The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cyclists

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 10:15 AM
Classic Eagle
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I see bicycles up ahead, I start slowing down and looking for a passing time. They, Just like us have the same issues to deal with. Just at slower speeds. Give em a brake.

Old 08-10-2009, 10:24 AM
justjohn
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thats "Pedal Power" most of the ones I know are JERKS

Old 08-10-2009, 10:34 AM
Fear Night
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CrackOfDawn
Well, I would say that seems a little hypocritical of you. Because riding like that on public roads puts everyone at danger. So what makes you any different?
How do you know that was on a public road? What if I was at a drag strip? In any case, if I drive fast on the street, I'm only putting myself in danger. Cage vs. bike, cage wins every time. I wasn't forcing all traffic behind me to go 10mph in a 65mph zone.

Like you say, hardly anybody drives the speed limit anyway, which makes slow traffic even more dangerous. In a 65mph zone there could be people averaging anywhere from 70-80mph. I've never had a problem with cyclists on back roads where the speed limit is 35-45mph because the speed difference isn't as great.

Last edited by Fear Night; 08-10-2009 at 10:39 AM.
Old 08-10-2009, 10:35 AM
faber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I ride road bikes, too.

In addition to some of the same road hazards that motorcyclists deal with, you also get:

guys who like to blast their horn right next to you to see if you'll crash (going over your bars almost guarantees a broken collarbone, and the road rash......)

motorcyclists who like to pass you as closely as possible (and it usually ain't the sportbike riders.........just sayin')

drivers, angered that you made them slow down and wait to pass for 5-10 seconds throwing cigarettes or trash out their window at you as they finally pass

etc, etc., etc.

And, yes, the shoulder is full of debris that will flat you in no time. (When I ride, I'm cruising 18-22 mph, faster if I'm riding in a paceline--not a good speed for a flat.)

In my state, bicycles are not allowed on restricted-entry highways (interstates), which is probably a good thing. Horses aren't allowed on them either, but are fine on all other roads. On two-lane roads with 65+mph speed limits, experienced cyclists are more likely to ride two-abreast. Why? To be seen!

Surely, on our motorcycles we've all experienced near-accidents in which we just were not seen by drivers. Imagine how even less visible you are on a bike with tires that aren't even an inch thick.

The road is a rough place for everyone. Remember that everyone is trying to get to Point B as safely as possible.

Old 08-10-2009, 11:00 AM
CrackOfDawn
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by faber
The road is a rough place for everyone. Remember that everyone is trying to get to Point B as safely as possible.
The problem is that soooo many people on the road are not driving safely because they are busy being bothered by people who do stop at stop signals, who are driving the speed limits and are not using the public roads as their own personal race track. Except Fear Night, he rides everywhere on dragstrips.

Old 08-10-2009, 02:51 PM
TXCOMMISH
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have actually enjoyed slowing to 10 mph and following a couple of bicyclists for a few minutes before passing.

Yup, some chicks really look good in those Spandex pants and tight sports bras!!

Old 08-10-2009, 03:56 PM
minutemaidman
Advanced

Originally Posted by CrackOfDawn
And if you drive within the speed limits, then you should not typically have a "situation" that you can not handle with ease.
Now that is well said.

Old 08-10-2009, 04:41 PM
Fear Night
Tourer

Originally Posted by TXCOMMISH
I have actually enjoyed slowing to 10 mph and following a couple of bicyclists for a few minutes before passing.

Yup, some chicks really look good in those Spandex pants and tight sports bras!!
You sure that was a chick?

Old 08-10-2009, 04:55 PM
faber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Fear Night
You sure that was a chick?
I once stopped by the Harley dealer to pay for my wife's bike's repairs when I was out on a road bike ride.

One guy there, some guy waiting for something, very embarrassed, asked me, "Um, dude, why do you have a maxi pad in your bike shorts.":icon_say what: I said, "Why are you so interested in what's in my shorts?" Every guy there just blew up laughing, and that guy turned red.

(bike shorts have a "chamois" in them to pad the boys a little)

Old 08-10-2009, 07:08 PM
scoteh
Club Member
Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

I have no empathy for anyone who impedes traffic and makes it dangerous for everyone else. Bicyclists riding two-abreast does both. And, yes I pedal once in a while, and would never take up a full lane. If it was that dangerous of a place to ride, I would go somewhere else.

Quick Reply: Cyclists