The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is the Engine 2 Cylinders ??

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 02:35 PM
CountryPunk
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with you to a point. I'm a beginner and know very little compared to most here who have been riding for 20+ years. Everything I know, I know because I put in the time and did the reading/research to find out. You have to help yourself with what you can before asking someone else as far as I'm concerned.

Old 10-13-2009, 02:59 PM
Tat2u
Road Warrior
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

Yes I'm sure you didn't ask but don't worry about it, sillier things have been asked..... I think..... ok maybe not lol

Old 10-13-2009, 04:07 PM
harper764
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by freedub2003
As the old saying goes "The only stupid question is the one not asked".
i disagree

Old 10-13-2009, 06:35 PM
'09fxdb
Tourer

Originally Posted by obonaventure
Don't get me wrong here. There are a ton of awesome guys (We all know who they are!) here who would give you the shirt of their back if it would help solve a problem. I'm no expert and when I ask a question i feel honored, if you will, when some of these guys step up and help.

It kills me when I see someone ask a question that certain people think is not worthy of an answer or think "how dare you ask something so fundamental. You should not own a motorcycle", but still feel the need to submit their worthless comments.

I bet there are a lot of people out here that would never ask a question for fear of being put out there for ridicule.
I agree with you 100%...I feel honored to be able to help "MOONOR" with his question.......but just watch what happens..makes me feel ashamed to ride in the same circles as some people...I choose my riding buddies ... they don't choose me......(stirin' up the storm???)

Old 10-13-2009, 07:03 PM
pthauvet
Cruiser

Moonor...nothing wrong asking questions, I am personally far from being a senior forum member and I'm sure I will ask questions where answers are very obvious to others...but IMO you should have answered " yes mr officer they run cylinders has big as you head, mr officer" he would have probably think twice about challenging you...he he he!

Old 10-13-2009, 07:53 PM
domenicp7
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 10-13-2009, 09:10 PM
TexasFXD
6th Gear

Originally Posted by domenicp7
Except the following is an excerpt from the above referenced site:
Here's how a V Twin engine works... A normal two cylinder engine fires the pistons in such a way that one fires on the first revolution of the crankshaft, and the second one first on the second revolution. The engines runs quite smooth under this design. But a Harley engine has two pistons, and the crankshaft has only one pin (in the design above, which is a common design, there are two crank pins for the connecting rods which the pistons connect to), and both pistons are connected to it. So the pistons fire almost at the same time. Whereas in the example above they fire at different intervals.
I don't think "the pistons fire almost at the same time"

Old 10-13-2009, 10:20 PM
archergodwin
Elite HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts

I would say the person that wrote that, never rode a british style 650 bike..... where both pistons are going up and down at the same time... yes different firing on different strokes..... but not smooth.. lol

... and saying the Harley fires both cylinders at almost the same time / two crank pins...etc..etc... guy probably writes articles and posts them on wikipedia also...

As far as posting questions, ask away. Ignore the ******* "answers" and listen to the guys that are not trying to make you feel dumb.

Old 10-13-2009, 10:30 PM
icecaps
Reading More Posting Less
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For those that require visual aids:

http://www.animatedpiston.com/TwinCam.htm

Old 10-13-2009, 10:41 PM
YoungGun
Cruiser

Originally Posted by icecaps
For those that require visual aids:

http://www.animatedpiston.com/TwinCam.htm
You read my mind, Sure as hell not an expert by no means, But I find the majority of the membership here very helpful and knowledgeable

Quick Reply: Is the Engine 2 Cylinders ??