The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pick your Damn Feet Up!

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 08:17 PM
motolocopat
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Foot Draggers are one of the lowest forms of motorcycle riders...
They should be committed to the OP's boot camp for a week of Special High Intensity Training (****)
If they cannot take the **** or pass **** then they should be remanded to riding Italian motorscooters

Old 06-14-2011, 01:01 AM
Stubby3492
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by IAMSWUTIAMS
they only thing I dangle is participles.
The only thing I dangle is my junk. (unless its really cold out)

Old 06-14-2011, 03:37 AM
Stubby3492
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Paniolo
Dragging your feet on an Ultra is not insurance, but most likely a liability. If your foot accidentally gets snagged on something it could get caught under the saddlebag or frame and pull everything over onto you or at leas spran/break and ankle. Motorcops ride ElectraGlides and they don't drag their feet. One of the first things they are taught is when the bike moves your feet come up. It's not a showing off skill like some folks claim, but a tried and true method of riding.

If riders are dragging they feet it's probably because they haven't learned the correct technique yet. Once they do the foot dragging will stop.

Ride Safe.
+1
For those who think they can't balance very well in gravel or at slow speeds without their feet down, if you start intentionally leaving your feet up, you will find that you have better balance.
Its harder to balance with your feet out as you aren't "one with the bike" like you are with your feet on the pegs.

I really don't care how a person wants to ride in a parking lot, but just an observation, when I'm at the dealership, and the local Hog group comes riding in to the parking lot, I notice that about a third of them have their feet out like outriggers, and and another third has their feet up on the highway pegs (in a parking lot?). Maybe they think it just looks cool or something, but either way, all they have to stop with is their front brake. The dealer's parking lot is always swept clean, so I haven't seen any go down in it, but if they rode the same way in a parking lot with sand on it, I'm sure some of them would.

I know there are a lot of good and experienced riders in the Hog chapters, but a lot of them are fairly new riders as well, that just got their Hog membership free when they bought their bike. They all look and dress the same, but you can tell the new riders from the seasoned ones by watching them all pull into the parking lot.

I'm not trying to pick on Hog chapters here, because I see it in all the local riding groups, but it seems to be mostly the cruiser riders, because you don't see it too much with the sportbike or the dual-sport crowd.

But its really common to see at bike rallies as well when guys are riding up and down the street at slow speed many of them are also dragging their shoes.

I'm not trying to be judgemental here, but just making observations. A lot of people probably don't even realize that they are doing it, so if its brought to their attention, they might just improve their riding skills.

When they talk about riding in the friction zone, they're talking about your clutch friction zone, not your boots.

-

Last edited by Stubby3492; 06-14-2011 at 03:57 AM.
Old 06-14-2011, 05:23 AM
YeOldeStonecat
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,674 Likes on 1,647 Posts

Originally Posted by Stubby3492
and and another third has their feet up on the highway pegs (in a parking lot?). Maybe they think it just looks cool or something, but either way, all they have to stop with is their front brake.
-
I don't get why you're saying this..."highway pegs...all they have to stop with is their front brake"

I recently picked up highway pegs....and often will approach to my stop w/feet still on them. We use our heels to shift and brake. So "no, all we have to stop with is not just the front brake...but both brakes."

Old 06-14-2011, 06:45 AM
Stubby3492
Road Captain

Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat
I don't get why you're saying this..."highway pegs...all they have to stop with is their front brake"

I recently picked up highway pegs....and often will approach to my stop w/feet still on them. We use our heels to shift and brake. So "no, all we have to stop with is not just the front brake...but both brakes."
I guess that depends on where the highway pegs are mounted. Mine are on the outside of my engine guard and I can't shift and brake with my feet on them, but possible some can. Most of them that I have seen, their feet are so far out that they are nowhere near the controls. Mine included.

-

Old 06-14-2011, 06:48 AM
YeOldeStonecat
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,674 Likes on 1,647 Posts

Originally Posted by Stubby3492
I guess that depends on where the highway pegs are mounted. Mine are on the outside of my engine guard and I can't shift and brake with my feet on them, but possible some can. Most of them that I have seen, their feet are so far out that they are nowhere near the controls. Mine included.

-
Ahh OK, pegs on the guards...makes sense. I'm using highway pegs on the frame...what I would consider to be more common. Basically same location as forward controls.

Old 06-14-2011, 06:52 AM
cromagnon
Grand HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Footdraggin' slackers

Old 06-15-2011, 09:33 PM
Tactical111
Road Master
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Thumbs up Brain Police are inside my head!?

Originally Posted by tlb
why do you care what other people do?
I do!! And those girls in your avatar should NOT be doing that tlb!!??

Seriously, seeing riders drag their feet is just a sign of inexperience to me unless it is obviously some grizzled biker just goofing.

Old 06-15-2011, 09:45 PM
tripn88
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The scooters here in Japan drag their feet a lot. Even at high speeds. I would hate to see what happens when you run your own foot over.

Old 06-16-2011, 12:45 AM
Pot Bellied Stick Figure
Cruiser

Originally Posted by tripn88
I would hate to see what happens when you run your own foot over.
Have you seen COPS (tv show)? those guys will run themselves over with a car.

Quick Reply: Pick your Damn Feet Up!