The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cyclists

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 07:22 AM
CrackOfDawn
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by faber
I once stopped by the Harley dealer to pay for my wife's bike's repairs when I was out on a road bike ride.

One guy there, some guy waiting for something, very embarrassed, asked me, "Um, dude, why do you have a maxi pad in your bike shorts.":icon_say what: I said, "Why are you so interested in what's in my shorts?" Every guy there just blew up laughing, and that guy turned red.

(bike shorts have a "chamois" in them to pad the boys a little)
That is funny - they do look like hell when you are off the bike! LOL.

Old 08-11-2009, 11:04 AM
justjohn
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by faber
I ride road bikes, too.

In addition to some of the same road hazards that motorcyclists deal with, you also get:

guys who like to blast their horn right next to you to see if you'll crash (going over your bars almost guarantees a broken collarbone, and the road rash......)

motorcyclists who like to pass you as closely as possible (and it usually ain't the sportbike riders.........just sayin')

drivers, angered that you made them slow down and wait to pass for 5-10 seconds throwing cigarettes or trash out their window at you as they finally pass

etc, etc., etc.

And, yes, the shoulder is full of debris that will flat you in no time. (When I ride, I'm cruising 18-22 mph, faster if I'm riding in a paceline--not a good speed for a flat.)

In my state, bicycles are not allowed on restricted-entry highways (interstates), which is probably a good thing. Horses aren't allowed on them either, but are fine on all other roads. On two-lane roads with 65+mph speed limits, experienced cyclists are more likely to ride two-abreast. Why? To be seen!

Surely, on our motorcycles we've all experienced near-accidents in which we just were not seen by drivers. Imagine how even less visible you are on a bike with tires that aren't even an inch thick.

The road is a rough place for everyone. Remember that everyone is trying to get to Point B as safely as possible.
They do that stuff to motorcycles as well, its hell out there

Old 08-12-2009, 01:32 PM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Roosterboots
Roo's approach:

1. Loud pipes
2. Air horns
3. Pull up next to the lead biker and start a conversation, trying EVER SO DESPERATELY to maintain con...Con..CONTROL... of your own wobbly machine.

Remember, it's not that cyclists won't stop. They're in the middle of a workout routine and if they stop they have to start all over again. Therefore, the most effective topic of conversation in #3 (above) is "Say, dude, look's like you dropped your thingy back there...don't know what it's called, but it looked important."

The second most effective approach is, "Did you know that your *** wiggles back and forth enticingly when you're pushing REALLY HARD?!?" (and smile demurely)
Roo, have I ever told you you're my hero?

Old 08-12-2009, 02:00 PM
supercrewser
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ratster
The county I live in has spent millions on bike paths and bike lanes on certain roads where I live. These paths and lanes are real nice and very accommodating, yet local cyclists insist on riding side by side (which is not legal) on busy 2 lane roads that become very busy during commuting hours and weekends. Then they bitch.

Well, now the county where I live is considering banning bicycles on any two lane county roads period. I say "GOOD". I hope they do it. Until local and or state governments start applying registration fees to bicycles to help pay their fair share, they shouldn't have any "special considerations" anyway. I think it's stupid to give them the right to ride side by side in any circumstance where they cannot keep up with the flow of traffic.

I like bicycling myself. However like with anything else, you have a few that ruin it for others because they think they are above everyone else.
I have to agree with that , they dont have to register or carry insurance so when one of them decide to jump out in traffic or cross a red light illegally theres no recourse or punishment , they have the same laws but get by with out obeying them. They cause traffic hazards and shouldnt be allowed on the road. JMHO.

Old 08-12-2009, 03:05 PM
redling36
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am a cyclist and a biker. I see how you could be aggravated but remember a cyclist has no protection and no horsepower. Cars and trucks always try to squeeze by and lots of cyclist are killed because people can't be patient. I personally would not have been riding on a road with a 60mph speed limit unless I had a bike lane or it was a country road with little to no traffic. However as a cyclist if you use the break down lane, a flat is certain withing minutes. So we are taught be law enforcement to ride a few feet into the lane of traffic to make sure you are seen and protect yourself. A good cyclist will learn to hear vehicles behind them and move to allow the vehicle to pass without severely impeding it. I don't think slowing for a bicycle should ruin your day. Slow down and breathe!

Old 08-13-2009, 06:09 PM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,132 Likes on 1,030 Posts

The only bicycle rider that I know is only 6 years old, and she only rides on the sidewalks in her neighborhood. ------ And I give her PLENTY of room!

Old 08-14-2009, 08:39 PM
capitalist_slave
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Around my city the cyclists stay on the shoulder.
Might be a Texas thing...
... it's very likely they'd end up beneath an F-350 if they pulled that two-abreast crap on a 5-lane road here.

On the country roads it's easy enough to avoid them if their isn't unusually heavy traffic.
Guess i give them credit for actually being outside getting exercise, BUT i also don't think public roads are meant for non-motorized toys that can't do the speed limit.

What's next... Roller Blades, Skateboards, and Pogo-sticks on the road..?!

Old 08-15-2009, 08:55 AM
SniperCJ
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I ride both. I get little respect on the motorcycle. I get none at all on the bike. Yes, some of it is our fault for running stops and such, especially when we're on a group ride. Nobody shuts down roads for us like in the Tour de France. But certainly, some of it is the fault of impatient motorists who get stuck behind us for *gasp* a few seconds.

Sorry, its called a ROAD bike, not a sidewalk bike. I'll try not to impede cars too much if youll just have a little patience.

And, no, I wouldnt have been riding on the 60mph road that started this post either.

Old 08-15-2009, 09:09 AM
faber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by justjohn
They do that stuff to motorcycles as well, its hell out there
It is hell out there. I ride my motorcycle like I'm invisible, as they say in the MSF course.

Maybe it's different around the country, but as I see it public roads are open to all. (except limited-access interstates/freeways--because there is always another alternative to those--those are for high-speed trough traffic, not local).

Where I live, farmers take their tractors on the roads (two-lane US routes and state hwys with 70mph limits), ranchers move cattle on them, people ride their horses, people take ATVs and sleds out there (most can't do over 50).........you don't see this stuff every day, but it's not uncommon.

Cyclists have a right to be out there, too.

Old 08-15-2009, 09:16 AM
faber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by supercrewser
I have to agree with that , they dont have to register or carry insurance so when one of them decide to jump out in traffic or cross a red light illegally theres no recourse or punishment , they have the same laws but get by with out obeying them. They cause traffic hazards and shouldnt be allowed on the road. JMHO.
Check your own state's law.

In most state's, a cyclist can be covered by their auto insurance, as the policy follows the policy-holder when operating on public roads. But, even in states where coverage is structured this way, the policy may still not cover. (Cyclists, check your policy.)

Ask me how I know.....