The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Did you buy your biker stripes, or earn it?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 03:43 PM
Chazmanian
R.I.P. BROTHER
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

jknowltonSo there I am, ready to be ripped apart by the forum members!

I'm ready to join my boy J for a ripping as well!

Got my first bike back in 1979...An RM80.

I rode and raced MX only and soon as I was old enough to ride on the street? Meaning I had no license, no registration, no ins...I started buy street bikes.

I lived in Cali so my primary goal was to buy one with some time left on the tag!

This had me on everything from an XL185 to an RD400 to a beater silverwing!

I spent a few nights in Juvie behind riding without a License..... I finally joined the military and got my License when I got outta boot camp. I remeber going home on leave and having 5 traffic warrants to clear up. Showed the Judge my Military ID and the guy dismissed em all.

I have always owned a bike of some sort since 1979....I dont do Dope, Tassles, tattoo's, Leather customes, long hair (I have none!), Rest stops, or any of the other "Biker Guy Stuff"...Unless you count doing a year in the joint a while back for habitual traffic offender "Bikerish"?

This is my second Harley. My first one leaked oil, smoked, broke down a bit and was pretty cool. This one has EFI and starts everyday. I changed as much stuff on it as my budget and patience would allow...I'm still not done.

I ride everywhere I go unless its pouring rain, below 40 degrees or icy.

I generally wear Dickies and Converse high tops with a Biltwell low brow helmet and greasy Tee shirts that pass the sniff test.

If its cold I wear jeans and real boots.

I paid cash for my turd from a fellow member.....I added a slew of crap on my American Express card for Business card though!!

I dont consider myself a "Biker" per se. I consider myself a conissuer of fine machinery!!

I feel I have earned my own flavour of stripes....Conissuer stripes!!

Last edited by Chazmanian; 08-13-2009 at 03:47 PM.
Old 08-13-2009, 03:45 PM
jknowlton
Road Master

Originally Posted by Chazmanian
Got my first bike back in 1979...An RM80.

I rode and raced MX only and soon as I was old enough to ride on the street? Meaning I had no license, no registration, no ins...I started buy street bikes.

I lived in Cali so my primary goal was to buy one with some time left on the tag!

This had me on everything from an XL185 to an RD400 to a beater silverwing!

I spent a few nights in Juvie behind riding without a License..... I finally joined the military and got my License when I got outta boot camp. I remeber going home on leave and having 5 traffic warrants to clear up. Showed the Judge my Military ID and the guy dismissed em all.

I have always owned a bike of some sort since 1979....I dont do Dope, Tassles, tattoo's, Leather customes, long hair (I have none!), Rest stops, or any of the other "Biker Guy Stuff"...Unless you count doing a year in the joint a while back for habitual traffic offender "Bikerish"?

This is my second Harley. My first one leaked oil, smoked, broke down a bit and was pretty cool. This one has EFI and starts everyday. I changed as much stuff on it as my budget and patience would allow...I'm still not done.

I ride everywhere I go unless its pouring rain, below 40 degrees or icy.

I generally wear Dickies and Converse high tops with a Biltwell low brow helmet and greasy Tee shirts that pass the sniff test.

If its cold I wear jeans and real boots.

I paid cash for my turd from a fellow member.....I added a slew of crap on my American Express card for Business card though!!

I dont consider myself a "Biker" per se. I consider myself a conissuer of fine machinery!!

I feel I have earned my stripes....Conissuer stripes!!
I always enjoy CHAZMANIAN posts, and I dig your riding style of dickies, converse high tops, the biltwell and the sniff test shirts! lol. Whats next on your mod list?

PS. Thanks for your service

Old 08-13-2009, 03:55 PM
Chazmanian
R.I.P. BROTHER

Slammed front end!!

Got a set of -2 under fork tubes to go with my 2" progressive lowering kit thats already in the bike.

Bought a set of those rich biker guy billet fork boot covers and had my local powdercoater do em in black....Or should I say he tryed to do them in black!!

Now my next mod is on hold until the powdercoater can PC the derned things without fvcking them all up.

Not all powder is good powder!!

If he dosent have em done by the end of the week I'm gonna send them to that dude in the Dyna section....That powdercoating guru dude!

Old 08-13-2009, 03:58 PM
Bluegrasser
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm a poser RUB. I took the MSF BRC at 36 and bought my first bike--my FLHR--a few months later. It took me that long to be able to afford it. I grew up poor, spent six years in the Navy, five years in college (on my own dime), an another half dozen years in my engineering career working my way up. I may not be a real biker, but I sure as F**K earned my bike.

Old 08-13-2009, 04:03 PM
knukcowboy
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1st thing, i luv the guys that buy a new harley and all the gear then
use it once or twice a summer. i used to guide in the mountains (backcountry
trips on horseback) and i've always luv'd dudes (greenhorns, wannabes,w.e.)
cause they r fun. they just out for a good time plus when they think ther stuff
is old n busted (somthin new came out) they sell ther stuff to cheap poor bastards
like me fir cheep
2nd i agree with u cyp in that sum here r very quick to talk crap b4 anyone can
get a answer bout anythin from helmets to tires but das how these forums roll
its like grade school, that said i mostly look at the pos side and am entertained
by it

Old 08-13-2009, 04:11 PM
Cyphilis
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To the guys that see my point, and have their own as well, right on man its cool. To the guys that don't get it,.. yeah, you probably never will.
To clarify, I was never homeless. I've always had a roof over my head in some fashion. I was sharing experiences on what I consider the truest thing to a real freedom bike trip. One where you don't get on mapquest and plan your trips around what hotels you can book. One where you get on your bike, gas er up and go.. with just a destination in mind. That is something I think a lot of people NEED to experience. Driving your 2010 bike from dealership to dealership collecting shirts is only a tip of the iceburg.. get out there a really live!

Chazmanian.. thats a kick *** bike man.. right up my alley. Blacked out n bad ***!

Last edited by Cyphilis; 08-13-2009 at 04:14 PM.
Old 08-13-2009, 04:12 PM
crashin
Road Captain
Received 16 Likes on 2 Posts

I fit your target generalization to a point. I grew up in a "biker" family. My Dad sold his bikes when my brother and I were born so he could pay bills, but my uncles and aunts still rode. We were pretty much on the poor side, but my Dad scraped up a couple hundred buck to buy my brother and I a Kawasaki KDX 80 when I was about 10. We rode the hell out of that thing. Broke it, fixed it, and kept going till we were too big for it.

I drove cars out of convenience and the impression that the motorcycle I wanted was too expensive to attain. I served in the Marine Corps and took to heart some folks who told me it was better to work smarter not harder.

When I got out I started a decent career in IT. I bought my first bike for myself at 22 years old, brand new off the showroom floor a 1200 Sportster.

First thing I rode it over to show one of my role models who I knew would be proud of my choice. My Uncle Buddy ripped it up an down. "Awe you got a girl's bike. Look it even has a pu$$y button."" In the end he taught me a lot about riding. About what it means to be a "biker" Whether I am one or not.

I ride for me. I like to ride with like minded people I don't care what brand is on the tank or what kind of motor it has. I wish I had time to take long trips, but with my chosen lifestyle that takes some planning. I have worked on my Sporty for 8 years. Some of my mods are not perfect it still needs quite a few things, but I have done all but one fluid change. I learned lessons from old school folks around me and from my own experiences. I learned a lesson from my old man. I bought my bike and worked my *** off so that when I my son arrived I had enough resources to keep it. In fact, I added a new one this year. I bought it off the show room floor as well.

Like the OP stated, if I could afford it I would ride and let someone else do the dirty work, but I can't I still work for a living even if I'm not scraping together parts. I don't know if I feel like a biker. I don't try to dress like one, but if I ever go down in an accident the newspapers will likely call me by that name.

Old 08-13-2009, 04:22 PM
Cyphilis
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by crashin
I don't try to dress like one, but if I ever go down in an accident the newspapers will likely call me by that name.
I like that, good point. If someday that were the way I went.. everyone would all say its because I refuse to wear a helmet. Nothing would be mentioned about all the close calls, and miracle saves I did over the years avoiding people in cars. It would all be blamed on the stupid dude with no helmet.

Old 08-13-2009, 04:25 PM
Spartaman
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess I'm not a real biker either: that makes me a yuppie!!!

I'm 38, married, a father of 2 young children, own a successful manufacturing company, and work my a$$ off for my money. I have only recently (2 years ago) decided that I would like to ride bikes because almost all of my entire extended family had gotten into it including my 60 year old father.

I have limited time to ride, but do so when I can. I have the means to buy whatever bike I want, and whatever accessories to go with it. I'm slowly learning the mechanical aspects that go along with it because I enjoy it. I've only logged around 6000 miles on the bike in my two years of owning it, but I live in Canada. I've been to Bike Week in 2008 (missed 2009 because I was sick) and Americaide 2009.

I love to ride. I don't care what anyone else is riding. If that person enjoys it, all the power to them!!

Old 08-13-2009, 04:37 PM
Chazmanian
R.I.P. BROTHER

Originally Posted by Cyphilis
Chazmanian.. thats a kick *** bike man.. right up my alley. Blacked out n bad ***!
I was thinking as I read this thread....

I had some bread saved up and was ready for another Harley as my off road riding is beating my wrists and knees to straight sheet.

I had enough cash in fist to walk into the dealer and buy a new whatever...

Instead I searched around til' I found a few year old bike with the old school narrower *** end and a price low enough to have me some bread left to fvck with it in my garage for the next year....

I kinda liked the whole homeless rest stop sleeping bag biker story...it had a cool ring to it?

I bought my kid a car the other day. Think I was drunk last summer and told him as soon as he could pull off a 3.5 GPA in high schol I would get him one of those creepy little fart can exhuast import cars he wanted so damned bad. Little guy nailed me on it all last year and now as a senior is rolling with a license, insurance and a sense of legitamacy I never had as a kid!

I chewed his *** for the next 3 days as I told him he was a spoiled lil' fvck and he really had no skin in the game as he aint really worked a day in his life short of tricking them teachers into those good grades....

Told him I would repo it if he wasnt flipping a burger or rolling a Taco by months end.

I'm actually still mad about it. The little guy caught me at a weak moment. I made him spend the day waxing the car in the hot *** sun as i chewed his *** about being shiftless, spoiled and weak. Even that didnt make me feel better for being that guy who buys his spoiled kids chit they havent earned...

Fvck I think I'm becoming "One of them" Dammit!!

Quick Reply: Did you buy your biker stripes, or earn it?