The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loose leather on brand new saddle bags

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 01:50 PM
bradschak
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loose leather on brand new saddle bags

I need some advice. I bought my 2009 Road King Classic back in June. The leather saddle bags had a nasty scratch from someone throwing their leg over that did not quit make it. The dealer was cool about changing the bags but instead of ordering new ones, they took bags off a bike on the sales floor. Now the leather is coming loose from the top of both bags and really looks like crap. I have tried everything from leather treatment and every other thing to try to stretch the leather back out but it just isn't working. Should I suck it up or go back to the dealer and request replacement of the bags? What would you do? Thanks.

Old 11-20-2009, 02:06 PM
frog13
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by bradschak
I need some advice. I bought my 2009 Road King Classic back in June. The leather saddle bags had a nasty scratch from someone throwing their leg over that did not quit make it. The dealer was cool about changing the bags but instead of ordering new ones, they took bags off a bike on the sales floor. Now the leather is coming loose from the top of both bags and really looks like crap. I have tried everything from leather treatment and every other thing to try to stretch the leather back out but it just isn't working. Should I suck it up or go back to the dealer and request replacement of the bags? What would you do? Thanks.
Bought in June? Make a warranty claim if it's a defect, have a buddy who had something similar, it was a blemish in the leather and they replaced both bags.

Old 11-20-2009, 04:01 PM
karlmdog
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You bought the bike new, paid a lot of money, it should look new. The fact that the leather is coming loose on both bags would suggest some sort of defect in the manufacturing process or the leather itself - either way not your problem. Bring it back to the dealer and tell him to make it right, you're a good customer and don't deserve to be stuck with crappy looking bags on that nice new RKC. Don't settle for what is clearly less than what you bargained for. Good luck.

Old 11-20-2009, 08:04 PM
SleeplessinVegas
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They need to make it right.

Old 11-20-2009, 09:20 PM
hagger
Banned
Received 56 Likes on 33 Posts

You say it's coming loose, then you say your trying to stretch it back out.
Not sure I understand what's going on with them/it. Be nice if you could post a pic.

Last edited by hagger; 11-20-2009 at 09:22 PM.
Old 11-20-2009, 09:28 PM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Your complaint is common on RKC's made in the last 5 years or so. HD has changed something or another with the bags. There are lots of complaints of stretched leather and/or warping lids. Older models don't seem to have that trouble. My 2000 RKC bags are still in great shape and have seen plenty of miles/rain/washings.