The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cyclists

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 10:05 PM
Fear Night
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cyclists

For the longest time I've had respect for road cyclists. They put on their tights and get out on their Tour De France replica bikes, then fight to stay alive with cars flooring it past them and trying to run them off the road. That time is over for me ...

I pulled out onto a highway, 4 lane, 65mph speed limit. I'm cruising at about 70mph and up in the distance I see two bicyclists side by side taking up the whole right lane. There are multiple cars to my left and behind me. I literally have to slow down to 10-15mph and wait for a spot to gun it with cars blowing by me at 70+mph.

These idiots were purposefully taking up an entire lane on a 65mph highway! That's higher speed than the Interstates around here (60mph) which bikes are prohibited from. They had a full emergency lane OFF the highway to pedal on if they chose. Definitely don't care one bit for cyclists anymore.

Last edited by Fear Night; 08-09-2009 at 10:08 PM.
Old 08-09-2009, 10:38 PM
gpershall
Advanced

Sounds like they were riding pretty smart to me. Ride in the breakdown lane..... ok but you'll have a flat in about 10 ft. from all the broken beer bottles.... Ride one behind the other ... ok but someone will immediately try and squeeze by and smack you with their rear view mirror... Ask me how I know!!

They were following the law to the letter. Remember whether you like it or not bikes have the same rights as a car... Did the slowdown of 10-20 seconds to get around them ruin your day?

Not trying to start an argument... just responding from a bicyclist's point of view.

A bicyclist of 30 yrs and harley owner of about the same.

Old 08-10-2009, 05:50 AM
Fear Night
Tourer

Well, what gets me is that they can't hop on a 60mph interstate and hog the right lane, but a 65mph highway is game? Also, it's not the time inconvenience that made me mad, it's the fact that they put me (and the person following me) in danger. We were forced to merge in with cars going over 70mph while doing 10mph. Interstates have a minimum merge speed for a reason.

I also don't buy the flat tire thing, if you are poking along at 10mph you can see and avoid hazards in the emergency lane ...

Last edited by Fear Night; 08-10-2009 at 05:56 AM.
Old 08-10-2009, 06:23 AM
Ratster
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The county I live in has spent millions on bike paths and bike lanes on certain roads where I live. These paths and lanes are real nice and very accommodating, yet local cyclists insist on riding side by side (which is not legal) on busy 2 lane roads that become very busy during commuting hours and weekends. Then they bitch.

Well, now the county where I live is considering banning bicycles on any two lane county roads period. I say "GOOD". I hope they do it. Until local and or state governments start applying registration fees to bicycles to help pay their fair share, they shouldn't have any "special considerations" anyway. I think it's stupid to give them the right to ride side by side in any circumstance where they cannot keep up with the flow of traffic.

I like bicycling myself. However like with anything else, you have a few that ruin it for others because they think they are above everyone else.

Old 08-10-2009, 06:30 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,077 Likes on 3,641 Posts

Some cyclists are asses, they push the law a bit too far... I too have run up on some buttheads that woun't move out of the way...I know they have some rights but a bit of respect goes a long way too.

Old 08-10-2009, 06:35 AM
HDUltraRider
Banned

Hey I don't care either way it great that they are out doing something healthy and staying fit to each as own, but I can tell you not only I but my buddy riding with me found it very interesting back in March when I had my accident there I was lying flat on my back in the middle of the highway, there must have been a bicyclist rally or something as there were tons of cyclist going in each direction and I have to say NOT ONE OF THEM STOPPED.

Old 08-10-2009, 06:54 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by gpershall
Sounds like they were riding pretty smart to me. Ride in the breakdown lane..... ok but you'll have a flat in about 10 ft. from all the broken beer bottles.... Ride one behind the other ... ok but someone will immediately try and squeeze by and smack you with their rear view mirror... Ask me how I know!!

They were following the law to the letter. Remember whether you like it or not bikes have the same rights as a car... Did the slowdown of 10-20 seconds to get around them ruin your day?

Not trying to start an argument... just responding from a bicyclist's point of view.

A bicyclist of 30 yrs and harley owner of about the same.
I drive a bucket truck on average 200 miles per day and expected a response like this.In my part of the NorthEast our roads lack breakdown lanes and rarely have straight stretches and very hilly,makes passing very difficult.The worst part is when travelling the speed limits cresting a hill or around a turn and there is a bicyclist in the lane making a pileup very real.We all know the rules but as far as I am concerned that is ridiculous to put so many people at risk.A lot of you pedal pushers do not seem to care,especially as busy as the roads are today,not to mention during tourist season.

Last edited by dog155; 08-10-2009 at 06:58 AM.
Old 08-10-2009, 07:11 AM
Roosterboots
"Utopian Overlord"
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Roo's approach:

1. Loud pipes
2. Air horns
3. Pull up next to the lead biker and start a conversation, trying EVER SO DESPERATELY to maintain con...Con..CONTROL... of your own wobbly machine.

Remember, it's not that cyclists won't stop. They're in the middle of a workout routine and if they stop they have to start all over again. Therefore, the most effective topic of conversation in #3 (above) is "Say, dude, look's like you dropped your thingy back there...don't know what it's called, but it looked important."

The second most effective approach is, "Did you know that your *** wiggles back and forth enticingly when you're pushing REALLY HARD?!?" (and smile demurely)

Old 08-10-2009, 07:36 AM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Think that's bad try riding in Amish country with the horse and buggies. Or course, can't say I've ever seen them on an Interstate.

Old 08-10-2009, 07:57 AM
CrackOfDawn
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Fear Night
For the longest time I've had respect for road cyclists. They put on their tights and get out on their Tour De France replica bikes, then fight to stay alive with cars flooring it past them and trying to run them off the road. That time is over for me ...

I pulled out onto a highway, 4 lane, 65mph speed limit. I'm cruising at about 70mph and up in the distance I see two bicyclists side by side taking up the whole right lane. There are multiple cars to my left and behind me. I literally have to slow down to 10-15mph and wait for a spot to gun it with cars blowing by me at 70+mph.

These idiots were purposefully taking up an entire lane on a 65mph highway! That's higher speed than the Interstates around here (60mph) which bikes are prohibited from. They had a full emergency lane OFF the highway to pedal on if they chose. Definitely don't care one bit for cyclists anymore.
There is no way bicycles should be allowed on any road that has a speed limit over 55, especially a 4 lane that has those kinds of speed limits. I would certainly bring up that situation to your department of transportation. Most roads with speed limits over 55 have notices “Motor Vehicles Only” posted at entry points. Obviously, there are 4 lanes in areas that are not “highways” and that is ok. Hogging the road on a bicycle is not allowed by the law. Pa law says you can ride side by side (2 max) but have to use the right part of the lane unless turning left, or where you need to move left, like when the berm is not appropriate. Debris is considered to be a hazard, even for bicycles. Does not sound like it was an excuse in this situation though. Don’t know about Alabama, but I would think that laws would be fairly similar.

You are stating how pissed you are about these two bikers putting you and your buddy in a danger. Well, I don’t know how much we can take that to heart when you state openly in this forum that you ride like a bat out of hell, and I quote from one of your posts((Theoretical? No, I shift there regularly (i.e. I ride like a bat out of hell). I'm young and stupid, what can I say ... )). You were referencing shifting into 5th at 90mph. Well, I would say that seems a little hypocritical of you. Because riding like that on public roads puts everyone at danger. So what makes you any different?

It would seem that you may be giving motorcyclists a bad name, just like these two asstards were give bicyclists a bad name.

I am an avid cyclists, motor and leg powered. I do not agree with what you claim these two rejects were doing, because it would obviously be wrong. But don’t let a couple bone-heads cause you to react badly in the future to all bicyclists. And we should not hate every motorcyclist we come across in the future because you drive like an ***.

As to coming up on bicyclists, yes, there are times that it can be hairy! But how many people drive at least 5 or 10 mph over the speed limit almost all the time???? You are full of sheit if you say you don't. And if you drive within the speed limits, then you should not typically have a "situation" that you can not handle with ease. We live in a society. And if you choose to stay a part of it, you have the same laws as everyone else. If you want them changed, you know what to do.

Quick Reply: Cyclists