The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many out of work?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2009 | 09:35 AM
StreetGlider57
|
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How many out of work?

I'm just wondering how many in this forum are out of work. I keep reading about people worring about losing their jobs, but I don't see too much about those that have already been sent packing.

As for myself, I've had two long term contracts (engineering temp work) end early in 2008 due to the economy. Plus my live in GF is without work too.

Good thing my SG is paid for. But the upgades I had planned will have to wait, just paying for the season's insurance will put a dent in the savings.

Old 01-23-2009 | 09:58 AM
ranger56528
Extreme HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not out of work just layed off for the winter........Thats life for a lot of us snowbirds hehehe.......

Old 01-23-2009 | 10:24 AM
TequilaJohn
Outstanding HDF Member

We've cut back on spendin 'n such...but, nobody laid off yet where I work. I have several buds that have been laid off...mostly from manufacturin and distribution type facilities.

Old 01-23-2009 | 10:32 AM
tas_todd
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 793 Likes on 386 Posts

I'm at an engineering firm down here in Baton Rouge and we're already having some lay-offs. I'm considered part of their "core group" but even that doesn't make immune to it.

I had to go through a list of people on my project and rate them in order of importance to the project. I hated doing that knowing that some of them will get the axe. My Dept. head said I could rate myself as #1. I rated myself as #5 instead. We'll see!

Old 01-23-2009 | 10:34 AM
Rhonda
Road Warrior

Not laid off thank goodness. I'm a nurse and work in a hospital. Though health care jobs are seemingly supposed to be unaffected, there's no telling what will happen in this economy. My husband is not laid off either and is currently working 50 to 60 hours a week. He works as an electrician/welder in industrial construction.

I feel for everyone that is laid off and pray for our country every day.

Old 01-23-2009 | 11:11 AM
Candy Red
Tourer

Network techs never get laid off, we just find a better paying job. There is more work to do, than I have time to do it.

Thats why I ride to work and back, if not I may not have time to ride.

Old 01-23-2009 | 12:10 PM
stillwater
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Effective Jan. 31st '09 I'm outta work. I've been working as a logging engineer in the BC forest industry for the last 15 years, survived many of the last layoffs - I guess it was only a matter of time. More housing starts are needed for this industry to pick up again.

Old 01-23-2009 | 12:38 PM
JW1200
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 21,569 Likes on 8,471 Posts

I've been out of work so long I feel like I retired. Look at my post count! That says it all.
Bikes down for the winter. it's 59* today. I'm just doing work on it as I find the money
to do it. There's 2 more things I want to do to my Harley, but I'm running out of time, and I ran out of $ a long time ago. This sucks, bout the time spring gets here, I'll find work, cutting down on riding time!

Old 01-23-2009 | 12:43 PM
Taylorized
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Six weeks off go back Monday

Old 01-23-2009 | 01:07 PM
NewHarleyGear
Road Warrior
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Resigned

Call me crazy, but I resigned about a month ago to develop my own small business. I've thought about it for 23 years and finally decided to give it a shot. Weak economy or not, it's been a labor of love. I've learned alot about website design, development, and marketing. Can you tell that I spend alot of time on my computer now?

Attached Images  

Quick Reply: How many out of work?