The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Black hands from grips!

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 05:21 PM
Danny D
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Black hands from grips!

The weather is nice now and I prefer not to wears gloves of any sort, fingerless or whatever. The problem is that my Kuryakin ISO grips make my hands black within an hour or so of riding. I also have the trottle control lever on them and helmet locks that only work with the Kuryakin grips. If I wash the grips off just before I ride helps only a little and gets to be a lot of work and takes away from "just get on and hit it" mode.

Any ideas?

Danny D

Old 06-02-2009, 05:24 PM
asm481
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

How old are the grips. I had a vinyl seat on a metric that did that when it got old. Wear black jeans or a black a$$ patch! I was told it had been uncovered in the sun to long and UV had broken down the vinyl. Could be a similar thing here.

Old 06-02-2009, 05:48 PM
skydrifter
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My ISO grips do the same and they are only a year old .I noticed it last weekend didn't think much about it , and now that a read your post I checked my hands from todays ride home from work and they are black again ,oh well. MAYBE FINGERLESS GLOVES WILL HELP

Last edited by skydrifter; 06-02-2009 at 05:52 PM.
Old 06-02-2009, 06:28 PM
Danny D
Road Warrior
Default Black hands

The grips are about a year old, so I wouldn't think that age is the problem. At least I hope not, I always thought Kuryakin was a quality company and the ISO grip has been out for decades. HMMMM.

Danny D

Old 06-02-2009, 06:29 PM
Danny D
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by skydrifter
My ISO grips do the same and they are only a year old .I noticed it last weekend didn't think much about it , and now that a read your post I checked my hands from todays ride home from work and they are black again ,oh well. MAYBE FINGERLESS GLOVES WILL HELP
Sky guy,
Fingerless huh? Maybe not.
Danny D

Old 06-02-2009, 08:25 PM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

WOW, news to me. Have not heard of this phenom before. BUT I do not do "K" ISO. Many I know do, and I've ridden some of their rides, BUT have not been aware of any chatter concerning this, nor did it 'rub off'.

But got my curiosity up. Guess I'm with you, Danny, I thought they were above reproach with their quality over the years. They sell A LOT of chit, and have been doing it a long time. Cheap chit doesn't run with a history like that. Least ways, IMFUO.

May wanna consider going to their website, check in with customer service. The worst they could do is say "What???"

Old 06-02-2009, 08:47 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I've heard of this problem with Kuryakin ISO grips on other forums. The best way anyone has found to combat this is to A: keep them immaculately clean, especially in the summer months (not just spray them off, really wipe them down with a good cleaner/conditioner), or B: replace them.

Old 06-02-2009, 08:48 PM
frogg
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

It's your inner African coming out.

Old 06-03-2009, 12:21 AM
Juno
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Danny D
The weather is nice now and I prefer not to wears gloves of any sort, fingerless or whatever. The problem is that my Kuryakin ISO grips make my hands black within an hour or so of riding. I also have the trottle control lever on them and helmet locks that only work with the Kuryakin grips. If I wash the grips off just before I ride helps only a little and gets to be a lot of work and takes away from "just get on and hit it" mode.

Any ideas?

Danny D
Take a machete and cut your hands off!

Old 06-03-2009, 01:08 AM
ToastedGoat
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

duct tape then suckers . Duct tape fixes every thing

Quick Reply: Black hands from grips!