The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riding on a sidewalk

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 12:48 PM
Beercan321
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Riding on a sidewalk

....I’m not referring to motorcycles but bicycles. During the summer months I see people riding bicycles on sidewalks fairly frequently. I’ve never once seen a LEO stop someone and tell them they can’t ride on the sidewalk. Ride your Harley on the sidewalk and see what happens... A bicycle is obviously a lot lighter in weight than a motorcycle but it can still cause injury if someone on a bike collided with a pedestrian.

I could be wrong but I think bicyclists look at it this way -

Car vs. bicyclist = moderate to excellent chance of serious injury/death.
Pedestrian vs. bicyclist = far less of a chance of serious injury/death.

Do you think bicyclists have the right to share the sidewalks with pedestrians or should they be on the road with cars and motorcycles?

Old 01-12-2009, 12:54 PM
IlDuce
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Beercan321
....I’m not referring to motorcycles but bicycles. During the summer months I see people riding bicycles on sidewalks fairly frequently. I’ve never once seen a LEO stop someone and tell them they can’t ride on the sidewalk. Ride your Harley on the sidewalk and see what happens... A bicycle is obviously a lot lighter in weight than a motorcycle but it can still cause injury if someone on a bike collided with a pedestrian.

I could be wrong but I think bicyclists look at it this way -

Car vs. bicyclist = moderate to excellent chance of serious injury/death.
Pedestrian vs. bicyclist = far less of a chance of serious injury/death.

Do you think bicyclists have the right to share the sidewalks with pedestrians or should they be on the road with cars and motorcycles?
a lot of roads by me have bicycle lanes

Old 01-12-2009, 03:06 PM
EZ48
Extreme HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 2 Posts

I think that if the device is human powered and able to navigate such a narrow path then it should be OK to ride on the sidewalk. JMHO. When I ride my bicycle I tend to stay on the road.

Old 01-12-2009, 03:13 PM
hotrodsandharleys73
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use the sidewalk when on my bicycle, especially on busy roads.

Old 01-12-2009, 03:18 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Cmon Man....if you are a LEO you have got to have better things to do than tell idiots on bicycles to stay off the sidewalk...unless you live in Mayberry. Now you see an idiot cruising down the sidewalk on a Harley and you KNOW he is either drunk or stupid or BOTH...

Old 01-12-2009, 07:42 PM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 709 Likes on 352 Posts

I know what the law says but I prefer they stay on the sidewalk. I hate it when they are on the street. Most don't obey traffic signs and they tend to obstruct traffic. I'm guilty of driving right by 'em, sorry.

Old 01-13-2009, 09:39 AM
TwiggyAZ
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I see so many bicyclist riding in my lane even when they have their own path, and I just don't get it, never will. SO, I figured, if they can do that, I can ride my motorcycle on the sidewalk, and well, I do! Better parking, I can watch the bike, and sometimes, I just figure I can be as crazy as others!!

Old 01-13-2009, 11:48 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by stro1965
I know what the law says but I prefer they stay on the sidewalk. I hate it when they are on the street. Most don't obey traffic signs and they tend to obstruct traffic. I'm guilty of driving right by 'em, sorry.
Exactly, every LEO friend I have here always has 50 things going on in his mind in his district to even pay attention to that stuff.

Old 01-13-2009, 09:42 PM
Geezer2
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I remember when I was a kid, we had to license our bikes and were expected to ride on the road and obey the rules. We were held accountable for ourselves......man I miss those days!

Old 01-20-2009, 02:20 AM
Juno
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KBFXDLI
Cmon Man....if you are a LEO you have got to have better things to do than tell idiots on bicycles to stay off the sidewalk...unless you live in Mayberry. Now you see an idiot cruising down the sidewalk on a Harley and you KNOW he is either drunk or stupid or BOTH...
Not Beercan.

Quick Reply: Riding on a sidewalk