The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pick your Damn Feet Up!

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 08:31 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Sounds to me like the new learners are fighting an uphill battle.Do what you gotta do, confidence comes with time in the saddle.

Old 07-24-2009, 08:37 AM
Mk1Racer
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, 14 pages in ~2.5 days. Some of you have way too much time on your hands.

Old 07-24-2009, 10:27 AM
CrackOfDawn
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think that everytime a biker sees another biker do something that they don't think is acceptable, they should be allowed to pull them over and punch him in the face, and call him a pu^^y, and insult his momma, and wink at his woman. My God, if someone actually affects you, ok, take some action.

Some people are straining their room-temperature IQs, and it is coooooold in here!

Old 07-24-2009, 10:51 AM
JaronB
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Man I think it's funny how the OP's has his opinion about feet dragging is getting critiqued, but yet all of you are critiquing his opinion. Maybe you all should mind you own opinions then and not worry about the OP so much and we aren't flying jets we are already on the ground and don't have to worry about emergency landings after take off unless you suck!! Oh and those that stretch while on the highway, I'm sure we all do that. The OP is speaking of slow speed areas and starting. Attention to detail!

My feet go on the pegs the second the clutch is released. I don't wobble like some have stated because that's what rookies do. Have you ever followed anyone that drag their feet around parking lots or making the infamous right turn at a stop sign or light where most rookies drop their bike? Why is it that they drop their bike? Most because they don't have enough momentum because they are scared and have their feet down thinking that is going to help, but wait they can't hold the bike up and down you go. In a parking lot they are slow (and I'm not talking about hot rodding through parking lots just not moving like a snail, I know I had to clear that up for some). If I'm in traffic as someone else stated yea let them hang because you're going to stop in 5-10 feet probably anyways.

This is a haulen thread, maybe we'll hit 200 post by the end of the day.

Last edited by JaronB; 07-24-2009 at 11:45 AM.
Old 07-24-2009, 12:36 PM
pahamca
Stage II
Default Feet

Originally Posted by NavyPT
I seem to be seeing it more and more lately but it is one of those things that seems to irritate the snot of me. I see a biker riding through an intersection, parking lot, turn or what ever else with their feet hanging out to the side just inches off the ground. For the love of Pete just pick your feet up and ride! I mean if you don't have enough confidence or the sense of balance enough to know how to handle that ride of your then 1) park it. 2) get your self a trike or some kind of training wheel kit. 3) take a riding course and learn how to handle that bike of yours.

Thanks I feel better now.
Good, but don't hold back, let it out, be candid.

Old 07-24-2009, 12:52 PM
RoadKingRon1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by CrackOfDawn
I think that everytime a biker sees another biker do something that they don't think is acceptable, they should be allowed to pull them over and punch him in the face, and call him a pu^^y, and insult his momma, and wink at his woman. My God, if someone actually affects you, ok, take some action.

Some people are straining their room-temperature IQs, and it is coooooold in here!
Damn I hope not. I would never get any riding time for people pulling me over wanting to fight. Especially when I wear my shorts and deck shoes.

Old 07-24-2009, 01:17 PM
TwiggyAZ
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wish the "Your not riding your freaking bike right" police would pull ME over just once! I mean how many violations does a woman have to commit before they pull you over? I drag my feet. I know I don't back my bike up correctly, I can't do a U turn for chit, I cry if I hit a wabbit...it's just discusting. But does anyone correct me? Noooooooooooooooooo. Where are they?

I'll keep looking while I'm draggin!!

Old 07-24-2009, 02:17 PM
Juno
Banned

I seem to be seeing it more and more lately but it is one of those things that seems to irritate the snot of me. I see a biker riding through an intersection, parking lot, turn or what ever else with their feet hanging out to the side just inches off the ground. For the love of Pete just pick your feet up and ride! I mean if you don't have enough confidence or the sense of balance enough to know how to handle that ride of your then 1) park it. 2) get your self a trike or some kind of training wheel kit. 3) take a riding course and learn how to handle that bike of yours.

Originally Posted by RomeoKilo
Glad you feel better.
Originally Posted by higg47
Me too.
Originally Posted by harleyflyboy
Yeah, that's a relief. I think you need to be on the "foot dragger forum".
Originally Posted by Monochrome
Reminds me of learning to ride, the old boy who was one of my instructors hated feet not up. Doing u turns he would run up to you and yell feet!!! So funny, now my feet are up as soon as that bike moves and until it stops, I think if I dangled them or tried to 'walk' the bike I would fall off
Originally Posted by hollowpoint
Relax. Let your feet down. This ain't no Iran. Who makes these rules you believe need enforcing? I'll let my feet down whenever I'm in the mood. Sometimes after riding for hours with my feet condemned to the pegs, it feels pretty good to change positions.
If it feels good, do it!
Originally Posted by duoglider
Maybe their scraping the dog poo off their feet.
Originally Posted by 99 Conv
Beside tires last longer than boots !
Originally Posted by Geezer2
Dennis, did you get up on the wrong side of the bed this morning?
Originally Posted by RCB
Must be friends of Fred Flintstone.

Originally Posted by Sick1200
Simma! Simma dan na!
Originally Posted by minutemaidman
I agree, why would anyone keep their feet down? Well said.
Originally Posted by golfblues
I passed a bike this weekend & the passenger had her feet dangling 2" from the ground on a turn. I didn't think it was the smartest way to ride.
Originally Posted by jbnl163
Try riding in loose gravel without putting your feet out close to the ground. I can't seem to do it.
Originally Posted by teamstersteward
well it be ok if I wear roller blades
Originally Posted by dcobra23
Bro I been riding for 29 yrs now and never noticed or cared about this crap.

Free your mind and just ride brother.

Originally Posted by travroc
Now that's an idea. Sounds like fun.
Originally Posted by txfxstrider
I take it you have not been laid for a couple of days.
Originally Posted by xFreebirdx
rkoivisto (username) told me of a man that would drag his baseball cleats cause it would throw sparks.
Originally Posted by CC's roadking
well i say they are their legs, they are free to do as they wish. It may hurt in the end though!
Originally Posted by rockDAWG
Speaking of experience.
Originally Posted by tlb
why do you care what other people do?
Originally Posted by dennyo
I Think , NavyPT, is tryin to Say It Looks, Stupid,,,

Originally Posted by flibuoy
It is my hope for you that seeing dangling legs through an intersection is the most troubling thing in your lifetime.
Originally Posted by wildman67
I do it to give you something to talk about!
Originally Posted by SamStone
At least you know the rookies. Don't ride too close to them.
Originally Posted by dinahmoedave
I have to agree with PT. Its almost every intersection on Long Island. And since were bichtin, what is with the bandana's over the face in the middle of the day in the summer! I am guessing we are getting old when this shtuff annoys us!
Originally Posted by bigskyhd
I get the same funny looking response from folks when I pull up to the stop light, and I DON"T put my feet down. I just sit there idling, with both feet on the floorboards!!! LoL
Originally Posted by Jon H
I always challenge myself to see how quickly I can get my feet up.
I think is really fun to ride real slow and ride in a straight line.

What sucks is when people are watching ya do figure 8's when ya really want to do a straight line.
Originally Posted by Ironbarr
Sounds like the ancient mag vs clip thing. Who cares? Only the purists.
Originally Posted by Paniolo
I don't know if I'm a purist, but I do care about the safety of other riders. And if a rider can learn to pick his feet up and become a safer rider, then I guess it's a good thing.
Originally Posted by SeniorChief56
stfu!
Originally Posted by vet767
About this time I tell you to "Jump up my a$$" and then tell you to go fornicate with yourself. When they promote you to the rank of God is when you can tell the rest of us how to ride.
Originally Posted by murd
NavyPT seems to have touched a nerve with a few here. Yes, I agree, ride whatever way you like for all I care.

However, a rider that rides through an intersection(common, an INTERSECTION??) dragging both feet tells me that he/she is just stretching their feet or is an inexperienced rider. If it's the latter... good luck to you and I hope you learn to get your feet up as soon as you roll and can keep them up while you do a tight U-Turn. Otherwise, someday you're going to have a date with the pavement.

That's my 2cents.
Originally Posted by cdestuck
I'm sorry, really! In fact, will sell my bike asap. Dont want anyone jumping off any bridges. And I hate it when I see people chewing gum and riding at the same time. Why cant they just pay attemtion to riding. Now, passengers, it dont doesnt bother me too much if they chew, I think.
Originally Posted by THABULL
My driveway is a haft mile of loose gravel and when I get to my house I haft to ride around the house in the grass to the basement and my feet never come off the boards till I'm in my basement! Right foot on the rear brake , right hand giving throttle and I stay as far away from the front brake as possible!
Originally Posted by NHFree1
I agree in some cases it can be dangerous to drag feet....but jeeze man....who pissed in your Cheerios?
Originally Posted by murd
You said it THABULL!
Left foot down, right foot covers rear brake.... even use it for stability while I work my friction zone. I ride on gravel, even ride up and down a slippery metal ferry ramp everyday and boarding the ferry deck in a slow crawl behind cages. I never put two feet down unless I'm stopped and shut down for a two mile long train crossing.
Practicing this technique helps me keep the bike upright no matter how slow I'm going. It's as important and as cool as counter steering.... but that's another thread.
Originally Posted by txfxstrider
I'll tell you somethin' else I hate. It'z these damn dumb dogs riding around in cars with their head sticking out the window and, on top of that, not even wearing a helmet. I ain't never seen a friggin' dog wearing a full face. Dumb shitz.
Originally Posted by ILTim
Not mine! Boots 1-2 years, tires 2-3 months. Guess I don't drag my feet enough?
Originally Posted by JasonJ
Is it OK to wear fingerless socks? I guess that would Toeless Socks? That just doesnt sound right though.
Originally Posted by TXSwede
O.K....O.K. I'm sorry and I promise I will NEVER EVER drag my feet again. You have convinced me of the error of my ways! WHAT WAS I THINKING?! Thats just it, for alas, I WASN'T thinking. Thank you. And thank you again!
Originally Posted by Snarly
If you think riding with your feet hanging out on gravel will help you, your in for a big surprise. The minute your foot hits the dirt, it's out from under you and away you go. Unless of course your moving at less than walking speed. Flat track racers put one leg down around fast tight turns but they wear a special steel shoe which allows it to slide.
Originally Posted by Brianc9876
Dragging your feet too long is a dang good way to get your feet and legs broken in a hurry. Let them to continue to do it, keeps me a good distance away from them!
Originally Posted by oct1949
I use the 2 sec rule, cept on backing up and 180's road turns.

Originally Posted by MNPGRider
Dragging your feet is a good way to break an ankle if you catch a foot peg.
Originally Posted by Paniolo
Folks are gonna do exactly what they are gonna do. Those who want to change will, and those who don't want to, or don't see a need to won't. Those who wish to learn and improve will, and those who have never had a problem as of yet and have no interest in changing won't make the effort. It's a simple as that.

Originally Posted by jmerr01
I just wasted a minute of my life reading another bitch post.

And people wonder why we laugh at the Navy...

Maybe I drag my feet just because I like to? Maybe I like to feel the road there? Hmm? Maybe I have metal clips on the back of my heels and like to make sparks (not me but I've seen it).
Originally Posted by OLD 96
7 bloody pages about picking up your feet?
Another sign that the Apocalypse is near!!!
Originally Posted by BlackDenimBob
If it irritates you so much,why didnt you run him down and stomp his ***?...

Originally Posted by gunner11
Mabe it's a poor boys ABS
Originally Posted by piggy
I had a CRAMP IN my leg once, I WAS SO WORRIED whatcha'all might THINK<< I couldn't stretch it out to help, I WORRIED AND WORRIED what others THINK< that i rode home with that CRAMP in my leg. NOW i find out, IF I STuck my leg out some of you wouldn't really give a crap? DANG> IM FREE IM FREE AT LAST<
Originally Posted by Shag67
Sometimes I leave my feet hanging near the ground when taking off and I could probably out-ride you.

Originally Posted by Ironbarr
Yea verily.

(Wish I hadn't posted in this one)
Originally Posted by robandlyn
Now THAT sounds like fun !
Definatly would scare the cager's behind you thinking
the next thing your gonna do is blow up !
Rob .....
Let me get this straight. You are criticizing B]others
for whining? HAHAHAHAHA!!!
Originally Posted by hincheec
If someone is learning to ride and they want to drag their feet, so what?

It is their shoes, let 'em wear em out. I dont really give a crap.

Just dont run into me or run me off the road and we are good man.
Originally Posted by Danowert
You got that right. If you ran a quickly poll as to the majority of the posts its silly newbie questions with the usual bitching and moaning when it hits home. If you call it whining because I put in seat time instead of sitting around typing on a computer talking about riding then yeah, I'm a whiner. Check my post count. and the posts I make. It sure as hell not a discussion group posting other than my occasional bit$h about newbies complaining.

Oh, its to hot....
Oh my road couch puts out too much heat....
Oh its too cold....
Oh its too wet......
What kind of trailer do you use?
What kind of boots do you wear?

Support group for newbies.... GET IT!!!!

Oh and by the way.......

F$$K the Smilies
Nah, I call it whining when you whine about 5-6 things in your post including other people being whiners. Glad I could clear that up for you! HAHAHAHA!
Originally Posted by hollowpoint
Shag67 said "Sometimes I leave my feet hanging near the ground when taking off and I could probably out-ride you."

I would expect probably.

It seems that NavyPT is still at that "keep your feet on the pegs" stage of development.

THIS THREAD IS TOO FUNNY!!!!!!!![/QUOTE]

Originally Posted by roofer
Maybe they should put wheels on the bottom of there boots, the ones that bug me the most are the ones that get right on my bumper when I'm driving my truck and I have a bunch of roofing debris in it, I secure it but there is always a chance something could fly out the other day I had to slow down to 45 on the hiway before this dipsh%t would pass me on his Fatboy he looked like a beginner
Originally Posted by doorsidedown
agreed.

Originally Posted by fixedmlc
If this is how you react to seeing people do something you don't like, god help you when someone actually does something that directly affects you.

Relax. Enjoy life on your ride, and laugh at the little things!
Damn.... I better stop drinking my early morning Starbucks coffee while riding.

Originally Posted by Badlarry
I couldn't more agree. Whenever I see a rider keep their feet down after they have got rolling, it spells insecurity to me. Not good. There are some people who just don't belong on two wheels.

Badlarry
Originally Posted by TwiggyAZ
Dragging feet, duck walking....bla bla bla bla bla. I've been doing it for 30 years, and I've never gone down, never hurt myself, never had anyone tell me not to do it, and I plan on doing it for the rest of my riding career...so there

I'll tell ya what drives me to posting something stupid on the forum - People that don't post about azzless chaps, fingerless gloves, mounting the bike from the wrong side, where to put the gas cap, how to stop backsplash, bla bla bla! THAT will just make me post something about the best stilettos to wear while doing a wheelie on a bagger....that there needs discussion, I'll tell ya!!

(This thread is draggin me down!!)
Originally Posted by chunks
Badlarry, huh?

Dont quit your day job, Badlarry.

Your understanding of human psychology is worth
exactly what you just offered. 2 cents.

Originally Posted by Juno
Maybe he has a Wooden leg. Hell, who gives a big rat's ***?
Originally Posted by hagger
Never took a rider safety course but when the bike is moving my feet are up! Tight turns, parking lots whatever. Your not giong to be able to hold your bike up if it starts to go out from under you anyway. Balance is the key.
At stops, one foot down one foot on brake!
Originally Posted by minutemaidman
Everyone should ride their bikes out to a boat launch ramp some day and sit there and watch boaters unload and especially load their boats for a while. Funny stuff. Much funnier than watching the foot draggers and dog walkers.
Damn you, NavyPT.

I just came back from lunch riding my bike. After reading this thread, I subconsciously picked my feet up instantly as the bike moved.
Originally Posted by oldairboater
Don't want to hijack this thread but, you are a wise man speaking from experience. We have a annual almost week long fishing tournament put on by a local group. The tournament is a good thing and supports many charities. I quit fishing the week before, the week of, and the week after. If it floats--- they put it in the water. If they bought it on the way down --they put it in the water. I enjoy the weeks off from fishing and I get entertained. One of my favorite places to hang out during that time is a Bait shop, grocery store, beer joint and boat ramp all rolled into one with picnic tables over looking the boat ramp. It is an evening of entertainment.
Summed up nicely Paniolo. So there you have it. I simply thought it was my imagination that I seemed to be seeing more and more lately but after reading the multitude of posts it would seem to be a wide spread epidemic. I certainly know as Harley enthusiasts we care very deeply about the look and feel of our rides. I wonder why it is that we should not have the same concern for ourselves in our riding habits. That is the only point I am trying to make.
Originally Posted by flibuoy
Looked to me like the Buell rider had his feet DOWN trying to stop the bike, tiny wisps of smoke puffing off the soles. Clearly an experienced rider as he had a backup plan to stop and hit the wall which was very effective. Videos like this remind me how much I learn from listening and watching.
Originally Posted by boogaloodude
Did you ever watch a movie that was really bad, start to finish? About 3/4 way through, you know it's not gonna get any better, but you think to yourself "I've already spent an hour and a half, might as well spend the other 30 minutes, maybe it will get better" And then it doesn't.

Ya, this thread was like that for me.
Originally Posted by skannner
yuppies
Originally Posted by 55Bubba
I agree with Navypt too. Folks who can't handle their bikes tend to need that crutch. I find that the sooner I get my feet up, the easier it is to ride the bike slowly.

Course, you can ride like you want to, its your bike

Bubba
Originally Posted by danmo
I hover my feet before a stop just because I do. I can handle my bike just fine, I just do it I guess.
Originally Posted by High Gear
I suppose NEXT will be no foot draggin when we're spinnin donuts . When will it ever end?
Originally Posted by frankjake
I don't mean to be an a-hole but what difference does it make how anyone else rides? Why can't some people just mind their own business?

But.... he he he, I hate it when riders come to a stop light or stop sign and pull in the clutch and apply the brakes and coast to a stop. They should downshift.
Originally Posted by GBeck
Are those assless chaps? It just burns my stool to see men who can't afford a full *** set of chaps. It only costs a few more dollars to cover your featureless high-waisted Wranglers! All leather or all denim. Where are the "real" bikers?

Damned foot police! What's next? Fingerless glove wearers?!

Thanks, I feel better now.
Originally Posted by magforce
screw it just ride
Originally Posted by justjohn
This was just in the BS forum??????

Originally Posted by Chicago Bob
??? Brakes are cheaper to replace than a clutch!
Originally Posted by motolocopat
Leaving your feet down has and allways will be a dead giveaway for someone who is lacking in experience..
%40 of your controls are controlled by your feet plus the fact of weighting your outside peg and using the pegs to help balance the motorcycle.

Foot draggers are squids
Originally Posted by cowboy1
Thanks cuz now I'm going to go through the rest of the day humming the song...
Originally Posted by AtkRWC
Hey it could be worst, what if it was the Barney song??? See your day looks brighter already! ;-)
Originally Posted by supercrewser
+1 on that, Sometimes we as riders might develop bad habits over time but who cares. I dont drag my feet but until I replaced the passenger pegs with boards I didnt realize I was allowing my feet to swing back a little on the way to my foot pegs , Live and learn.
Originally Posted by RCB
Their not dragging their feet. That is the Florida panhandle pedal.
Originally Posted by pepperoniPITA
I do it every time I leave home or come back without a problem...our drive is gravel. I also have to make a fairly sharp turn in grass and after it rains I can still do it without putting my feet down.
Originally Posted by IAMSWUTIAMS
I can't believe this argument is still going on. It's just not a safe habit to get into. Pick your dam feet up!
Originally Posted by Big_Al47
Maybe he had a cramp? Happens to me once in a while
maybe the poor sap wanted to keep from scoffing up his brand spanking new pegs
Originally Posted by boogaloodude
LMAO!! Actually, I like to mix it up a little... maybe I'll drag 'em, maybe not... maybe drag just one foot, then the next stop, drag my hands..... you know, keep it fresh
I never do nuthin rong but everytime I get the blame
no more foot dragin for me unless I'm wearing the roller blades
Are there any other forms of chaps that aren't assless?
---------------- that's what I was thinkin
Originally Posted by tda69
You're not alone. I feel the same way at times. Just provides clear evidence that the rider is inexperienced or has developed bad habits. Try not to let it get to you. No doubt you're a much better rider than them, which is why you notice it.
Originally Posted by OLD 96
Any one old enough to remember Brother Dave Gardner and The Motorcycle Story? Maybe he was trying to be like Chuck. With half moon taps on his boot heels. Make the sparks fly.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5dGUtww43g
Originally Posted by Mark g
What a frickin joke!!!! Pay attention to your own riding, leave the rest alone. They can do as they like! it is america!!!

Your probally one of them posers that make fun of chaps or fingerless gloves??? Oh no I see you are wearing you chaps, maybe we should all go to a riding school you teach so we all know how you want us to ride our bikes.

Jerkoff!!!!
Originally Posted by dog155
Sounds to me like the new learners are fighting an uphill battle.Do what you gotta do, confidence comes with time in the saddle.
Originally Posted by Mk1Racer
Wow, 14 pages in ~2.5 days. Some of you have way too much time on your hands.
Originally Posted by CrackOfDawn

Originally Posted by pahamca
Good, but don't hold back, let it out, be candid.
Originally Posted by RoadKingRon1
Damn I hope not. I would never get any riding time for people pulling me over wanting to fight. Especially when I wear my shorts and deck shoes.
Originally Posted by TwiggyAZ
I wish the "Your not riding your freaking bike right" police would pull ME over just once! I mean how many violations does a woman have to commit before they pull you over? I drag my feet. I know I don't back my bike up correctly, I can't do a U turn for chit, I cry if I hit a wabbit...it's just discusting. But does anyone correct me? Noooooooooooooooooo. Where are they?

I'll keep looking while I'm draggin!!
Just so long as you're not draggin your ***!!

Old 07-24-2009, 02:39 PM
TXCOMMISH
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

"If the guy on the Buell had his feet up he could have stopped that bike!!"

------- That's what I was - Thinkin - Too

Doesn't matter. The wall stopped it.

Old 07-24-2009, 02:44 PM
Squishy
Cruiser

Saw some big burly black chick signaling with her feet today and thought of this thread instantly. lol. It seriously looked like she was about to catch her foot on the ground and stuff it under her hardbags. Needless to say I stayed the f*ck away from her on the road. lol. I'm not trying to get all tangled up in some dumb b*tches wreck.

Quick Reply: Pick your Damn Feet Up!