The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can I reuse my gremlin bell?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 09:19 PM
Cosmic Razorback
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 17,832 Likes on 7,253 Posts

Originally Posted by 7/11 The Crapshooter
No, the bell may have been given to you but it was meant for the bike and when you retired the bike, the bell must also be retired but kept as a fond memory of the safe miles traveled while all three of you were together. It now becomes a legacy of the past and constant reminder of what once was. The new bike will bring a new era in your journey and requires a new bell to continue the legend.
Interesting

Old 02-23-2009, 09:25 PM
GeorgiaGirl
Madame Moderator
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

No, the bell may have been given to you but it was meant for the bike and when you retired the bike, the bell must also be retired but kept as a fond memory of the safe miles traveled while all three of you were together. It now becomes a legacy of the past and constant reminder of what once was. The new bike will bring a new era in your journey and requires a new bell to continue the legend.
Hmmmm... marketing genius. I gave my husband his first bell and when he traded in his sportster for the Road King, he kept that bell and put it on the Road King. A friend of ours who went along when we purchased the Road King, gave him a second bell in honor of the new bike, but that first one bell isn't going anywhere. Nor are the two he gave to me for my bike. The bike may be sold or whatever, but those bells will come along with me on whatever ride I'm on.

Oh and I'm in agreement with JBaker, they do work great. Never a problem from any gremlins.

Old 02-23-2009, 09:46 PM
7/11 The Crapshooter
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GeorgiaGirl
Hmmmm... marketing genius. I gave my husband his first bell and when he traded in his sportster for the Road King, he kept that bell and put it on the Road King. A friend of ours who went along when we purchased the Road King, gave him a second bell in honor of the new bike, but that first one bell isn't going anywhere. Nor are the two he gave to me for my bike. The bike may be sold or whatever, but those bells will come along with me on whatever ride I'm on.

Oh and I'm in agreement with JBaker, they do work great. Never a problem from any gremlins.
Just like kids in multiplicity, hand-me-downs are never like having that which is called your own and that new bike has feelings too. The old bell that has given everything to be sure you were safe now has earned a place in your life long memories hanging with a picture of the bike it served so well. A place of honor in a loving home with memories to last a lifetime.....

Old 02-23-2009, 10:41 PM
cowboy1
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JBaker421
Yes. And don't let anyone give you any chit about those bells. They absolutely work. I've had them for years and I've never been bothered by gremlins.
Yeah but you don't see too many gremlins on the road these days...maybe a pacer or chevette but not too many gremlins...

Old 02-23-2009, 10:46 PM
*NIGHT TRAIN*
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The bell on my Train was given to me by the best woman I've ever known in my life...it's personal between her and me, and it's graced the last 3 bikes I've owned over the last 10 years...there's love and magic in that bell and it stays with my ride and me...nuff said...

Last edited by *NIGHT TRAIN*; 02-23-2009 at 10:48 PM.
Old 02-24-2009, 12:17 AM
Potato_Potato
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by herkdavis
I traded in my Road King but I kept my gremlin bell. Will it work on my Street Glide?
Yes, but...

FLHX models require separate purchase of adaptor P/Ns 59370-98 and 59371-98. '04-later, FLHX and models require separate purchase of P/Ns 49194-85 and 90781-93 and two each of P/Ns 3601 and 7686 MSRP US $149.95

Old 02-24-2009, 12:24 AM
JBaker421
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I like an experienced bell myself. New ones are too hard to break in. You spend 1/2 of your time training and you don't get to ride enough.

Old 02-24-2009, 12:34 AM
paul s
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Kinda like giving a new woman a used ring.

Old 02-24-2009, 12:43 AM
gunner11
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You need the HD lubricant and bell adjuster, I think it runs about $479. Of course the leather strip will have to be ordered seperate for $36.79

Old 02-24-2009, 12:50 AM
ZEALOUS_DRAGON
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by tpmurray
Yes, but...

FLHX models require separate purchase of adaptor P/Ns 59370-98 and 59371-98. '04-later, FLHX and models require separate purchase of P/Ns 49194-85 and 90781-93 and two each of P/Ns 3601 and 7686 MSRP US $149.95
You failed to mention the "left Hand Threaded Chrome High Speed Muffler Bearing Plate" Remember speacial ordered parts take 6-8 weeks. (what where you thinking? Poor guy wouod have had his bike all torn apart and yet not have all the peices.)

Quick Reply: Can I reuse my gremlin bell?