The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pick your Damn Feet Up!

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 03:53 PM
arcticharleyman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Savagehenry
It's not a very 'confident' look. I agree with navypt, if you possess the skill-set -- knock it off.

It's the biking equivalent of black socks and sandals.
Jebeezuz, Man....now yer soundin' jes like my wife.

Old 09-24-2010, 04:21 PM
arcticharleyman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Iceman24
Not all of us are as "perfectly balanced" as the Navy...;-)

Give these fellow riders a break, or take them aside for some refresher BRC balance training - they're not dragging feet to pi$$ anyone off...
I do...sometimes..especially if there's a whiner behind me, or someone whom I do not want close to me.

Old 09-25-2010, 05:59 AM
motolocopat
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Stubby3492
Its got nothing to do with what they look like dragging their feet. Its a safety thing.... you have a lot less control of your bike with your feet down when you're moving, and if you're on gravel or sandy pavement, and you only have your front brake to stop you, its quite likely that you're going down.
+1

It's just Motorcycle Riding 101...... your feet on your pegs allows you to weight your outside peg which will apply pressure directly above the tires contact patch while leaned over.

Feet out is for goons, squids and wannabees and while I never dwell on it I definitly notice if a guy.... or gal, takes off and immediatly puts his feet up on the pegs or not. Never thought about avoiding them I guess because I'd allways be accelerating away from them by the time we were 10 feet out...

Old 06-11-2011, 08:23 PM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,548 Likes on 6,277 Posts

Originally Posted by NavyPT
I'm not talking just a few feet while the bike gets started. This guy I spotted today kept his feet dragging through the entire length of the intersection. Honestly at what point do you have to get comfortable enough with your speed to feel confident enough to put your feet on the foot pegs or floor boards where they belong?
I guess I'll have to agree with you there. But when you have a FLHTCUI it's nice to have a little insurance at low speeds.

Old 06-11-2011, 08:30 PM
Paniolo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by RT750
I guess I'll have to agree with you there. But when you have a FLHTCUI it's nice to have a little insurance at low speeds.
Dragging your feet on an Ultra is not insurance, but most likely a liability. If your foot accidentally gets snagged on something it could get caught under the saddlebag or frame and pull everything over onto you or at leas spran/break and ankle. Motorcops ride ElectraGlides and they don't drag their feet. One of the first things they are taught is when the bike moves your feet come up. It's not a showing off skill like some folks claim, but a tried and true method of riding.

If riders are dragging they feet it's probably because they haven't learned the correct technique yet. Once they do the foot dragging will stop.

Ride Safe.

Old 06-11-2011, 08:50 PM
TO34
Road Warrior
Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Umm no way! I have a Ultra & come from sport bike land & there is no way dragging your feet is a insurance of any sort! Just a bigger bike to slip out from under you and snap your ankle & yes Ive seen this happen.

Old 06-11-2011, 09:03 PM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Paniolo
Dragging your feet on an Ultra is not insurance, but most likely a liability. If your foot accidentally gets snagged on something it could get caught under the saddlebag or frame and pull everything over onto you or at leas spran/break and ankle. Motorcops ride ElectraGlides and they don't drag their feet. One of the first things they are taught is when the bike moves your feet come up. It's not a showing off skill like some folks claim, but a tried and true method of riding.

If riders are dragging they feet it's probably because they haven't learned the correct technique yet. Once they do the foot dragging will stop.

Ride Safe.
Do they teach that in the Advanced Rider Course? I'm taking that next month.

Old 06-11-2011, 10:35 PM
Paniolo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Do they teach that in the Advanced Rider Course? I'm taking that next month.
If you are speaking of the MSF Experienced Rider Course, not that I can recall. Before I opened Ride Like A Pro West Coast I used to be an MSF Rider Coach. While the ERC is a good course, it is pretty much day two of the BRC with a couple of extra things thrown in like using your own bike, riding with one hand, and the opportunity to carry a passanger.

They don't focus a lot on the friction zone, rear brake and head and eyes which are the foundation of Law Enforcement Style riding.

RT750, where do you live?

Old 06-12-2011, 12:40 AM
El Rey
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Dragging your feet on an Ultra is not insurance, but most likely a liability.
There was a post in the Touring section not too long ago where a guy broke his foot or something from putting his left foot down in a turn.

It can happen folks.

Old 06-12-2011, 04:15 AM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member

If you are speaking of the MSF Experienced Rider Course, not that I can recall. Before I opened Ride Like A Pro West Coast I used to be an MSF Rider Coach. While the ERC is a good course, it is pretty much day two of the BRC with a couple of extra things thrown in like using your own bike, riding with one hand, and the opportunity to carry a passanger.

They don't focus a lot on the friction zone, rear brake and head and eyes which are the foundation of Law Enforcement Style riding.

RT750, where do you live?
Central WI. Closest city big enough for Ride Like a Pro is probably home of HD. Milwaukee. Probably should check that out next, huh?how does takin the course compare to DVD?

Quick Reply: Pick your Damn Feet Up!