The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Did you buy your biker stripes, or earn it?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 04:38 PM
Wardey
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmmmm....Let's see. I started riding a Honda 50 when I was 8 years old, moved up to a Honda XR 70, then to a Yamaha YZ80, started racing Motorcross, went to a Yamaha DT125, back down to another Yamaha YZ 80, raced again, then up to a Yamaha YZ125, then a Kawasaki 900, stopped riding a few years, then to a '93 Harley Nastalgia (sp)? "Cow Bike", a '01 Yamaha YZ250F (still ride), then a 2003 Harley VRod (still have) and now a 2009 Harley Rocker C. I had my son riding since he was 4 and is now a US Marine and riding a 2009 Nightster. I have turned my own wrenches, I have paid someone else to turn wrenches, I have been down, broke bones, numerous sprains and abrasions and I ride almost every day. Do I have any tats?, No. Do I share my wife, Hell No. Do I have long braided hair and a long beard, No. Well just a short beard. LOL. Do I stop and help others, Yes. Have I fixed chit by pulling something out of my azz, Yes. Do I have friends that do all the above, Yes. Does one of my best friends own a Tat shop (Lou's Tattoos), Yes. Am I a biker.....you GD right I am. By the way, I am 46 now. Dave

Last edited by Wardey; 08-13-2009 at 04:54 PM. Reason: Added some chit....
Old 08-13-2009, 04:50 PM
C. Numb
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I dont necessarily disagree with you. Personally, I dont bother myself with what other people do or think either. But I am curious about one thing. Go to any non-Harley forum and you would be hard pressed NOT to find at least some Harley bashing going on. It seems to be what bikers and..er...motorcycle enthusiasts do. You noted the Victory bashing going on here. I am just wondering if how many non-Harley sites have you gone to posting similar threads, lamenting the Harley bashing?

Old 08-13-2009, 04:51 PM
oldgeezer
Grand HDF Member

I ride my scoot because I enjoy it.
I build furniture because I enjoy it.
I run every day because I enjoy it.
I lift weights because I enjoy it.
I grow a garden because I enjoy it.

Am I a biker, woodworker, runner, weight lifter or gardener. Don't know and don't care. I do what I enjoy. Not trying to prove anything to anyone.

Old 08-13-2009, 04:53 PM
gaffney
Advanced

Since this is a thread based on opinion, I'd like to add my own. Well, here it goes...if you have to try to define what it is to be a biker, you're not a biker. There ya go, short and to the point.

Keep the rubber on the road.

Old 08-13-2009, 04:55 PM
Wardey
Intermediate

Originally Posted by oldgeezer
I ride my scoot because I enjoy it.
I build furniture because I enjoy it.
I run every day because I enjoy it.
I lift weights because I enjoy it.
I grow a garden because I enjoy it.

Am I a biker, woodworker, runner, weight lifter or gardener. Don't know and don't care. I do what I enjoy. Not trying to prove anything to anyone.

Amen Brother !!! Dave

Old 08-13-2009, 04:58 PM
Cheesecake
Outstanding HDF Member

I feel your pain!
I'm just a guy who likes to rides motorcycles....

CC

Old 08-13-2009, 05:04 PM
SalsaNChips
Tourer

Hmmm, to reply or not?

What the hell...

I am an IT CTI Applications Developer who sits at a computer all day programming web service interfaces in C# and IVR systems in a large call center. Total IT geek.

I make a good salary w/bonuses, stock options, nice 401K, investments, yada, yada. Slacks & golf shirt pretty much every day.

Yuppie Poser?

I also started riding in 1971 when I was 11 years old (go-karts and later, a Mini-Trail 50 which I WORKED FOR). Raced motocross every weekend from '74 to '78 (Honda Elsinore 125). Read every issue of "Dirt Bike" magazine I could get my hands on. Started with street bikes in '78 (Yamaha Enduro 250). Then a Honda 250 in '85, a Suzuki 650 in '87, some Kawasaki which doesn't really count, a Yamaha 450 in '96, a HD Sportster in '07 and a scary fast SE HD Softail in '09. Yes, I've been broke down on the side of the road (hitched rides with some very entertaining people). Yes, I wrench my own bike when possible. I also ride the $hit out of them.

So, point is, by first impression, while I might seem to be a "yuppie poser", there's more to the story and yes, I earned every damn one of my "biker stripes" (thank you very much).

Old 08-13-2009, 05:05 PM
Joe What
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, I guess if you ride a bike (motorcycle) you are a biker... Now... I dont think that I have to had slept on the side of the road or spent an hour kick starting my bike to become a self proclaimed biker... I know many 1% that dont even have a bike but not by choice.... Lets be honest if you could ride a new bike without the worries of it breaking down you would.... If you could stay at decent hotel while on the road instead on a bed mat and bag you would...

I spent 22 years in the Army and just because I spent many of nights under the stars did not make me hardcore or that is the preferred method of having a good time it was the circumstances I found myself in...

I think there is confusion between having to do something and choicing to do something so please take a step back and check yourself.. For everyone has a distinct version of what a true biker is, or bro you need to stop watching tv...

Old 08-13-2009, 05:10 PM
0069fatboy
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you buy your biker stripes, or earn it?

What are biker stripes and who cares?? What do you mean earn it?? Are you looking for respect?? Respect is earned by your actions. Sleeping on the side of the road deserves respect?? I'm confused....

Old 08-13-2009, 05:23 PM
Z06_Pilot
Tourer

wow, this thread and others like it got me revved up.....

did I "buy" my way into my Harley? yep sure did, paid cash money for all 3 of them. I've never fixed anything motorized on the side of the road or anywhere else....that's what AAA is for. the HD dealer does all my maintenance.

Am I a yuppie, or DINK, or whatever people call them now? yep, sure am, and I'm lovin' life.

Only mechanical work I do is my brakes and wheels when taking my car to the track. otherwise, I'm a keyboard geek designing communications networks.

do I trailer our bikes? sure do. Instead of riding 2 hours on boring interstate each way, I'd rather trailer the bikes to the best twisty roads in Ohio(on the eastern side of the state), spend 5 hours running the hell out of them, then drive back in comfort with the bikes securely enclosed behind my SUV.

I didn't buy a Harley because it's a Harley. it fit me best, handled better than anything I tried, had the highest quality chrome and components/fit-finish of any production cruiser out there that I looked at. Do I appreciate the history? absolutely.

do I buy Harley gear? sure do. they have the best quality and most usable/ergonomic leather and mesh jackets that I have found, and I have looked at plenty. Their boots are comfortable, built for riding and stand up to abuse.

I don't do bike nights, or organized rides of any type, just not my style...I pick my own roads and ride at my own speed. Have never been to a bike show and don't plan on going to one.

Am I a "poser"? don't think so. I put 20k miles on my Custom this past year, and not cruising the boulevard. Mostly 2 lane country roads-the more curves the better-if it's daylight, not raining, and I'm not working, I'm on the bike somewhere. even when it was 30 degrees in February.

so, basically I am saying there are a million different "types" of riders and a million different ways we got into riding. I have never understood why there is a line of thinking that you have to scrape and save, and go through 10 cheap/crappy bikes that you constantly have to fix, before you are allowed to buy a Harley and be considered "a biker", and to truly appreciate it. If that's the road you took, you have my utmost respect and admiration. you set a goal and did whatever it took to achieve it.

I think I feel the independence, non-conformance, exhiliration, and sense of control, just as much as anyone who had to "earn" their bike.

I had to earn my degree, and earn my place in my career, and earn the affection and respect of my wife. I bought the motorcycle.......

Quick Reply: Did you buy your biker stripes, or earn it?