The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Did you buy your biker stripes, or earn it?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2009, 07:46 AM
pottsy
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ryeguy7
Wow you are 31 and you would have considered yourself a "biker" 10-15 years ago? Buddy you are confusing biker with kid. At 16 I am sure you were no "biker" It amazes me that you consider a biker someone with an unreliable bike that needs fixing on the side of the road all of the time, that's a mechanic with a crappy bike. I am pretty sure everyone became a biker the same way, by going out and buy one. If anything you become a biker by riding one not fixing one.
You make some good points. Unless a person happens to steal their first bike, and not get caught, how else to you get a bike aside from buying one? And what is wrong with buying one from the dealer?

Old 08-15-2009, 08:02 AM
06Fatboy_CT
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just read the first page, but I agree and like what the OP said.

I hate the douches on harleys that when I ride by on my gixxer and wave, they do jack ****, give me a dirty look, or I've gotten the, Get a real bike. Two wheels is two wheels bro.

And the people who just bought a harley to buy into "Being a badass" kinda attitude. I hate that. My dad has a friend like that, which I hate. The guy is late 40's. Just bought a harley, and suddenly he's a real rider. Wears the leather do rag, jacket and ****. And he can't ride for anything. Gas on and off through turns, one of those guys that RIPS first and second then slows down to nothing cause a turn came up. Hate those guys, that's what makes being on the road unsafe for others.
Another one I saw yesterday was a guy in a polo, khaki shorts, and boat shoes with a full bagger, and walked it about 20 feet to the stop sign. I hate those dudes.

Old 08-15-2009, 08:27 AM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

This was posted by one of our Forum members a year or so ago.....

Can't remember offhand who it was (to give credit), but no matter if you agree or disagree I found it to be interesting;

Todays Average Biker:

Wears pre-sewn do-rag. Is adorned in Oakley sunglasses (even in the dark). Has very little facial hair. Has a new, black leather vest embossed with Harley-Davidson and new patches sewn on it, at least one of them with an obscene statement. You ask him why he wears a vest and he will have trouble coming up with a good reason. His T-Shirt will be from a dealership (usually out of state). He will be wearing either designer jeans or "Biker Blues" and they will be 'loose fit'. If he is wearing boots they will be Genuine Harley Boots but more likely white tennis shoes. He will have a cell phone on his belt or a hands free ear piece connected to his cell phone. His wife or girlfriend will be riding her own bike. If he encounters an altercation he will most likely call 911 and then his lawyer about suing.

Old School Bikers:

He wears a $1 bandanna tied around his head to keep the bugs out of his hair and for a little cushion against that 60MPH June Bug. His shades are either prescription or under $10. Beards range from mustaches or goatees to the full blown Grizzly Adams, but he will have facial hair, especially in the colder weather. He may wear a vest also, leather or denim, and there will probably be some pins or patches on it but they are probably mementos given to him from other brothers. Ask him why he wears it and he will tell you that it's just right for breaking the cold from your body without binding your arms on the apes (and it has a very nice pocket for packin'). His jeans will be gold tag Levis or cowboy cut Wranglers. Footwear will be engineer style, lace up boots or cowboy boots for dress up. If he has a cell phone it's probably someone elses but always kept out of sight. His Ole Lady rides on the rear seat (or fender) behind him. If someone gets in his face, watch his hands because it's on. He believes in an eye for an eye, an ear for an ear but he won't bother dropping a dime because even if the law does show up... it will be too late.

Old 08-15-2009, 11:09 AM
Deadbroke_bootleg
Tourer

I am 34 and have been riding all different types of bikes since i was 8. Never been a full patch holder of any kind, but have ridden with some. My harley is the only vehicle i own so it is always in use rain or shine and occasionally snow. I do wear a vest with some flash patches on it and no one, i mean NO ONE has ever givin me any crap about it except for people on the internet.
So am i a biker, a wanna be, a rub or just a moron?
You can say what you want but DILLIGAF?

Old 08-15-2009, 11:12 AM
Deadbroke_bootleg
Tourer

Oh and yes i did buy my first harley from the dealership and believe me i work hard for it cause it was financed.

Old 08-15-2009, 11:29 AM
Deadbroke_bootleg
Tourer

I am just saying, incase my post sounds like whining that i dont call anyone names because of what they where, what kind of bike they ride etc. Just be rightcheous.
And do what you love

Old 08-15-2009, 11:40 AM
Shaved Ice
Road Warrior
Received 55 Likes on 46 Posts

Earned them...and I don't feel the need to quantify my answer to someone who is obviously just trying to prove he is more of a biker than most.

Last edited by Shaved Ice; 08-15-2009 at 12:17 PM.
Old 08-15-2009, 12:01 PM
Deadbroke_bootleg
Tourer

Some may say i earned them, some may say i bought them, for those that judge without a bike, hey at least i got them

Old 08-15-2009, 12:59 PM
pottsy
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Deadbroke_bootleg
I am just saying, incase my post sounds like whining that i dont call anyone names because of what they where, what kind of bike they ride etc. Just be rightcheous.
And do what you love
My only criticism of you, is learn to use the edit button. j/k

Old 08-15-2009, 02:35 PM
Deadbroke_bootleg
Tourer

Originally Posted by pottsy
My only criticism of you, is learn to use the edit button. j/k
I know i know. And i would like to also say that huked un fonikz wurkd fer me!

Quick Reply: Did you buy your biker stripes, or earn it?