cleaner and you now have a bike that makes 96-98HP at the wheel and 108 ft lbs of TQ @ 2800rpm ON A 100" ENGINE. Throw in a set of cams and you now have 110+ HP and TQ at the wheel. These mods can be done cheap too, $400 Stage I, $300 intake and $350 cams, I can do the entire job in 5 hrs or another $300 from the dealer. For an additional $1350, you have 110+ RWHP and TQ, for you magazine readers, that's 129 HP at the crank. Where can you get that kind of perf for $1350? These bikes run! 11 seconds with a 275# rider, top speeds in excess of 140mph???

Tomt, your bike at peak TQ, doesn't even come close to mine at it's lowest TQ. Get that out of your head that your bike has more bottom end grunt. My buddy rides a wide glide and he rode my bike and said the same thing. We went out and did a 2nd gear roll on from 2000rpm, it wasn't even a race. I left him like his bike died and he's a 200# rider. My bike pulls hard all the way to redline. When you look at the graph attached you will see that both bikes lose TQ early on, that's the restrictive exhaust, cams and airbox. My bike makes it's peak TQ at 5800 RPM and makes 85 ft lbs at 2000rpm.

Attached Thumbnails Harley v Victory?-xc_dyno.jpg  

Last edited by 100inchhammer; 12-01-2009 at 07:20 PM.
Old 12-01-2009, 07:13 PM
ChopperBill
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,151 Likes on 1,261 Posts

Had Harleys for over 30 years. Worked at a Polaris dealer for over 20 years. My take on it is if Harley would of thought of it first they would be engineered and look more like Victory. Been in the farm equipment business most of my life (they had a Polaris dealership) and to me Harley has got the same following as John Deere. Believe me there are just as good and better tractors than John Deere just as there are just as good and better motorcycles than Harley. If I was in the market for a new bike I would give the Victory a very strong look.

Old 12-01-2009, 07:20 PM
Nozzleman 216
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by schumacher
They're more powerful, cost less, aren't based on 1923 technology, and hold their value just as well as a Harley.
they don't hold value for ****!!! just go look for a used one and you will see. I was a Victory owner trust me. Nothing like buying a $17000 motorcycle and being able to sell it for less than half before its paid off

Old 12-01-2009, 07:23 PM
Ruralmed
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I often ride with a buddy who owns an 06 Victory Vegas Jackpot. He has done the stage I upgrade with Rhinehart Exhaust. His bike is fun to ride and very dependable. We have raced several times over the last couple of years, and they run together well. My bike has always had more top end, but now with 15k on both bikes I am leaving him in every gear after 2nd. I have the SE 103 Stage II build with 255 cams, V&H pipes, SE Pro Race Tuner.

The build quality it better with my Harley, but the Victory is considerably cheaper. Both bikes will offer you years of trouble free riding and the satisfaction of American thunder.

Old 12-01-2009, 07:31 PM
WWECOUGAR
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nozzleman 216
they don't hold value for ****!!! just go look for a used one and you will see. I was a Victory owner trust me. Nothing like buying a $17000 motorcycle and being able to sell it for less than half before its paid off
Well the Harley resale ain't what it used to be. Better than Victory, I think, but still takin' a hit. If you buy one to ride that really doesn't matter, now does it? I like the Victory lineup, but not sure I would buy one. I like having a choice though.

Old 12-01-2009, 07:35 PM
*NIGHT TRAIN*
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Harley vs Victory?

Harley, please...would I consider a Victory as a 2nd bike?

Sure...there's LOT'S of other bikes I'd consider as a 2nd bike...

Old 12-01-2009, 07:41 PM
Airborne06
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by zeus33
Well, I think you misinterpreted what I meant to say. I bought a harley for the whole harley life style, the comoradarie, the bad azz image, the riding in formation with a dozen friends all with loud bad *** harleys. You can't compete against that.
I'm saying if you wanted a fast bike you'd buy a crotch rocket, if you wanted electric windshields you'd probably buy a Victory or Honda. Me? I bought a Harley just because it's a harley, and everything that goes with it, including this forum.
It's your money and your life...spend it and live it as you wish, even if your persona epitomizes and perfectly illustrates a thin veneer of cliche' marketing.

Old 12-01-2009, 07:45 PM
Dixie Dreg
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Y'all ride ride whatever you want, I damn sure ain't payin' your bike payments. I don't like the Victoryies, don't like the way they look, they look like artificial pretty-boy wanna-be bikes to me, I'm sticking with my Fatboy, or a Road King Custom, possibly a Ducati as an extra,but thats just me.

Old 12-01-2009, 07:47 PM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Nozzleman 216
that's why I'd never buy any 17K bike (no matter what the make). Yer gonna take a bath regardless.

and 100inchhammer, will yer Victory do this?
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/gener...ur-harley.html

Old 12-01-2009, 07:55 PM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

When Harley decided to name the sissy bar on the new Wide Glide an "Attitude bar"...........that screamed "artificial pretty-boy wanna-be bikes' to me Dixie.
I think a part of me died when I read that.
Harley had officialy become it's own cliché.

Say what you want, but some of the new Harleys scream some pretty odd things themselves

Quick Reply: Harley v Victory?