The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pick your Damn Feet Up!

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 11:09 AM
cmeaney
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree-nuff said.

Old 06-16-2011, 11:23 AM
harleyguy5571
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 88 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by scoteh
I'm gonna put taps on my heels so I can make pretty sparks.

It's kinda sad that this thread was resurrected from the dead. OK, real sad!
I think it's sad that I remember when it was first posted lol

Attached Thumbnails Pick your Damn Feet Up!-aap.jpg  
Old 06-16-2011, 12:32 PM
HD 472
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just wonder if certain model bikes are easier to balance than others at extreme slow speeds.....

Last edited by HD 472; 06-17-2011 at 09:12 PM.
Old 06-16-2011, 01:06 PM
zeus33
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Back in my racing days, me and my buddy used to challenge each other on the flat track the only rule was that both feet had to stay on the pegs.

Ever tried breaking the rear tire loose is a corner and not putting a foot out? haha. We could do it on the ice though, ice racing is much easier, a lot more consistent.

To this day I still benifit from those days. I can ride on gravel roads, goose it on corners, let the rear wheel drift a bit and keep my feet on the pegs.

Old 06-16-2011, 01:09 PM
Clutch70
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looser rama!!!!!!!

Old 06-16-2011, 09:09 PM
RoaringRigid
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,868 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Originally Posted by hollowpoint
Relax. Let your feet down. This ain't no Iran. Who makes these rules you believe need enforcing? I'll let my feet down whenever I'm in the mood. Sometimes after riding for hours with my feet condemned to the pegs, it feels pretty good to change positions.
If it feels good, do it!
Ayup... I am a bit nervous. I joined the forum today after years of avoind internet forums and it seems like most of the threads in here are people worried about what others do, what they wear and what they have on their bikes and whether they are bikers or not. Please PLEASE tell me we talk about other things.

If someone wants to ride in the resting dog position as long as its safe let it go.

I have no idea WTF a sleeping dog position is please don't ask.

Old 06-17-2011, 08:29 AM
Old Sorrel
Road Captain

I don't understand foot dragging either. Were they not taught properly? I see it a lot among newbies mostly. The only time my feet are on the ground is when I am completely stopped. Sometimes I even see how slow I can go without stopping. As long as the scoot is rolling my feet are on the pegs.

Old 06-19-2011, 08:01 PM
Bull_Duck
Tourer

I hsve been experimenting with feet positioning. Not dragging, but like a tight rope walker carrying a stick to balance. Perhaps hundreds of feet up in Manhatten between tall buildings.

Okay, only up a couple of feet. The way I have ridden for so long was feet on pegs or boards - instantly after start. and only when absolutely necessary. Even in my youth era on a road bike (bicycle, Colnago) it was considered uncool to put feet down even when stopped. Of course shoes clamped to pegs so either learn to balance or fall down.

I believe it is good to challenge the routine. Especially when it is only about style and not function. So I have been experimenting on my RG and Deuce about feet placement, lifting off the rests, reaching out a bit horizontally with left foot when a slow right turn, and so on. The ability to affect balance is huge. Downward runs the risk of a broken ankle. But the ability to affect balance is a two edge sword. Change of balance by change of foot position is one more variable in riding that can get you in trouble. Still, it is fun to experiment.

Old 06-19-2011, 08:22 PM
SamStone
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 177 Likes on 89 Posts

I watched a guy cruising around a bend in the parking lot with his feet dragging. Someone stepped in front of him and he had to use his front brake because that was all he had time to hit. Down he and the bike went.

Old 06-19-2011, 08:33 PM
dutcharoo
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thats funny!!!

Quick Reply: Pick your Damn Feet Up!