The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley v Victory?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 09:04 AM
FloridaFLHX
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Good friend of mine who has been riding a Honda VTX1800 just bought a Victory Vision. I don't think he is a member of HD Forums, so I can say this out loud: that is one ugly bike, IMHO. Looks like a venus fly trap. What the heck am I gonna do when he wants to go to Bike Week with me??

Old 03-05-2011, 09:06 AM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by nhbiker1961
There is one thing I did like about the Crossroads when I rode it. The floorboards have tons of space. There is no need for highway pegs. I wish harley would do something different with the floorboards. They are too close to the motor, ( I know there are extenders you can buy) and they are too short, not allowing to stretch out.
That's one of the things I didn't like about the Road King I took for a spin. It just wasn't comfortable the way you sat on it.....really surprised me. That and it weighed way too much for my screwed up left leg.
If Harley was to build a lighter weight tourer that let you stretch out a bit more, I'd trade the Vic in a heartbeat.

Old 03-05-2011, 09:10 AM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by FloridaFLHX
Good friend of mine who has been riding a Honda VTX1800 just bought a Victory Vision. I don't think he is a member of HD Forums, so I can say this out loud: that is one ugly bike, IMHO. Looks like a venus fly trap. What the heck am I gonna do when he wants to go to Bike Week with me??
yeh, you can say that. I'm not a fan of the Vision either. I once suggested they change the fairing design in one of the Vic forums. You can guess what kind of answers I got on that one

Old 03-05-2011, 12:28 PM
Road Toad
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by FloridaFLHX
I would make him ride no closer than 3/4 mile from me and pretend I didn't know him.

Wear a shirt that says "I'm with the ugly one".

When someone coments about him, hold up you hand, spread your fingers and say "live long and prosper".

Old 03-05-2011, 08:05 PM
Timmy B
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: 12 year, Colombia, 4 years Mexico, currently In Kuwait, but Boston is HOME!!
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I have never liked the look of AN. Tooo something for me, He is a great builder!................. but just not for me.

Old 03-06-2011, 04:37 AM
2vtwin
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Love my Vics, Ducs, and my HD XR1200. I'm a motorcyclist, got nothing bad to say about any brand. We are such a minority in this country we have to learn to stick together instead of acting like congress. I'm guilty I suppose, don't like Goldwings. Anyway I have my own decision process when making a purchase, it's my ride and has to meet my needs. I've noticed more heat coming off of the XR motor than my Vics, love the sound with the V&H pipes, good brakes, good handling, won't keep up with my Ducs in the hills but it's a keeper. - Gene

Old 03-08-2011, 06:05 PM
Ed_Just_Ed
Tourer

Originally Posted by Timmy B
I have never liked the look of AN. Tooo something for me, He is a great builder!................. but just not for me.
Along the same lines, I once heard a criticism of Victory that went something like:

As long as you like Arlen Ness, you'll like Victory Motorcycles. The only problem is that his (AN) style is the only style that really is feasible on those bikes.

I personally like the lines of the Vegas/8Ball (not the rear fender on the Kingpin) but the finish on the bikes leaves a bit to be desired.

Specifically, I really do not care for the cheesy turn signals. The Victory salesman told me that is how they keep prices down by not putting on expensive versions of something that very commonly gets replaced anyway. Huh?

By that reasoning, maybe they should put on chintzy handlebars or exhaust not meant to last.

If I spend that much on a bike (Harley or Victory) I would like the quality from the manufacturer to be top notch JUST IN CASE I choose not to swap everything out.

Of course, I've been wrong before...

Old 03-08-2011, 06:17 PM
cameraboy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Specifically, I really do not care for the cheesy turn signals.
I agree COMPLETELY about the turn signals. And the instrumentation on the pre 2011 bikes was awful. they seem to have fixed that though.

Old 03-08-2011, 10:16 PM
HDHog1
Intermediate

Damn this is a long thread. I will weigh in anyway. The fit and finish can't stand up to HD. Victory is getting bigger and better. But dealers and part availability is still mighty thin.

I have ridden several, they are fast and quite smooth. After 80 MPH on my Fatty the mirrors are useless. I know after 80 who cares. It's just at 110 MPH, I can still use the mirrors on a 100" Victory

Old 03-08-2011, 11:21 PM
krusty1
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by HDHog1
Damn this is a long thread. I will weigh in anyway. The fit and finish can't stand up to HD. Victory is getting bigger and better. But dealers and part availability is still mighty thin.

I have ridden several, they are fast and quite smooth. After 80 MPH on my Fatty the mirrors are useless. I know after 80 who cares. It's just at 110 MPH, I can still use the mirrors on a 100" Victory
Don't worry, at a 110 mph you'll still be able to see the blue lights flashing in the mirrors no matter how much they vibrate...but can you actually do 110 on your fatty?

Last edited by krusty1; 03-08-2011 at 11:31 PM.

Quick Reply: Harley v Victory?