The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD made in China

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 06:21 AM
sporty2003
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Harley's in china cost twice as much as they do here. and you know you think about it. Harely did come out with a new frame this year on the touring bike's. maybe

Old 01-14-2009, 03:45 PM
extech
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not gonna happen. And the robotic machines in York are mostly from the U.S. and some from Canada, sure there is some asian electrical components to help the think and the computer network that tells them what to do is made in china (who else makes computer hardware??)
HD does everything they can to keep work in the US, there is a number of facilities located in the Milwaukee/Chicago area that manufactures parts and does chrome plating that HD could eliminate and send out of the country to save money but doesn't. If you want to complain about something, talk to your local "law makers" they've driven so much industry out of this country, and unions!......I won't even go there.

Old 01-14-2009, 05:38 PM
partsman366
6th Gear
Default not complaing just asking if anyone has been hearing this.

Originally Posted by extech
Not gonna happen. And the robotic machines in York are mostly from the U.S. and some from Canada, sure there is some asian electrical components to help the think and the computer network that tells them what to do is made in china (who else makes computer hardware??)
HD does everything they can to keep work in the US, there is a number of facilities located in the Milwaukee/Chicago area that manufactures parts and does chrome plating that HD could eliminate and send out of the country to save money but doesn't. If you want to complain about something, talk to your local "law makers" they've driven so much industry out of this country, and unions!......I won't even go there.

Old 01-14-2009, 10:27 PM
HoggyMtnBreakdown
Elite HDF Member
Received 121 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Mad Mike
I understand it's pronounced Hary Davidshon
Over here in Japan it's officially pronounced, "HAH-LAY - DAH-BEE-DOH-SON". "HAHLAY" for short, just as we call it a "Harley" in the U.S. I don't know know why they don't pronounce it "HAH-LEE" (closer to how we do), but I didn't come up with it.

Last edited by HoggyMtnBreakdown; 01-15-2009 at 03:13 AM.
Old 01-15-2009, 07:06 PM
Alter Kaker
Senior Rider
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I have a "pal" who insists he has a Harley. Sure enough, it's one of those Italian scooters. Can't wait for us to go riding to go riding together <G>.
I hear those little things are unstable when kicked by someone on the size of a Softail.
(Who - me?)

Old 03-03-2009, 10:56 PM
69siner
Intermediate
Default The Hog and the Dragon: Harley Looks to Chinese Motorcycle Market

Here is a good article

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/ne...ket/index.html

Old 03-13-2009, 11:21 AM
1skrewsloose
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Boy,I hope nothing comes of this, where I work we bought a couple of made in china machines-injection molding machines-the steel was like butter. After 3 months we had to replace all bearings, link and toggle pins, thay had all become egg shaped. Imagine what a swingarm would look like. I know everyone will not know what a IMM is, but suffice to say, if it's made in china, it's junk. Kinda like it was years ago about something made in Japan. P.S.These are supposed to be industrial machine that run in the range of 2 million cycles without fail, not 50 thou and fail.

Last edited by 1skrewsloose; 03-13-2009 at 11:28 AM.
Old 03-13-2009, 03:06 PM
Nay_Nay73
Tourer

I think we can almost all agree that one of the reasons we all love Harley so much is because it's American made, however at this stage of our declining economy we have to recognize that making things in China is cheaper and therefore will be cheaper for us to buy!
we'll see where this venture goes. Hopefully things will work out to where some day Harley will be all American again.

Old 03-13-2009, 03:07 PM
Nay_Nay73
Tourer

Originally Posted by 69siner

hey 69 i dig your red rims!!

Old 03-13-2009, 07:52 PM
MidwestRider
Road Master

Most people would not buy one then. HD aint stupid!

Quick Reply: HD made in China