The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pick your Damn Feet Up!

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 07:05 PM
aaamax
Road Captain
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by wyndnface
Instructions on properly dragging feet

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qorY3WFmBk
lol.
Not only will this thread not die, it won't even fade away.

Old 07-06-2012, 07:08 PM
aaamax
Road Captain
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

In France I'd say 80% of all riders in town (not highways) ride with one foot dangling at all times! Almost like they're waiting to make a quick escape. granted, most riders there are on Euro scooters as in mopeds on roids.
The foot dangle just looks bloody ridiculous.

Old 07-06-2012, 09:36 PM
Bodean46
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I hang my feet from time to time as after 5 back surgeries it takes pressure off my back. Been riding since 67 so i thimk i'm experienced and have plenty of confidence in my riding ability's. It just helps take the pressure off so i feel better.

Old 07-06-2012, 10:29 PM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,548 Likes on 6,277 Posts

Originally Posted by Bodean46
I hang my feet from time to time as after 5 back surgeries it takes pressure off my back. Been riding since 67 so i thimk i'm experienced and have plenty of confidence in my riding ability's. It just helps take the pressure off so i feel better.
5 surgeries? Ouch!

Old 07-07-2012, 10:30 AM
tread1
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I see another rider pulling away with training wheels I give them plenty of room,there may be other reasons for dragging them but I take it as a sign of a new rider.

Old 07-07-2012, 11:11 AM
Imold
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,632 Likes on 2,735 Posts

Originally Posted by Bodean46
Do you have forwards? I find it takes pressure off my back to move my feet back to the passenger pegs on my sporty; planning to put mids on next maintenance, which will be soon. No back surgery, but I'm 65 and have had some painful back episodes. I avoid back & hip twinges by putting both feet down as the bike stops; an unexpected shift requiring a rapid foot from peg to ground can feel unpleasant for me, too.

Old 07-09-2012, 09:38 AM
Bodean46
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Yes Imold, i have highway pegs on my Ultra, and they do help somewhat. I have gone from HD Reach seat, to a custom built and now have a Mustang Tourer. After being opened up like a can of soup so many times, nothing is really comfortable, so i hang my feet when i take off from a light or sign as it will offer a little relief on a long ride. My 01 has air in both front and rear and i've got it pretty close so i can stay in the wind. Usually 60 to 80 miles and i have to get off and move around for 10 or 20 minutes to ease the pain, then it's party on, lol.

Old 07-09-2012, 09:44 AM
steelpony5555
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This I can comment on, as long as this thread is I may have already.....But on a poker run watched a guy in a parking lot that was pot holed and half pavement and half dirt and gravel. He comes across the lot skimming his feet on the ground, hooks a boot on the edge of some pavement, guess what, that 600 lb bike did not stop for his ankle. He had his leg in front of the pegs and it popped that bike up in the air a little and you heard a loud crack and looked like he was gonna do a face plant on the bars. So now he has a dented and scratched up bike and a foot that just dangles sort of like that movie of Joe Thiesman ouch!!!!.... So yeah pick up yer damn feet, there's a reason you don't skim a long with your feet down, I don't wanna hear you scream like a little girl when you hook your leg.

Old 07-10-2012, 07:09 AM
fat_tony
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 168 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by steelpony5555
This I can comment on, as long as this thread is I may have already.....But on a poker run watched a guy in a parking lot that was pot holed and half pavement and half dirt and gravel. He comes across the lot skimming his feet on the ground, hooks a boot on the edge of some pavement, guess what, that 600 lb bike did not stop for his ankle. He had his leg in front of the pegs and it popped that bike up in the air a little and you heard a loud crack and looked like he was gonna do a face plant on the bars. So now he has a dented and scratched up bike and a foot that just dangles sort of like that movie of Joe Thiesman ouch!!!!.... So yeah pick up yer damn feet, there's a reason you don't skim a long with your feet down, I don't wanna hear you scream like a little girl when you hook your leg.
How is this possible ?
1) Any bike I've seen has spring loaded foot pegs on a 45 degree hinge so they will pop upward and inward if they strike a leg or the pavement. They are designed to prevent the type of injury you describe.
2) The foot pegs on any cruiser are forward, not behind, of where you place your feet on the ground.

Old 07-10-2012, 07:36 AM
Redhill Phil
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your bike should be set up how you find it most comfortable. Your feet or foot should never need to come off the footpeg until you are almost stopped. Skilled riders know what I mean. The rest of you need to go out and practice slow riding with your feet up.

Quick Reply: Pick your Damn Feet Up!