The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Did you buy your biker stripes, or earn it?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 02:42 PM
Cyphilis
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Did you buy your biker stripes, or earn it?

hell I forgot I posted this until someone sent me a nice email about it.. 25 pages, nice! I quit looking at it a day or 2 after posting it. I guess I struck a cord with people (I'm good at getting under peoples skin, hence the name Cyphilis, yes, like Syphilis).

I didn't write the original post (which I have now deleted) to try to prove anything to anyone. Just letting people know there is more to that thing with 2 wheels you own, then meeting once a week at bike night. With that said, let me share something about a guy I met a few weeks back on a trip with some buds through yellowstone.

We were sitting in a tiny little town, on the northwest entrance to yellowstone, called Cooke City Montana. If memory serves, it was called the Bear Tooth cafe,. but I did down more then a few beers there so the name might not be right. Me, and my 3 friends who I take a trip with every year were sitting there outside at a table after having some great food. There was a couple behind me talking, switching back between french and english. I noticed he was wearing a vest, with HOG pins all up one side of it. Now this guy didn't have a big bushy beard, long pony tail and have tattoos up and down each arm. He just looked like your normal nice older fellow. I asked him where he was from and he said Montreal Canada. I asked if he rode down here, and he said "Oh yeah, we have come here for the past 10 years. Its the most beautiful place we have ever been to". By the way, I wouldn't disagree, it was awesome. I asked him what he rides, and he said "I ride a,.. a... I don't know what it is in English, but its like a FLHTC or something". I said, an Electra Glide? He replied, "Yes, and Ultra Classic". I asked if he likes the bike, and told him I ride the same thing. He said "Oh yeah, I like the bike. I just traded in my 06' model for a 2009. I had just over 150 clicks on it". My jaw dropped, and I asked him,.. you put on 130 thousand miles, in 3 years? He said him and his wife leave Canada in April of every year, and don't go home until October. He has been doing that for the past 10 years, but has been riding for 54 years. That really opened my eyes a lot. It made me realize, that in every guy who owns a bike,.. no matter if they ride a Harley, Honda, crotch rocket, or chopper... they all have the love for the same thing. I will admit, that maybe I shouldn't of spoke out of turn and made the post I did, more or less bashing people. We are all here for the same thing, the same reason, and most of us are wired the same way. So no hard feelings if I offended anyone by my original post here. Hell you yuppies are allright, and I guess you can kinda call me one. Yesterday I put a down payment on a 2010 Road Glide. But I still won't change my signiture,.. I still feel the same way about that, ha-ha. Die Yuppie Scum

Last edited by Cyphilis; 09-16-2009 at 02:51 PM. Reason: because I can
Old 08-13-2009, 02:43 PM
Cyphilis
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Damn, Im a dummy.. meant to post this in the General chat, not the softail section... forgive me.

Old 08-13-2009, 02:44 PM
BLKnCHRME09Deluxe
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

holy $hit....A novel....give me some time to read...ok i read it.....well most people who own harleys don't live out of them..if they own a harley im sure they own a house or something. As Hd's are pricey compared to other manufactuers. Im sure people would have a place to live other than owning a HD and being homeless. I don't see alot of homeless bikers. Well i guess your the exception. Were you a homeless rest area biker?

Last edited by BLKnCHRME09Deluxe; 08-13-2009 at 03:14 PM.
Old 08-13-2009, 03:01 PM
teamstersteward
Elite HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

there will be a test after wards
so are you saying it;s ok for you to express how you feel but no one else should ? and who gives a fluck how anyone got there ride long as I didn't pay for it. this is an open forum if its not your cup of tea ................

Old 08-13-2009, 03:04 PM
mke125125
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im curious just how you got your name. did you earn it? kidding.

Old 08-13-2009, 03:20 PM
chrome-dome-dave
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I hear ya man and understand where your coming from.

Old 08-13-2009, 03:21 PM
jknowlton
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

First of all, I dont really see anything in there that will get people ticked off, but then again, sometimes it doesnt take much. I have a few thoughts on the subject and some personal feelings to add to it, that mostly go along with what you are saying.

Sorry to HIJACK if you think I am, just giving detailed response!

Quick background on me. I always wanted a motorcycle since my uncle sat me down on his back when I was probably around 8, went for a ride shortly after and always was intrigued at bike and car shows. I came from, what most people say as lower class or lower middle class. Single mom, raising two kids, never had anyone to really teach me anything about wrenching. Until my step father came into my life many years later, he is the only one that has ever really tought me anything, but I am no "wrencher" but I attempt everything myself first. The whole purpose of this paragraph, was to show that I could never afford a bike, until I deployed to Iraq and I saved my money for 2007 HD Softail Night Train. I didnt want any other, although, I would have been happy with a Honda Shadow. I too, dont have anything against any other brand rider. So did I buy my "biker" status, I dont think so.

"To me, there are no catagories"
I agree 100%, but there is always people judging others on what they wear. Or because I have tattoos. I really dont care what brand of motorcycle anyone has.

""I am saying that putting on a do-rag on the weekends and hoping on your H-D doesn't make you a biker."
I was in Laconia this past year with my girlfriend, and had the 50 something year old guy, with jeans, leather boots, black HD shirt, and a black leather vest with 25 run pins on it, and of course, the typical bandana doo rag set up. He came over to me and my girl as we were buying a drink and said "can i take a picture of you guys, your girl is gorgeous and you guys dont look like you are at a biker event." With that statement I got kind of pissed off at the judgement, as I was wearing exactly what I rode in, jeans, plaid button down shirt, with some black airwalks . For some reason, it really bothered me that he said it but I took it in stride and as we walked I was like "wtf, do i not belong here?" As I sat there and thought about it, and a great point by my girl was...I know im only 30, so my style of dress is obviously different, but I dont dress any different when I ride my motorcycle than when Im off my bike, I just dress like myself, all the time, I dont costume up. Only thing I add to my clothes, is a riding jacket and sunglasses. After expressing that I was little weirded out by the comment, the point was made that "you are more like them than they think. You fought in war, came back and got something that you always wanted and love to do. You like working on it and fixing things. You just dont wear the typical "im trying to be a biker" clothes."

So to sum it up, this is my shortened version of my entire story...I own and RIDE my motorcycle. I have done 5,000 miles my first year, and on my way to 5,000 more this year, ride everyday that I can, not just on weekend. I think I do ok for less than 2 years in a crappy climate with only a good 3-4 months of riding each year (I am in Connecticut). I have packed for 3 days of riding and loved every second of it. Riding through Arizona with my buddy a month after getting back from Iraq, made me feel so free, and yes hot, but I loved every second of that..until we stopped.

People can call me a "biker" or not, I really dont care. If you dont like that I will never wear a leather vest (unless I join an MC), then your view is askew. I don't need a costume or "only riding jeans" to know that I love motorcycles. I also wear boots, but I also wear them when not riding my motorcycle. I attempt to get every tool I can afford or borrow to do all my own work that I can. Buddy system works great.

So there I am, ready to be ripped apart by the forum members!

Attached is a pic for the 3 day trip...it only rained for 2 days. Back before I did all my upgrades

Attached Thumbnails Did you buy your biker stripes, or earn it?-mine-with-luggage.jpg  

Last edited by jknowlton; 08-13-2009 at 03:28 PM.
Old 08-13-2009, 03:32 PM
oldgeezer
Grand HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The thread is too long. What's the short version?

Old 08-13-2009, 03:32 PM
flibuoy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Smile

OK OK I give up...I am a yuppie poser for sure because I bought my bike...I always wondered if I was...I feel better now having gotten that off my chest. At 31...we have something in common then because I started riding the year you were born ol' sage...and I didn't buy that one...I traded a tape recorder that didn't work for it. OK OK you got me again...once I start confessing I can't seem to stop...I don't have any tattoos either. I don't live out of my duffle...I did for awhile during 11 years in the military...I have a condo and unlike you I would prefer not to sleep under a table in a rest area if it rains. I am a wuss. I have a puppy and it's collar is not studded. Stop me, I feel like I am giving witness in a Baptist Church here...make me stop. My wife rides too....we bought that one too and she doesn't work on it...

Wait...sorry Cy I meant to just ask what your post was about. Do you love to hate us or hate to love us?

Old 08-13-2009, 03:37 PM
mke125125
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

jknowlton-I agree with you 100%. the dudes in their biker costumes that gather at the dealer on sat. morn to stand around and drink coffee and b.s kill me. Ive had a bike of some sort since I was 8 (thats THIRTY YEARS. DAMN!) anyway ive never felt the need to dress a certain way or hang with a certain crowd. I love my h.d and could give two chits what anybody else thinks about it. THANKS FOR THE SERVICE BRO!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Did you buy your biker stripes, or earn it?