The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

In accident without helmet.

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 01:09 PM
rprpclark
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default In accident without helmet.

Just wondering, has anyone hit their head in an accident without a helmet on, and still rides without one?

Old 02-19-2009, 02:02 PM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Actually have had a few over the years,then because of alcohol and youth,still feel safer without one.If you ride a motorcycle with the nagging fear you may die or become disabled,when in an accident,then by all means wear a helmet.I have never felt that when out on my machines.Have always been an aggressive rider on modified bikes,love to drag race,and yes, feel safer without a skid lid.Look at this way,when that fateful days comes,I will comfort in knowing I could not possibly have had a better time in life!Dog

Old 02-19-2009, 02:11 PM
jd8181
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my boss hit 2 deer (killed them both) last year on his brand new ultra that he had for less than a week. wasn't wearing a helmet. it was about 1 or 2 am and when over the bars, broke 4 or 5 rims, colaped lung, and atleast a hand full of staples in his head. he was luckey there was a car behind him and she was directing traffice around him as he was laying on the ground (luckey because it was on a highway and someone could have ran him over really easy if it wasn't for that lady). he spend one day in the hospital and still doesn't ride with a helmet. they fixed his bike and it ended up being around $9000, the bike didn't look as bad as i thought that it would. i still tell him that he was luckey and i really don't know if he thinks he was or not, but as for me i've always for my 1/2 helmet on and i'm so use to it i don't even know it's on most of the time.

Old 02-19-2009, 02:43 PM
RoadKingRon1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Same here a few years back. We are a helmet state but when I cross state lines, off it comes. A helmet will only guarantee you an open casket funeral vs closed casket.

I have friends who have gone down and have heard 100's of times "if I hadn't had my helmet on I wouldn't be here now". Bullchit... You don't know that for sure. I always ask them to recreate their accident without the helmet and let's make sure.

So far no takers.....

Last edited by RoadKingRon1; 02-19-2009 at 05:35 PM.
Old 02-19-2009, 05:02 PM
Old Bones
Road Master

Last April I got run off the road by a cage changing lanes. Woke up in intensive care. If you see my bike go down the road with a rider wearing a helmet stop him he stole my bike.

Old 02-19-2009, 05:09 PM
bikergirl40
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have had a few friends that have had accidents while wearing helmets and took a direct blow to the head ... They are alive and well ... and continue to ride (thankfully)..helmets are toast, but they survived ... Then I had one friend who had an accident while not wearing a helmet, who also suffered head trauma

... We will always miss him.

Rest in peace, Mike!

Old 02-19-2009, 05:14 PM
Sick1200
Road Warrior

My ex brother in law t-boned a mustang that didn't see him, while he was riding 45 mph. Crushed his foot, and got some scrapes and bruises but that's all. He did have open foot surgery though, he still rides with no helmet. He was also rear ended in the same intersection while stopped 3 years prior to that. That kid has bad luck with getting in accidents, yet good luck not to get seriously hurt.

Old 02-19-2009, 05:19 PM
2Sore
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ware a helmet cause it keeps the sun out of my eyes and the rain.
It also helps the small bald spot from getting sunburn.....(it's really a really small bald spot)

Old 02-19-2009, 06:06 PM
electaRICK
Extreme HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

thats why I never cut my hair to short,,,,,
ever see a close up of the moon,,,, thats my noggin

Old 02-19-2009, 10:05 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,297 Likes on 484 Posts

Been down twice with a helmet on. Danged ol' head never hit the ground.

Been down without a helmet, too. Danged ol' head didn't hit the ground then, either.

Might go down with or without tomorrow. Might not hit the ground, but might get the head turned into a brain burger. Never know what's in store when you go riding.

Quick Reply: In accident without helmet.