The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Did you buy your biker stripes, or earn it?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 05:25 PM
Cheesecake
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by C. Numb
You noted the Victory bashing going on here. I am just wondering if how many non-Harley sites have you gone to posting similar threads, lamenting the Harley bashing?
I was at a multi-brand dealership last week getting my wife's Spyders computer updated...
I'm waiting in the showroom near the Victory's... two guys start talking to me about what a POS Harley's are and how great the Vic's are...
I didn't say much... they had no idea who I was or why I was there....
This went on for about 15 min or so...
Then one decided to ask me why I was there... told them about the wifes bike.. he then asked me what I rode... so I told them...
I think their blood pressure went up 100 pts....

He then asked why.....
I calmly told them that I could buy anything I wanted, and that I would rather have an original... then a copy...

all of a sudden they needed to get going...
I told them to be safe... reached out my had for a shake... but they were already hightailing it to the door...

IMO most non-Harley riders have bigger issues with us... then us with them

BTW I have been riding since I was 13...this is my 3rd HD... and I have owned 6 import bikes... all with redeeming qualities

CC

Old 08-13-2009, 06:09 PM
stupid_rope
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

My first bike was an import; still have it, actually. Love wrenching and riding my Harley so thats what i prefer.

When I PCS'd to Washington from Korea in February I had to ride my Suzuki to and from work in the freezing WA rain. I couldn't afford a car. Whether I 'qualify' as a biker to some doesn't matter to me but the experience made me appreciate life a lot more.

The t-shirt sniff test is the way to go

And to the OP: I get frustrated too and I feel where you're coming from. I rarely go to the dealership unless I need parts...i do enjoy the smug look I get for driving my truck from the 'bikers' sitting around outside. Sorry but I don't have saddle bags and 4 qts and a filter don't fit in my fork bag.

I've come to the realization that it's easier for me to laugh at them and keep my distance and just do my own thing. I don't like the **** with the 6-figure jobs who look at me funny for being in a tshirt, jeans, and sneaks but in the end they can all blow me.

Old 08-13-2009, 06:29 PM
aviator
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by oldgeezer
The thread is too long. What's the short version?
Reader's Condensed Version:

are you a ***** rider that bought a new bike... or are you a homeless rider that picked up pieces in the ditch, then built your own?

Old 08-13-2009, 06:45 PM
PewterHeritage
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does it really matter that much? If they are a "poser" or a "biker...I really don't care too much, as long as you don't act like a tool to me...LETS RIDE!!! I ride whenever the weather allows, only been riding 2 years, had a 1985 Honda VT700C as my learning bike for a year before graduating to a bike I really wanted. I bought a Harley because I wanted a Harley...not to try and be someone I'm not. I guess I "bought" my way in...oh well, I'm making the payments and can give 2 flying s**ts what anyone thinks/says.

Old 08-13-2009, 06:50 PM
harleyflyboy
Road Warrior
Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

Good lord, did you guys forget to take your Ritalin this morning? I started riding in 1966 and have owned all kinds of motorcycles, currently on my third Harley, so I don't have a clue what that makes me, poser or biker, nor do I care.

Old 08-13-2009, 06:52 PM
mpmillion
Tourer
Default Always wanted one could finally afford one

Spent years wanting a bike and was telling my wife about some custom bikes from Redneck Eng and other places. This was while I was deployed. My wife said it had to be a harley because that is what she grew up riding. Get back and pick up a new 08 Custom and am loving it. Went from going on short trips just to hang out to being my everyday ride. Started taking it apart to run own internal wiring and just to see how everything worked. Changed a few things that I got off the DIY forum and some other things I thought of. I drive into work (the Army) extra early so that I can change into my P.T. uniform. Bring a bag with the extra uniform and hygene (sp?) kit in it so that I go from PT straight to first formation. I'm constantly having to ride on gravel in order to get to work. I started to realize how dirty my bike always is and it really doesn't bother me. I'll give it a good once over every week or two other than that I just make sure it is not rusting out any bolts anywhere. I do not expect it to win anything just to get me where I'm going whenever I need to go.
Did I start as a poser?? Yep...probably. Am I still one?? Yep...probably. I think that the reality is that not many people need to resort to some of the extreme McGyver fixes we used to hear about. All bikes today are just made better.
I take back the poser part. You ride your ride the way you want to ride it. If you are riding it to impress someone else then IMHO you need to reevaluate why you bought the bike. Than again....thats just my opinion.

Old 08-13-2009, 07:09 PM
Honey-Badger
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 402 Likes on 268 Posts

Is there a hair across your assless chaps?

Old 08-13-2009, 07:16 PM
Wardey
Intermediate

Originally Posted by aviator

are you a ***** rider that bought a new bike... or are you a homeless rider that picked up pieces in the ditch, then built your own?

LOL !!! Dave

Old 08-13-2009, 07:19 PM
kkinderen
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I'm a Really Cool Dude

I'm a multi-millionaire. I got all my money by helping that Nigerian gentleman on the Internet cash a $10 billion check. He let me keep 10%. Everyone else in the world thought it was a scam. I'm so cool. I spent $250,000 (plus tax, title, tag and someone to trailer it home for me) on a really neat bike that OCC made just for me. There is so much chrome on it that I am able to spend most of my time looking at how cool I look when I trailer the bike to the local bike night up the street. The bike looks so cool that people walking by laugh with joy when they see it. I'm so cool looking around my bike that nobody dares come near me. I wear a really cool leather jacket and chaps. Chicks really dig it. I rode the Tail of the Dragon - in my F150 but I leaned into corners so it was kind of like being on the bike. I've had the bike for 3 years now. There's about 20 miles on it - mostly from going back and forth for oil changes. Actually, mostly from rolling it up and down the ramp of the trailer. It is getting a little old now so maybe it is time for a new one. I think that new Victory touring thingy looks really really neat. I may get that but I'll change all the badges to HD so it is cool. Or maybe I'll have a new custom built from one of those articles in Easy Rider or Iron Works or Motorcycle Consumer News. They are really neat. Oh... did I tell you about my boots? Snake skin. With studs and chains. Maybe I'll save that for another post.

I'm too sexy for my bike.

Oh I forgot. I'm using synthetic oil.

Last edited by kkinderen; 08-13-2009 at 07:21 PM. Reason: Forgot about the oil.
Old 08-13-2009, 07:19 PM
Honey-Badger
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 402 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by aviator

Quick Reply: Did you buy your biker stripes, or earn it?